Third LSAT yes or no?! Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
170orDie

New

Third LSAT yes or no?!

Post by 170orDie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:09 am

Hi guys,
So here is my situation, I have taken the LSAT twice now, first the September 2014 test which i scored a 162 on. Knowing that I can do much better I reapplied myself and studied using various different study guides posted on TLS. I began averaging a solid 173 on about 7 tests in a row. So I went in taking this past June 2015 test with a lot of confidence. However, the night before/day of for whatever reason, be it nerves, stress, anxiety or all three I choked. First two sections I felt terrible, couldn't focus couldn't do anything. I got myself together and found out that the first section was experimental but I know I had to rush the second section (LR). LR is where I dominate, i typically miss just 1 on each section, and yet I feel there is a great chance that I missed multiple due to my rushing just to finish.

So now, I have two questions:
1) Should I just cancel this score?
My one thing thats keeping me from this is that although I rushed I am generally very competent at the LR so I'm thinking perhaps I owned the section even with my initial mental collapse. Also I i feel I dominated the LG section on this test which i normally dont,( I'm pretty sure I'll miss 2 at most and i miss 3-5 on average.)
2) How much does it hurt your application to take 3 LSATs? I'm looking for a t14, and specifically I really want Boalt Law school, or any top 8.

Some considerations are that I have a 3.6 GPA ( pretty low:( ) this is because I decided to double major in Poli sci and Comp Sci and I guess i couldnt keep up the stellar GPA im normally used to. So anyway, given my circumstances I'd love to hear some thoughts/recommendations from you guys!

Thanks!

PoopNpants

Silver

Re: Third LSAT yes or no?!

Post by PoopNpants » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:01 am

Don't cancel. Relax. if your June score isn't high enough for you, re-take in Oct. I don't think any school besides Yale would care much about 3 takes, it's really the highest that is what counts. I don't think you could gain anything from cancelling but you could potentially lose a good score, it's normal for people to feel like they under-performed on the real thing.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't cancel based on your description. I felt horrible about one of my takes, and scored 175+ on it. Multiple LSATs didn't adversely effect my cycle, or if they did it wasn't to the point that it mattered.

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Don't cancel. I thought I completely bombed in December (think low 160s) and ended up with a 170+. I was really nervous and did horrendously in LG, which never happens, but ended up having the best LR and RC performance of my life without knowing it. I also had 3 takes, and will be enrolling at a T14 in the fall.

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:09 pm

170orDie wrote:Hi guys,
So here is my situation, I have taken the LSAT twice now, first the September 2014 test which i scored a 162 on. Knowing that I can do much better I reapplied myself and studied using various different study guides posted on TLS. I began averaging a solid 173 on about 7 tests in a row. So I went in taking this past June 2015 test with a lot of confidence. However, the night before/day of for whatever reason, be it nerves, stress, anxiety or all three I choked. First two sections I felt terrible, couldn't focus couldn't do anything. I got myself together and found out that the first section was experimental but I know I had to rush the second section (LR). LR is where I dominate, i typically miss just 1 on each section, and yet I feel there is a great chance that I missed multiple due to my rushing just to finish.

So now, I have two questions:
1) Should I just cancel this score?
My one thing thats keeping me from this is that although I rushed I am generally very competent at the LR so I'm thinking perhaps I owned the section even with my initial mental collapse. Also I i feel I dominated the LG section on this test which i normally dont,( I'm pretty sure I'll miss 2 at most and i miss 3-5 on average.)
2) How much does it hurt your application to take 3 LSATs? I'm looking for a t14, and specifically I really want Boalt Law school, or any top 8.

Some considerations are that I have a 3.6 GPA ( pretty low:( ) this is because I decided to double major in Poli sci and Comp Sci and I guess i couldnt keep up the stellar GPA im normally used to. So anyway, given my circumstances I'd love to hear some thoughts/recommendations from you guys!

Thanks!
3.6 isn't bad....Its not stellar but not low.....3.6X's can get into Harvard

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

170orDie

New

Post by 170orDie » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Wow thanks for the replies guys! You guys gave me a lot of new hope. Was definitely feeling pretty hopeless for a while. Good luck to everyone!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:13 am

PoopNpants wrote:Don't cancel. Relax. if your June score isn't high enough for you, re-take in Oct. I don't think any school besides Yale would care much about 3 takes, it's really the highest that is what counts. I don't think you could gain anything from cancelling but you could potentially lose a good score, it's normal for people to feel like they under-performed on the real thing.
This post nails it perfectly. Good luck OP. I'm sure you did great. If not, you have another retake. Don't waste a score. A low score won't hurt.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:22 am

Don't cancel. Retake in October if you aren't happy with your score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”