Academic C&F Issue?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Broncos15

Academic C&F Issue?

Postby Broncos15 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Hello,

I want to post this for peace of mind-

Is paying for a editing service for your Undergrad papers considered academic dishonesty for C&F purposes? My school does offer a free writing center for UG papers but I have noticed since it is students who are the editors working with you it has lower quality than using a professional paper editing service

IMHO I don't see any problem with it since a.) the university offers a writing center to edit papers so its essentially the same service even though I'm going with a better quality one. and b.) because I am using an editing service and not a service that writes papers for you

Broncos15

Re: Academic C&F Issue?

Postby Broncos15 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:47 pm

I understand its very unlikely a prof would even ask - but wanted to be on the safe side in case they were to ask

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:50 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:50 pm

why would you even pay for this? is it that hard to edit a paper? or can't you just have a friend do it?

KMart

Postby KMart » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:54 pm

You still wrote the paper. The substance is yours. Someone just edited the grammar, right? That being said the school's writing centers often aren't that bad and you often don't see an economic benefit in paying for these services. Read it aloud. Have a friend read it. Take it to the writing center. Those tricks work.

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:42 pm

KMart wrote:You still wrote the paper. The substance is yours. Someone just edited the grammar, right? That being said the school's writing centers often aren't that bad and you often don't see an economic benefit in paying for these services. Read it aloud. Have a friend read it. Take it to the writing center. Those tricks work.

I still use the writing center, read to myself etc....I use the editing services mostly to be safe ( grade deflation is big at my school where anything over a 3.25 GPA is pretty good,....I'm not saying this to make excuses since i know law schools don't really care about it, but more so as a rationale as to why I use it

in my case, I have seen GPA benefits that outweighed the costs from it- I got an A in a tough class where the grade was completely based off paper writing ( less than 15% A's)

Even though it costs money.. my major ( History) is writing intensive so its worth it. ...I'd rather graduate with a high GPA and pay a little bit more to get it

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:16 pm

I think profs might well have a problem with it, particularly because writing centers at schools are usually there to help you improve your writing, not simply to edit your work for you (e.g. they'd read through it and tell you you need help with structure/have consistent comma errors/whatever, but they don't just go through and fix it for you). If someone edits your papers for you, they're not all your own work. I would ask your profs if it's something they'd object to.

Return to “Law School FAQ”