JD as Dr. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: JD as Dr.

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:39 pm

lmfao wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
lmfao wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote: Things just got really confusing. You made a flawed argument, I pointed it out, you then pwned me by saying I went to devry, and I'm the one who is supposed to be mad?
I don't see any significant flaws in my argument (we are not in court). You misunderstood my point and now keep nit-picking for some reason. Let me rephrase the sentence that seems to be bugging you - only pricks would call PhDs irrelevant since they (PhD holders) are responsible for most discoveries. Better wording now?

History:

1. You - "Being called a Doctor as a Phd is something pretentious academics do to feel validation for their largely irrelevant lives."
2. Me - "should I even bother reminding you that PhDs are primarily responsible for most discoveries?""
3. You - "Your post implied that demanding to be called a doctor is ok because people with PhD's are responsible for a lot of discoveries."

You seem to have misunderstood my point, which is evident in #3 (I implied that it is wrong to call PhDs irrelevant, I never implied that they should be called Doctors since they made a lot of discoveries). Do you see it now, Esquire? Sir? Doctor of Law?
Ok, let me see if you understand the flaw (btw, this is pretty basic)

"PhDs are not irrelevent because a FEW people who have PhDs have been responsible for relevant discoveries"
Seriously, look long and hard at that sentence.
Hilarious. Are you seriously that ignorant and narrow-minded? You know, I was joking about the Devry before... I am actually scared now...
Please, DO NOT rephrase my sentences. You generalized all PhDs in the academia and said that they are irrelevant (which is not true). I countered it by saying that there are a lot of PhDs (most of whom are in the Academia) who are responsible for many discoveries and scientific breakthroughs (which, obviously, suggests that one should never say that all PhDs in the academia are irrelevant). Do you get it now, Esquire? now, a nuclear physicist is likely to be more "relevant" than someone with a Doctorate degree in Arts. However, they both contribute to the society in one way or another and calling either of them "irrelevant" is downright wrong. Do you get it now, Doctor of Law?

Reading comprehension & logic FAIL
Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall, I've never seen anyone so dense. The bolded is not what was said. Go back and read the fucking posts you idiot. Jesus you are stupid.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed May 18, 2011 8:44 pm

dr123 wrote:
dr123 wrote:Just because they earned the right to demand being called doctor, doesn't mean they're not a douche for doing so. Just sayin'.
I feel like Ive said this at least ten times in this thread, yet you guys keep skirting this
Lots of douchebags are out there... And don't care. In this case, they are correct douchebags. Though they aren't douches just for introducing themselves as Dr. Soandso, just if they correct you

lmfao

New

Post by lmfao » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
lmfao wrote: Anyone who has earned a PhD has all the rights in the world to be called "Doctor" (just look at the scanned pages guys ><).
Not to be a pedant, but the posted images don't address that question at all.
They kind of do - I've never met an associate professor without a PhD (in both Germany and the US). But you are right, it would've been much better if they had a page for PhDs (both in academia and in industry).
Patriot1208 wrote: Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall, I've never seen anyone so dense. The bolded is not what was said. Go back and read the fucking posts you idiot. Jesus you are stupid.
what was said ="PhDs are primarily responsible for most discoveries; hence, you cannot really call them irrelevant. (I guess you can... if you are an ignorant prick)"
bolded = "one should never say that all PhDs in the academia are irrelevant"

First, you fail to comprehend what was written (2 times), and now you are blaming me for that? I love it, we need more lawyers like you! I'll even write you a recommendation letter once you are out of high school. PM me and I'll be more than happy to oblige.
Last edited by lmfao on Wed May 18, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DR_R_

New

Post by DR_R_ » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 pm

I cannot believe some of these posts.

MD>>>>PhD>>>>JD

JDs, you are not "DOCTORS". Not even close. Med-school rejects go to grad school... grad school rejects go to law school. Deal with it.

Doctor Richard, MD, DDS.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed May 18, 2011 10:14 pm

DR_R_ wrote:I cannot believe some of these posts.

MD>>>>PhD>>>>JD

JDs, you are not "DOCTORS". Not even close. Med-school rejects go to grad school... grad school rejects go to law school. Deal with it.

Doctor Richard, MD, DDS.
I wasn't going to take you seriously, but then I noticed you posted in all bold.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Conan

New

Post by Conan » Wed May 18, 2011 10:55 pm

This topic brings back memories when I was in pharmacy school when all soon-to-be-PharmDs were debating whether to refer themselves as a "doctor".

Funny enough, one of the arguments against that was the legal profession where JDs didn't refer themselves as doctors but oh wells.

Anyway, we had to call our professors "Dr. so-and-so" when they only had PharmD, so I think students felt that they were entitled to the same title once they receive their PharmDs.

Indeed, during my clinical rotations in hospitals, many clinical pharmacists referred themselves as "doctors" not only to the hospital staff but to patients as well.

Problem with that was that the patients assumed (rightfully so) that the clinical pharmacists were medical doctors and relied on them for their medical needs when clinical pharmacists did not have any authority over their medical care (other than reviewing their med list for drug/food interactions or looking for potential dosing adjustment based on their kidney/liver function lab. Even this, unless there is a specific protoccol, only thing pharmacists can do is to page either the attending doctor or resident doctor to change the med order).

However, none of the pharmacists that I rounded with informed the patient that they weren't the type of doctors that patient expected to use the term "doctor" but they just call themselves doctors because their degree says so. That looked pretty messed up to me so I learned not to refer myself as a doctor unless I was in an academia setting where the term "doctor" doesn't mean medical doctor.

On a side note, there are only three types of people who call me doctor when I practice pharmacy (I go to law school part-time so I still practice).

1. Long time customers (Well, not "doctor" but more like "Doc")
2. People who want their control substances earlier than when it's legally due.
3. Drug reps who want me to stock their products in the pharmacy.

Outside of pharmacy, when I get a phone call asking "Is this Dr. Conan?", it's always my alma mater asking for donations.

I wonder what type of people will call me a doctor when I practice law other than Fordham asking me for donations (if law schools refer their grads as doctors at all).

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:22 pm

as to this thread: tl;dr.

all i know is this. i'm getting my phd in addition to my jd. when i was accepted, the first thing my wife said was not "congratulations." it was, "just for the record, i'm never letting anyone call you dr. (name)." the first thing my dad said was "you'll never be a doctor to me, pal." these are the two most supportive people in my life. i think that pretty much sums it up.

if you can't write scripts, you're not a doctor. don't worry, i think it will still be ok.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed May 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall, I've never seen anyone so dense. The bolded is not what was said. Go back and read the fucking posts you idiot. Jesus you are stupid.
Did his username and revival of an ancient thread not adequately give away that he's trolling you?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:43 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Did his username and revival of an ancient thread not adequately give away that he's trolling you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu May 19, 2011 1:21 am

ze2151 wrote:as to this thread: tl;dr.

all i know is this. i'm getting my phd in addition to my jd. when i was accepted, the first thing my wife said was not "congratulations." it was, "just for the record, i'm never letting anyone call you dr. (name)." the first thing my dad said was "you'll never be a doctor to me, pal." these are the two most supportive people in my life. i think that pretty much sums it up.

if you can't write scripts, you're not a doctor. don't worry, i think it will still be ok.
Your family blows.

T14FM

New

Post by T14FM » Thu May 19, 2011 4:37 am

Totally agree with this:

I don't think JD's should call themselves doctors. But why are you counting post degree work for MD and PhD and not for JD. You might as well count Big Law for JD.

Also MD's don't produce any original content either. In fact JD's probably do more because are required (at least at my school) to write an original paper, but it's a joke compared to a thesis for a PhD.

Finally, lumping all PhD's together is stupid. The only hard part about a PhD in the humanities is going six years ignoring how utterly useless your work is and piling through years of academic bureaucracy to create a work that nobody will ever read. It's not hard, nor important. You guys are just underpaid lectures for Universities.

A PhD in the sciences is considerably more difficult.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Thu May 19, 2011 4:42 am

Are there any more alts that have a take on this?

schnoodle

New

Post by schnoodle » Thu May 19, 2011 6:53 am

is t14fm speaking as one who was rejected from every humanities phd program he applied to? sure sounds like it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bendurnotes4me

New

Post by bendurnotes4me » Thu May 19, 2011 7:57 am

I like the way they do it in France - where you're called Master (maitre). "Good morning, Master Smith"

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 am

aliarrow wrote:Are there any more alts that have a take on this?

ETA: we should have an alts argue about stupid shit thread. We could all read for the lulz.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:15 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri May 20, 2011 12:47 am

ze2151 wrote:as to this thread: tl;dr.

schnoodle wrote:is t14fm speaking as one who was rejected from every humanities phd program he applied to? sure sounds like it.
Banned for being the same person. They'll be back, but only from one account in the future.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:08 am

MD>>>>PhD>>>>JD

Doctor Richard, MD, DDS.

Flame :lol:

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri May 20, 2011 1:12 am

Lawquacious wrote:

MD>>>>PhD>>>>JD

Doctor Richard, MD, DDS.
Flame :lol:
They've already been banned.

In fact it's time to put this thread out of its misery.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”