JD as Dr.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lmfao
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby lmfao » Tue May 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
lmfao wrote:
notanumber wrote:Also, only a few people in any profession achieve "great things" (although the definition of that is also rather suspicious). In fact, I suspect that the percentage of the population who have achieved both "great things" and earned a Ph.D. is larger than the percentage of the general population that has achieved "great things" or the percentage of lawyers who have achieved "great things."


Exactly.

Patriot1208 wrote:It's true that many peoples work is extremely irrelevant. Nobody said otherwise. But your argument was that PhD's are not irrelevant because PhD's are responsible for many great discoveries. But this is ~1% of those with PhD's. And let's be clear, teaching is not these people's jobs. Research is their job. We'd be better off if more classes were taught by adjuncts with experience in their field and not some theorist who has done nothing but perform studies.


Please read notanumber's post again. He pretty much nailed it.

I honestly don't get the hate/dislike for the PhD's on this board.

I'm unsure how you can be so dense to not realize that this isn't the dispute.

The comment was that PhD's demand be called doctors to feel better about their irrelevant lives.

You countered with "should I even bother reminding you that PhDs are primarily repsonsible for most discoveries?"

Let me break this down for you since you obviously have such a hard time following the discussion. Your post implied that demanding to be called a doctor is ok because people with PhD's are responsible for a lot of discoveries. I countered with, so few people can claim to have made great discoveries that your argument is stupid. Now you still can't seem to comprehend that exchange and are accusing people of hating PhDs.


Let me refresh your memory:

You - "Being called a Doctor as a Phd is something pretentious academics do to feel validation for their largely irrelevant lives."
Me - "should I even bother reminding you that PhDs are primarily responsible for most discoveries?""

I never implied that "demanding to be called a doctor is ok because people with PhD's are responsible for a lot of discoveries". *facepalm* I said that PhDs are primarily responsible for most discoveries; hence, you cannot really call them irrelevant. (I guess you can... if you are an ignorant prick)

I also said that, by definition, anyone who has a PhD has the right be called "Dr.". Yes, even if you graduated from the UOP with a degree in Music.

Bildungsroman wrote:People here don't hate/dislike people with PhDs, just those that demand everyone address them with a special title because of their degree.


I seem to be in the minority here as I do not see anything wrong with calling an MD/PhD a "Doctor" outside of the professional setting. They earned the title and deserve the respect that comes with it.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby AreJay711 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Look, if you want to call someone doctor, go ahead. People here just think that it is pretentious and that most PhD's are actually pretty pointless which is the truth. I guess they are qualified to have the title but that really doesn't mean that people should feel compelled to give it to them. I'm qualified to be called Mr. Jay and most people don't bother with that.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 17, 2011 5:30 pm

I think PhD's should be able to give themselves a title/new name of their choosing.

For instance, I would so a Comp. Sci. PhD and call myself:

Resoluteness of the Pear. And everytime somebody wanted to address me, they would have to call me, "Resoluteness of the Pear."

How are you doing today?

Quite fine. How about you, Resoluteness of the Pear?

Oh, I'm doing fine madam.

Oh Resoluteness of the Pear, lets go back to my place and bang. Your awesome title makes my panties explode off my crotch.

lmfao
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby lmfao » Tue May 17, 2011 5:34 pm

I feel like I am a dying breed. :cry:

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby masochist » Tue May 17, 2011 5:37 pm

ResolutePear wrote:I think PhD's should be able to give themselves a title/new name of their choosing.

For instance, I would so a Comp. Sci. PhD and call myself:

Resoluteness of the Pear. And everytime somebody wanted to address me, they would have to call me, "Resoluteness of the Pear."

How are you doing today?

Quite fine. How about you, Resoluteness of the Pear?

Oh, I'm doing fine madam.

Oh Resoluteness of the Pear, lets go back to my place and bang. Your awesome title makes my panties explode off my crotch.


I am in favor of this compromise. From this point forward, please refer to me as either Masocist the Pious, Defender of the Faith, Lord of Andersonville between Foster and Lawrence, and Viscount of the communal laundry room or as dickhead.

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby notanumber » Tue May 17, 2011 5:46 pm

ResolutePear wrote:I think PhD's should be able to give themselves a title/new name of their choosing.

For instance, I would so a Comp. Sci. PhD and call myself:

Resoluteness of the Pear. And everytime somebody wanted to address me, they would have to call me, "Resoluteness of the Pear."

How are you doing today?

Quite fine. How about you, Resoluteness of the Pear?

Oh, I'm doing fine madam.

Oh Resoluteness of the Pear, lets go back to my place and bang. Your awesome title makes my panties explode off my crotch.


You know, you can always legally change your name...

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:46 pm

lmfao wrote:I said that PhDs are primarily responsible for most discoveries; hence, you cannot really call them irrelevant. (I guess you can... if you are an ignorant prick)


Find the flaw in this argument.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 17, 2011 5:49 pm

notanumber wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:I think PhD's should be able to give themselves a title/new name of their choosing.

For instance, I would so a Comp. Sci. PhD and call myself:

Resoluteness of the Pear. And everytime somebody wanted to address me, they would have to call me, "Resoluteness of the Pear."

How are you doing today?

Quite fine. How about you, Resoluteness of the Pear?

Oh, I'm doing fine madam.

Oh Resoluteness of the Pear, lets go back to my place and bang. Your awesome title makes my panties explode off my crotch.


You know, you can always legally change your name...


But it had no academic relevance. Duh. :roll:

lmfao
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby lmfao » Tue May 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
lmfao wrote:I said that PhDs are primarily responsible for most discoveries; hence, you cannot really call them irrelevant. (I guess you can... if you are an ignorant prick)


Find the flaw in this argument.


--ImageRemoved--

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby aliarrow » Tue May 17, 2011 5:52 pm

lmfao wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lmfao wrote:I said that PhDs are primarily responsible for most discoveries; hence, you cannot really call them irrelevant. (I guess you can... if you are an ignorant prick)


Find the flaw in this argument.


--ImageRemoved--


--ImageRemoved--

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby notanumber » Tue May 17, 2011 5:53 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
notanumber wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:I think PhD's should be able to give themselves a title/new name of their choosing.

For instance, I would so a Comp. Sci. PhD and call myself:

Resoluteness of the Pear. And everytime somebody wanted to address me, they would have to call me, "Resoluteness of the Pear."

How are you doing today?

Quite fine. How about you, Resoluteness of the Pear?

Oh, I'm doing fine madam.

Oh Resoluteness of the Pear, lets go back to my place and bang. Your awesome title makes my panties explode off my crotch.


You know, you can always legally change your name...


But it had no academic relevance. Duh. :roll:


There's an easy fix for that: http://www.fast-degrees-online.com

lmfao
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby lmfao » Tue May 17, 2011 5:55 pm

aliarrow wrote:
lmfao wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lmfao wrote:I said that PhDs are primarily responsible for most discoveries; hence, you cannot really call them irrelevant. (I guess you can... if you are an ignorant prick)


Find the flaw in this argument.


--ImageRemoved--


--ImageRemoved--


Image

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 17, 2011 5:57 pm

notanumber wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
notanumber wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:I think PhD's should be able to give themselves a title/new name of their choosing.

For instance, I would so a Comp. Sci. PhD and call myself:

Resoluteness of the Pear. And everytime somebody wanted to address me, they would have to call me, "Resoluteness of the Pear."

How are you doing today?

Quite fine. How about you, Resoluteness of the Pear?

Oh, I'm doing fine madam.

Oh Resoluteness of the Pear, lets go back to my place and bang. Your awesome title makes my panties explode off my crotch.


You know, you can always legally change your name...


But it had no academic relevance. Duh. :roll:


There's an easy fix for that: http://www.fast-degrees-online.com


But your title would still be Mr., not Resoluteness of the Pear *thunderclap*

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby AreJay711 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:58 pm

notanumber wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
notanumber wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:I think PhD's should be able to give themselves a title/new name of their choosing.

For instance, I would so a Comp. Sci. PhD and call myself:

Resoluteness of the Pear. And everytime somebody wanted to address me, they would have to call me, "Resoluteness of the Pear."

How are you doing today?

Quite fine. How about you, Resoluteness of the Pear?

Oh, I'm doing fine madam.

Oh Resoluteness of the Pear, lets go back to my place and bang. Your awesome title makes my panties explode off my crotch.


You know, you can always legally change your name...


But it had no academic relevance. Duh. :roll:


There's an easy fix for that: http://www.fast-degrees-online.com

I am now Dr. AreJay please and thank you.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:00 pm

lmfao wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lmfao wrote:I said that PhDs are primarily responsible for most discoveries; hence, you cannot really call them irrelevant. (I guess you can... if you are an ignorant prick)


Find the flaw in this argument.


--ImageRemoved--

Wait, i'm mad because you made a logically flawed argument?

lmfao
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby lmfao » Tue May 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
lmfao wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lmfao wrote:I said that PhDs are primarily responsible for most discoveries; hence, you cannot really call them irrelevant. (I guess you can... if you are an ignorant prick)


Find the flaw in this argument.


--ImageRemoved--

Wait, i'm mad because you made a logically flawed argument?


You are confused sir. That Devry degree was a waste of time and money.

Image
Last edited by lmfao on Tue May 17, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 17, 2011 6:08 pm

lmfao wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lmfao wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Find the flaw in this argument.


--ImageRemoved--

Wait, i'm mad because you made a logically flawed argument?


You are confused sir. That Devry degree was a waste of time and money.

[/img]


Improper use of an Obama. You are red carded, lmfao.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby geoduck » Tue May 17, 2011 6:10 pm

After I get my JD, I'm making everyone call me Dr. Geoduck
...when I'm visiting my wife's family in Argentina.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby DeeCee » Tue May 17, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm already Master DeeCee, which I will now be called until law school begins :D

lmfao
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby lmfao » Tue May 17, 2011 6:15 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Improper use of an Obama. You are red carded, lmfao.


How was that an "improper use"? Care to elaborate? That image can probably be found in the public domain.

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby notanumber » Tue May 17, 2011 6:27 pm

--ImageRemoved--

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby notanumber » Tue May 17, 2011 6:45 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:09 pm

lmfao wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lmfao wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Find the flaw in this argument.


--ImageRemoved--

Wait, i'm mad because you made a logically flawed argument?


You are confused sir. That Devry degree was a waste of time and money.

[/img]

Things just got really confusing. You made a flawed argument, I pointed it out, you then pwned me by saying I went to devry, and I'm the one who is supposed to be mad?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby bk1 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Well this settles it. When someone yells "I need a doctor!" I'm running to find the nearest PhD to help them.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: JD as Dr.

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 17, 2011 7:19 pm

bk1 wrote:Well this settles it. When someone yells "I need a doctor!" I'm running to find the nearest PhD to help them.


Cool. I need a letter of recommendation. One from a Dr., would be awesome.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests