Family Friend - Partner in Firm

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
DaHead2Head514

Family Friend - Partner in Firm

Postby DaHead2Head514 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:03 pm

I have a close family friend who is a partner at a major, national BigLaw firm. I'm not sure if this is the place to start this forum, but how does that affect my chances at said firm? Or maybe at comparable firms if I get some sort of recommendation? I'm probably in no position to just simply ask him to the firm, so I'd just like to see if anyone had any perspective on this. Thanks.

Drowninmyowntears

Re: Family Friend - Partner in Firm

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:14 pm

DaHead2Head514 wrote:I have a close family friend who is a partner at a major, national BigLaw firm. I'm not sure if this is the place to start this forum, but how does that affect my chances at said firm? Or maybe at comparable firms if I get some sort of recommendation? I'm probably in no position to just simply ask him to the firm, so I'd just like to see if anyone had any perspective on this. Thanks.

I'd say that helps you out a lot. 85% of jobs are never advertised to the public. It's SO much about who you know. Ask any lawyer and I guarantee they have had at least one or multiple jobs they got because they know someone. Just tell him you are applying and ask him to put in a good word. Network, network, network.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:32 pm

DaHead2Head514 wrote:I have a close family friend who is a partner at a major, national BigLaw firm. I'm not sure if this is the place to start this forum, but how does that affect my chances at said firm?

It has a positive--but likely minimal--effect on your chances. It might help you get an interview that you wouldn't otherwise get, which could help.

Keep in mind that big law firms have a lot of partners with a lot of family friends. In general, those firms hire associates based on an applicant's law school, grades, and personality. Cronyism happens, but it's relatively rare in associate hiring.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:52 pm

The friend may be able to get you an interview you wouldn't otherwise get, but that's about it unless he or she chairs the hiring committee.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:00 pm

kalvano wrote:The friend may be able to get you an interview you wouldn't otherwise get, but that's about it unless he or she chairs the hiring committee.

This. It helps to know someone because you will likely get a screener interview. But I know a lot of people who have parents in big law (partners) who did not get an offer. So of course it's a nice plus but don't put too much stock in that happening.

Return to “Law School FAQ”