Anybody know of someone who has made the jump to B school after law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
goldlaw123

New

Anybody know of someone who has made the jump to B school after law school?

Post by goldlaw123 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:17 pm

Currently at a t-14 law school, but am slowly realizing I have zero interest in practicing law. Did undergrad at t-10 USNWR institution and have a 760 GMAT on record.

Anybody out there know of someone who has made a similar jump to HBS or Stanford GSB? I am entertaining making the move to B school after I graduate law school.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Re: Anybody know of someone who has made the jump to B school after law school?

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:30 pm

Do you have any work experience?

legit

Bronze

Post by legit » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:37 pm

This does not answer your question, but have you considered a dual degree?

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:40 pm

why don't you just skip B-school and go straight into business gig? If I was you, I'd start brushing up on my interviewing skill and sending out resume. It also depends on how costly finishing law school will be.

goldlaw123

New

Post by goldlaw123 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:41 pm

1.5 years in PE

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldlaw123

New

Post by goldlaw123 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:59 pm

legit wrote:This does not answer your question, but have you considered a dual degree?
Yes but my current schools mba program is not in line with my stats lol. I don't want to waste a 760 gmat maybe.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:00 pm

Harvard Law to Stanford Business:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathew_Martoma

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:09 pm

Last edited by lawlorbust on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xiao_long

New

Post by xiao_long » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:19 pm

goldlaw123 wrote:Currently at a t-14 law school, but am slowly realizing I have zero interest in practicing law. Did undergrad at t-10 USNWR institution and have a 760 GMAT on record.

Anybody out there know of someone who has made a similar jump to HBS or Stanford GSB? I am entertaining making the move to B school after I graduate law school.
Why not just skip graduate school altogether and become an entrepreneur? Why go into more student loan debt and waste more precious, irreplaceable youth? A graduate diploma, even from Harvard, doesn't guarantee anything in today's economy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:35 am

Not exactly similar, but a lot of people here know that I was law school or bust. Ultimately decided to work for two years in the corporate world and now I'm pursuing an MBA as my employer will pay for it and my GMAT is on par with yours. Very excited about the decision.

i realize that this answers absolutely nothing that you asked.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:22 am

goldlaw123 wrote:Currently at a t-14 law school, but am slowly realizing I have zero interest in practicing law. Did undergrad at t-10 USNWR institution and have a 760 GMAT on record.

I know of a person or two who did an MBA and then grabbed a JD later in life, and a number of people who are in the 1L or 2L year and apply (and get admitted) to the B-school to do the joint degree.

I feel like it would be extremely difficult to graduate from law school and then go to b-school with no intervening work experience. That said, extremely difficult is not the same as impossible. Every rule has exceptions.

ETA: B school at Stanford and Harvard is not all about stats. Stanford even moreso is about who you are as a person and whether or not you fit. The stats are just the baseline prerequisite that pretty much everyone has, but doesn't set anyone apart.

UpandDown97

Bronze

Post by UpandDown97 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:35 am

xiao_long wrote:

Why not just skip graduate school altogether and become an entrepreneur? Why go into more student loan debt and waste more precious, irreplaceable youth? A graduate diploma, even from Harvard, doesn't guarantee anything in today's economy.
Ah yes, because becoming an entreprenuer means keeping your youth- which I'm guessing means not working as hard?-and taking less risk than having any degree whatsoever from Harvard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”