Multiple deposit question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Rstein888

New

Multiple deposit question

Post by Rstein888 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:46 am

Not expecting anything at all but is it heard of for one school to bump your scholarship unsolicited after seeing you deposit at another school? I could imagine them doing it as a way to convince you but wasn't sure if this ever happened or not

dnab bulc straeh

New

Re: Multiple deposit question

Post by dnab bulc straeh » Mon May 11, 2015 10:23 am

I don't know why exactly (the email said something about noticing I hadn't withdrawn but that I also hadn't paid my deposit) but something similar happened to me a few weeks ago.

GW gave me $35,000 a year, I deposited at a different school and about a week after GW's initial deposit deadline they sent me an email offering me $43,000 a year and an extended deadline. No clue how common this is, I'm guessing not extremely common and it's probably school-specific, but what happened to me was completely unsolicited.

FirmBiz

Bronze

Post by FirmBiz » Sun May 17, 2015 10:56 pm

dnab bulc straeh wrote:I don't know why exactly (the email said something about noticing I hadn't withdrawn but that I also hadn't paid my deposit) but something similar happened to me a few weeks ago.

GW gave me $35,000 a year, I deposited at a different school and about a week after GW's initial deposit deadline they sent me an email offering me $43,000 a year and an extended deadline. No clue how common this is, I'm guessing not extremely common and it's probably school-specific, but what happened to me was completely unsolicited.

Had a similar situation with a different school. Didn't deposit and got offered more.

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Tue May 19, 2015 4:27 pm

It almost certainly happens, but I think you would be hard pressed to get a school to admit it. There is a fair amount of debate as to whether or not doing stuff like this is "ethical". It's definitely competing hard for students, but so much so that many school opt to not participate in the "Commitment Overlap" report because they were seeing too many of their deposited students withdrawing soon after the lists coming out. Those schools are giving up receiving the information, too (you only get the list if you share your list), so they've made the decision that not knowing how many of their students have deposited at other schools is worth reducing the chances of their students getting "poached".

The list becomes available around mid-April, though, at first the list we get doesn't have the names of students who have deposited at multiple places. All we see is the total number of deposits we share in common with each school. Around now, mid-May, the report starts to contain names.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”