Concurrent M.S. BIOE with JD? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
purkinje

New

Concurrent M.S. BIOE with JD?

Post by purkinje » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Anyone have any experience doing this? If so, did it detract from your ability to do well in law school?

I know lots of people do their masters before law school, and I'd love to hear from them as well on the difficulty of masters programs, and if they think they could have done well in both had they done it concurrently.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Concurrent M.S. BIOE with JD?

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:18 pm

Many Duke students pursue & earn dual degrees. One current student wrote me that he/she thought it was more than 20% of the class.

purkinje

New

Post by purkinje » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Many Duke students pursue & earn dual degrees. One current student wrote me that he/she thought it was more than 20% of the class.
Do you know if it's mostly MBA/MAs versus MS? Trying to gauge if I'm biting off more than I can chew

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:36 pm

I know a couple classmates that have done concurrent MS EE evening program. It didn't seem that bad because they could apply most those credits towards law school as electives.

still

Bronze

Post by still » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:00 am

it sounds like its gonna be hell

i know this bc i recently graduated from UCLA as a bio-e. My senior year was pretty much identical to a 1yr masters sans some seminars and comp exams

that being said, from what i gather, having a masters in an engineering field will give you a HUGE advantage at oci and job prospects in general and more than make up for any JD gpa loss. However, bio-related fields oftentimes require phDs. Still, bioengineering > soft bio and if you have a specialization in the field and have some good research under your belt you should be good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”