Cornell? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LegalEagle111

New

Cornell?

Post by LegalEagle111 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:59 pm

I took the LSAT in 2014 and have already been accepted to several schools starting in the fall of 2015 or the spring of 2016.

Today I got an email from Cornell Law basically saying that since I'm a URM they would like me to consider applying for this fall? They said that the deadline will be waived but my questions are:

Is this just a way for them to get more application money?
Wouldn't seats be filled by this time?
Or could this just be a random/good opportunity?

Any help/advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Trippel

Bronze

Re: Cornell?

Post by Trippel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:07 pm

What schools have you been accepted to? What is your LSAT?

LegalEagle111

New

Post by LegalEagle111 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Trippel wrote:What schools have you been accepted to? What is your LSAT?
My two top choices right now are SMU or Baylor. My LSAT isn't great (153) but everything else on my application is strong.

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:55 pm

LegalEagle111 wrote:
Trippel wrote:What schools have you been accepted to? What is your LSAT?
My two top choices right now are SMU or Baylor. My LSAT isn't great (153) but everything else on my application is strong.
I have a hard time accepting that they are soliciting URM's for the purpose of increasing their rejection numbers. It really could be that Cornell does not feel the Class of 2018 is diverse enough. That being said, a 153 does seem low for Cornell.

I'm sure you have heard this a million times, but is there any way that you can retake the LSAT and reapply this fall? A few more points on the LSAT would do wonders for your application.

Also, please read everything on TLS about Baylor-- know what you are getting yourself into. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:20 pm

Why not apply & see what happens ? What have you got to lose ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:46 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Why not apply & see what happens ? What have you got to lose ?
+1

You may not be able to increase your score or get better offers, but you almost certainly will get options at the same level if you go through one more cycle.

As far as the URM email goes, I really felt that Cornell was just being transparent in saying that they wanted "people of color" at their school. I got the email with numbers right in their typical range, but I think sending you the waiver means they would seriously consider you for admission. A retake would help for schools like Cornell in terms of $ since right now your LSAT suggests they would offer you sticker.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Waivers really don't have any effect on admission. Sure, you can apply, but they are likely just trying to get more people to apply to their school to look more competitive.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:53 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Waivers really don't have any effect on admission. Sure, you can apply, but they are likely just trying to get more people to apply to their school to look more competitive.
This isnt a fee waiver email. They're asking him/her to apply to enter THIS fall. It is an odd email to get in mid July.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:Waivers really don't have any effect on admission. Sure, you can apply, but they are likely just trying to get more people to apply to their school to look more competitive.
This isnt a fee waiver email. They're asking him/her to apply to enter THIS fall. It is an odd email to get in mid July.
Oops I misread that. Sorry, disregard. Yea in that case, why not just apply and see what happens. If you already applied to other schools earlier in the cycle, you should have your application complete and ready to go anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:56 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:35 pm

you should retake the LSAT and reapply this fall if you intend to pursue law regardless

bigcityguy0

New

Post by bigcityguy0 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:24 am

Haha, trust me, you won't be getting into Cornell with an LSAT of 153.

Also, this guy is Cuban, so his URM-status won't be taking him far.

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:20 pm

One way to find out: apply ( nothing to lose)

I wouldn't count on an acceptance but on the other hand even if accepted you could always retake anyways for $

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”