Question about OCI Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
acr

Silver

Question about OCI

Post by acr » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:40 pm

I am a current 1L. My family called me today and wants to take a vacation to Hawaii the first week of August next summer (think like August 1-8). This is a big deal because our entire family rarely travels together. Would I miss any portion of OCI interviews by going on the trip or does OCI generally start later?

Edit: I have no intentions of missing OCI under any circumstances.
Last edited by acr on Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Re: Question about OCI

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 pm

Talk to career services. Do not, under any circumstances, miss OCI because of a vacation.

There was a thread about a guy/girl getting married during OCI and missed it. That OP wanted biglaw. A couple of posters were calling troll because "no one could possibly do this."

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:54 pm

OCI dates depend on the school, so ask your school

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:25 pm

For as much as this sucks, I honestly wouldn't schedule any big vacations past the middle of july. A lot of schools OCI start right in the beginning of August (mine was literally the first week). Even if yours is later, you should be mass mailing and trying to schedule interviews pre-OCI if possible. This depends on your market, but while NY has the biggest classes, they start hiring earlier and earlier every year. I did a couple of pre OCI callbacks in late July and there was a thread on TLS with ppl that had offers for NYC firms at that point.

Miss one vacation and next year you can go anywhere you want after your (hopefully) SA is done.

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Also, even if you confirm the OCI dates, the OCI dates could change (my school moved up OCI by a week in like, February).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Agreed with all the above comments. Vacation once you locked up your job.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:28 pm

Would I miss any portion of OCI interviews by going on the trip or does OCI generally start later?
1) Ask career services.
2) Ask career services 2 questions: First, when is OCI next fall? Second, what chances are there that OCI changes dates between now and next fall?
3) If the answers you receive are: "Some time other than the first week in August" and "Approximately zero," still respond with a third question: My family is planning an out of town vacation during the first week of August. Good idea or bad idea for me to go with respect to OCI?
4) If there is any hint of equivocation on career services' side, don't do the vacation.

Generally, law school has been a time of no vacations. I got to visit my family for Christmas two years ago in the middle of 1L, I'm going back to visit my family this Christmas, and I'm going on a small trip during spring break this year. That's it. Literally the only reasons that my wife and I are travelling during law school are to see my family and to scout a city that we may want to move to once I graduate.
Last edited by totesTheGoat on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:31 pm

And on the flip side, tell your family that August is going to be a busy time for you and if they would reconsider planning a christmas vacation instead. I mean, it's like 10 months out.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:57 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
Would I miss any portion of OCI interviews by going on the trip or does OCI generally start later?
Generally, law school has been a time of no vacations. I got to visit my family for Christmas two years ago in the middle of 1L, I'm going back to visit my family this Christmas, and I'm going on a small trip during spring break this year. That's it. Literally the only reasons that my wife and I are travelling during law school are to see my family and to scout a city that we may want to move to once I graduate.
Not to be a jerk if this is a resource/money issue, but I've taken the complete opposite approach. Trying to travel as much as possible during 2L/3L because I'm assuming it will be much more difficult to take off during real work than it is to go on a trip for 10 of my 40 days of winter break.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Winter is Coming wrote: Not to be a jerk if this is a resource/money issue, but I've taken the complete opposite approach. Trying to travel as much as possible during 2L/3L because I'm assuming it will be much more difficult to take off during real work than it is to go on a trip for 10 of my 40 days of winter break.
I'm going for just the opposite approach. If all goes to plan, I'll be in a job that is much better about vacation than my current situation. It bears mentioning that I'm in a relatively unique situation in that I work full-time and go to school part-time, so breaks tend to be time to catch up on work that was neglected due to school.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:51 pm

i spent the week or so before oci mass mailing, researching firms, networking, and practicing interviewing

i'm sure some people don't do that stuff but if you're like me and like to be prepared it'll b difficult to vacation (and enjoy it) right before oci

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:07 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote: Not to be a jerk if this is a resource/money issue, but I've taken the complete opposite approach. Trying to travel as much as possible during 2L/3L because I'm assuming it will be much more difficult to take off during real work than it is to go on a trip for 10 of my 40 days of winter break.
I'm going for just the opposite approach. If all goes to plan, I'll be in a job that is much better about vacation than my current situation. It bears mentioning that I'm in a relatively unique situation in that I work full-time and go to school part-time, so breaks tend to be time to catch up on work that was neglected due to school.
Ah yeah that makes more sense then. Good luck, hope that works out.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:00 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
1) Ask career services.
2) Ask career services 2 questions: First, when is OCI next fall? Second, what chances are there that OCI changes dates between now and next fall?
3) If the answers you receive are: "Some time other than the first week in August" and "Approximately zero," still respond with a third question: My family is planning an out of town vacation during the first week of August. Good idea or bad idea for me to go with respect to OCI?
4) If there is any hint of equivocation on career services' side, don't do the vacation.
seems credited

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:48 pm

Obviously, don't miss OCI for vacation under pretty much any circumstances. However, even if your OCI isn't that week, that is going to be right around the time where you really are putting in your OCI leg work. See if the family can change the week, or unfortunately, sit this one out.

As for what someone mentioned about not taking vacations during law school... i'm in totally opposite camp. Take long weekends, hell, even take a week off during 2L if you can swing it. Of course financially this isn't always feasible, but law school for me has been a great time to take impromptu trips (nothing extravagant, i.e. New Orleans, Chicago, beach, etc).

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:49 pm

vacation in july. i honestly would keep august and september completely clear. if oci goes poorly, youre gonna need september for late screeners and callbacks.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Jim Jones wrote:vacation in july. i honestly would keep august and september completely clear. if oci goes poorly, youre gonna need september for late screeners and callbacks.
def better to take a week off your 1L internship for a vacation than fuck up OCI

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:59 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:vacation in july. i honestly would keep august and september completely clear. if oci goes poorly, youre gonna need september for late screeners and callbacks.
def better to take a week off your 1L internship for a vacation than fuck up OCI
yea, i shoulda also say, maybe july is kinda bad too if youre gonna try and do pre oci job shit (which you absolutely should). go during your 1L gig or wait until xmas, or spring break, or afte ryour SA or literlaly any time other than summer after 1L

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:57 am

pancakes3 wrote: def better to take a week off your 1L internship for a vacation than fuck up OCI
This.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”