Writing affective direct examinations Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JDanger007

New

Writing affective direct examinations

Post by JDanger007 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:46 pm

for those who are practicing or for those who have taken trial advocacy and done well. can anyone shed some light on strategies for writing impactful and affective direct examinations. I feel like I am trying to strategize and do it more than just a chronological order of things in a depo. I am in trial ad now, and doing research on this but curious if anyone has tips

Clearly

Gold

Re: Writing affective direct examinations

Post by Clearly » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:15 pm

Are you trying to write direct examinations that pertain to feelings or emotions?

JDanger007

New

Post by JDanger007 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:40 pm

actually yes. she doesnt know a whole lot about the incident but has a lot of personal knowledge about the "deceased" in the fact pattern and her situation

amta

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by amta » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:43 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by amta on Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetneers

New

Post by Sweetneers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:40 am

amtaDA916 wrote:
JDanger007 wrote:for those who are practicing or for those who have taken trial advocacy and done well. can anyone shed some light on strategies for writing impactful and affective direct examinations. I feel like I am trying to strategize and do it more than just a chronological order of things in a depo. I am in trial ad now, and doing research on this but curious if anyone has tips
I am a former collegiate mocker and now I coach and judge college. So maybe take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I have written dozens of lay and expert directs in my career. I would say chronological is the best way to do it, but you also want to put in plenty of material that will allow the jury/judge to get to know empathize with your witness (How long have you lived in Midlands?; What do you do for a living?; Why are you here today?). The most effective directs I have seen have been ones where the witness engages a jury/judge, it makes their testimony easier to follow. The other big thing is to sign post, if your talking about a specific date, your question should contain that date, "Now Ms. Doe, I want to talk to you about December 2, 2015. Do you remember that day?"

I am also more than happy to read your direct if you want.
Aye AMTA. This year's AMTA case sucks.

On a related note: agree. Personalize client, then go fairly chronological, only stepping out of order when it's good for you. Looping is also good. So if the witness says "Then Chase Covington said, "I shot Sydney Park at Rachter World" then left." your next question could be "After Chase Covington said, "I shot Sydney Park at Racterworld." what did the defendant do?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:44 am

Mock trial is absurd. And I think anyone who participates in it has an affective disorder.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:49 am

lacrossebrother wrote:Mock trial is absurd. And I think anyone who participates in it has an affective disorder.
why?

amta

Platinum

Post removed...

Post by amta » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Post removed...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”