The straight talk: how bad of an idea is an LL.M. for me? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
legal_qq

New

The straight talk: how bad of an idea is an LL.M. for me?

Post by legal_qq » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:36 am

Hey guys. Question: I am American but went abroad for my legal education due to my dual citizenship. I came out with no loans so that's good. I'm a qualified attorney and I've been working at one of the Netherlands' top firms for 3 years, and I believe I was very highly ranked in my school (top 5% or similar the last time I checked). I also hold an undergraduate degree in Italian law, so I am well versed on many aspects of European Union law (not sure if this makes me an attractive employee for U.S. international firms).

I want to return to the U.S. and practice law sometime in the future, possibly within the next three years or so. To do that, I have to take a 1 year conversion LL.M. I wanted to know if it's worth the high price to try to go to a school like NYU or Columbia or if I should just do the cheapest LL.M. possible and try to find work laterally rather than based on my education (I know NYU and Columbia have meets and greets with companies) and if I'd be at least able to find some semblance of work afterwards. The idea of taking out exorbitant student loans really bothers me - if I go back to the U.S. in three or four years, who knows how expensive those places will be? 100k isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Basically it all hinges upon one question: do I want to put myself into debt for a very highly ranked LL.M., given my work experience and education, as a "bet" on finding work in NYC (my hometown)? Or do I just go to any ole LL.M. program in the interest of sitting the NY bar and hope I can swing a job in NY with my resume (work in an international firm)?

Any opinions--even negative ones--would be appreciated. Be as brutal as you wanna be. Thanks!

legal_qq

New

Re: The straight talk: how bad of an idea is an LL.M. for me?

Post by legal_qq » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:49 am

One option I was wondering about is trying to find a firm, whether U.S. or European which would sponsor an LL.M. for me so I can obtain admission in the NY bar. I know there are a very few that will.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:51 am

Do you want to do Tax law? if not, then I guess you should go to the cheapest t-14. I've heard of Big 4 companies sponsoring LLMs.

legal_qq

New

Post by legal_qq » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:53 am

You know, I'm not totally opposed to tax law. However, my specializations are IP and competition. But tax is very interesting to me, yes.

When you say Big 4 firms will sponsor me, that's a ray of hope for me. The problem is getting hired by one! :P I was offered a position a few years ago at one of them in Italy but turned it down to work in the Netherlands. Would it be out of the realm of possibility to contact them in NY and see if they might sponsor me for an LL.M.?

sd1111

New

Post by sd1111 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:02 am

legal_qq wrote:Hey guys. Question: I am American but went abroad for my legal education due to my dual citizenship. I came out with no loans so that's good. I'm a qualified attorney and I've been working at one of the Netherlands' top firms for 3 years, and I believe I was very highly ranked in my school (top 5% or similar the last time I checked). I also hold an undergraduate degree in Italian law, so I am well versed on many aspects of European Union law (not sure if this makes me an attractive employee for U.S. international firms).

I want to return to the U.S. and practice law sometime in the future, possibly within the next three years or so. To do that, I have to take a 1 year conversion LL.M. I wanted to know if it's worth the high price to try to go to a school like NYU or Columbia or if I should just do the cheapest LL.M. possible and try to find work laterally rather than based on my education (I know NYU and Columbia have meets and greets with companies) and if I'd be at least able to find some semblance of work afterwards. The idea of taking out exorbitant student loans really bothers me - if I go back to the U.S. in three or four years, who knows how expensive those places will be? 100k isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Basically it all hinges upon one question: do I want to put myself into debt for a very highly ranked LL.M., given my work experience and education, as a "bet" on finding work in NYC (my hometown)? Or do I just go to any ole LL.M. program in the interest of sitting the NY bar and hope I can swing a job in NY with my resume (work in an international firm)?

Any opinions--even negative ones--would be appreciated. Be as brutal as you wanna be. Thanks!
I wonder why you prefer to take the LL.M degree rather the JD.Based on your experiences, you can almost certainly graduated from JD within 2 year, which is just one year more than the LL.M. If you score LSAT high enough, the JD expense would be even less than LL.M. Will you consider to take the JD?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legal_qq

New

Post by legal_qq » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:04 am

Sure--why not?

How good of an LSAT score would I need to make a significant dent in the cost of a J.D.? I would imagine that I'd probably not be able to work for those 2 years, so I would have to factor in being out of (legal) work as well. I mean, I'm not a snob. I could still work evenings doing anything, to be sure. I'm just curious about how much cheaper it would be if I did a J.D.? I thought it was the opposite.
Last edited by legal_qq on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:09 am

sd1111 wrote:
legal_qq wrote:Hey guys. Question: I am American but went abroad for my legal education due to my dual citizenship. I came out with no loans so that's good. I'm a qualified attorney and I've been working at one of the Netherlands' top firms for 3 years, and I believe I was very highly ranked in my school (top 5% or similar the last time I checked). I also hold an undergraduate degree in Italian law, so I am well versed on many aspects of European Union law (not sure if this makes me an attractive employee for U.S. international firms).

I wonder why you prefer to take the LL.M degree rather the JD.Based on your experiences, you can almost certainly graduated from JD within 2 year, which is just one year more than the LL.M. If you score LSAT high enough, the JD expense would be even less than LL.M. Will you consider to take the JD?
Could you explain yourself? Sincere question.

sd1111

New

Post by sd1111 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:13 am

mvp99 wrote:
sd1111 wrote:

The reason for my response is that he/she has graduated with bachelor of law degree in a foreign country, and I know several top law schools allow students like him/her graduated earlier than 3 year because several credits required to get the JD degree could be compensated by the former undergradute education. But it has to be confirmed by each law school.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:16 am

OK never heard of that but OP be sure it complies with bar requirements

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:33 am

sd1111 wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
sd1111 wrote:

The reason for my response is that he/she has graduated with bachelor of law degree in a foreign country, and I know several top law schools allow students like him/her graduated earlier than 3 year because several credits required to get the JD degree could be compensated by the former undergradute education. But it has to be confirmed by each law school.
I know many people with foreign LLB doing JD, and to my knowledge all of them will spend 3 years. Some law schools have two year JD for international lawyers, but the only school with 2 year program worth attending is NU. But even if you can finish JD in two years, I do not think that's necessarily a good idea. Biglaw recruiting has structured timelines (OCI->SA->offer), which are really designed for the three year program.

Doing an LLM is fine, and some people did find jobs in NYC, but odds are against you. I think the best approach is to lateral to the European office of a US firm, and then try to relocate to US (firm may ask you to get an LLM). Several US law firms have very good EU competition law practice.

If you decide to get an LLM with the intention of biglaw, I would argue that only HYSC will give you a fair chance.

legal_qq

New

Post by legal_qq » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 am

My firm actually has a U.S. office (right in NYC). I should ask them maybe if they'd sponsor me?

sd1111

New

Post by sd1111 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:45 am

BKB wrote:
sd1111 wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
sd1111 wrote:

I know many people with foreign LLB doing JD, and to my knowledge all of them will spend 3 years. Some law schools have two year JD for international lawyers, but the only school with 2 year program worth attending is NU. But even if you can finish JD in two years, I do not think that's necessarily a good idea. Biglaw recruiting has structured timelines (OCI->SA->offer), which are really designed for the three year program.

Doing an LLM is fine, and some people did find jobs in NYC, but odds are against you. I think the best approach is to lateral to the European office of a US firm, and then try to relocate to US (firm may ask you to get an LLM). Several US law firms have very good EU competition law practice.

If you decide to get an LLM with the intention of biglaw, I would argue that only HYSC will give you a fair chance.
However, seems like NU is going to cancel the 2-year program.

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:06 pm

sd1111 wrote:
BKB wrote:
sd1111 wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
sd1111 wrote:

They are canceling the 2-year program for US students. But the program for international lawyers is a different one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:07 pm

legal_qq wrote:My firm actually has a U.S. office (right in NYC). I should ask them maybe if they'd sponsor me?
I think that's a good idea, especially if you have some compelling reasons (family, SO, etc.).

sd1111

New

Post by sd1111 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:10 pm

BKB wrote:
sd1111 wrote:
BKB wrote:
sd1111 wrote:
mvp99 wrote:
sd1111 wrote:

They are canceling the 2-year program for US students. But the program for international lawyers is a different one.
Yeah, the advanced JD. Are you familiar with the 2-year for international lawyer JD program? Do you know whether this program would have a looser LSAT requirements? Thanks in advance.

legal_qq

New

Post by legal_qq » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:12 pm

BKB wrote:
legal_qq wrote:My firm actually has a U.S. office (right in NYC). I should ask them maybe if they'd sponsor me?
I think that's a good idea, especially if you have some compelling reasons (family, SO, etc.).
SO is Dutch but my parents are getting older and as they approach their twilight years, I'd like to be back in NY.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”