Legal Studies Major?????

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Clemenceau

Re: Legal Studies Major?????

Postby Clemenceau » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:59 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:The kid is gunning for LS so if he wants to inflate his gpa why are we shitting on him.

Because college freshman

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:01 pm

I would worry more about how it would look on job applications than law school applications. If I got a resume from a K-JD who was a pre-law major I would immediately roll my eyes.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Would you get over that if kid was on Law Review? Anyways I think legal studies is probably a bad life move, my uni doesn't even offer that as a major. But from what the kid has told us I think TCR is whatever gets him the best grades.. The whole point of education is that it serves as a signal of competence. Legal Studies might get some eye rolls but if kid 4.0s and goes to Columbia that more than makes up for it. I think he's smart for playing the game. But ya legal studies doesn't make sense when there's alternatives like history poli sci.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Would you get over that if kid was on Law Review? Anyways I think legal studies is probably a bad life move, my uni doesn't even offer that as a major. But from what the kid has told us I think TCR is whatever gets him the best grades.. The whole point of education is that it serves as a signal of competence. Legal Studies might get some eye rolls but if kid 4.0s and goes to Columbia that more than makes up for it. I think he's smart for playing the game. But ya legal studies doesn't make sense when there's alternatives like history poli sci.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Would you get over that if kid was on Law Review? Anyways I think legal studies is probably a bad life move, my uni doesn't even offer that as a major. But from what the kid has told us I think TCR is whatever gets him the best grades.. The whole point of education is that it serves as a signal of competence. Legal Studies might get some eye rolls but if kid 4.0s and goes to Columbia that more than makes up for it. I think he's smart for playing the game. But ya legal studies doesn't make sense when there's alternatives like history poli sci.

you are trolling. can anyone tell me how I'm wrong from an application point of view? I took a challenging concentration/didn't prioritize getting A's in ug and I kind of regret it as far as law school apps go. Since apparently all majors are fungible for admissions.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:30 pm

You seem to not realize that admissions and legal hiring are totally different things.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:

you are trolling. can anyone tell me how I'm wrong from an application point of view? I took a challenging concentration/didn't prioritize getting A's in ug and I kind of regret it as far as law school apps go. Since apparently all majors are fungible for admissions.

Because again, a 19 year-old should be thinking about more than law school right now.

Also, your thoughts never changed throughout college? What if OP goes another year or two and decides that he/she doesn't want to do law school? What if OP graduates with a 4.0 but can't get a good LSAT score? There are too many uncertainties in life for this to be a good option.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:

I agree.

bretby

Postby bretby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:42 pm

daisy33 wrote:Hi lovely people of TLS!

I'm currently a freshman at a top 20 university (if that matters for your advice giving purposes) and starting from this summer, I'll be taking classes pertaining to the major that I choose. Here is my dilemma:

>>I understand that law schools don't care about your major, they focus a lot more on GPA/LSAT
>>Thus, the consensus seems to be "major in whatever will get you the highest GPA"
>>I also understand that some people say don't major in anything in undergrad that is "prelaw" (such as legal studies) b/c adcom frowns upon that, but there seems to be more people who say it doesn't matter, just major in whatever will get you the highest possible GPA.
>>However, I chose legal studies b/c I liked my first class and think I can do well in it the next 3 years.

>>Within my frame of research of current law school students' majors/colleges done online, there are virtually NO legal studies majors. They all seem to have majored in more conventional subjects such as political science, rhetoric, classics, ethnic studies.

>>Which led me to question- is there actually some sort of inherent bias against the legal studies major by law school adcoms even though they and everyone else say major doesn't matter?

If so, then it clearly has some implications for me and my next 3 years in college. I have some other areas of interest that I can pursue, and I just wanted to gauge your opinions before signing up for classes next week. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it! :)

Don't pick your major based on what would look best on law school applications. Please don't pick your major based on expected GPA. For the love of all things good in this world, don't major in business. Pick a major that is intellectually challenging with subject matter you find fascinating. You go to a good school; liberal arts degrees are (more or less) interchangeable on the job market. The commodification of higher ed is so depressing.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:45 pm

bretby wrote:Don't pick your major based on what would look best on law school applications. Please don't pick your major based on expected GPA. For the love of all things good in this world, don't major in business. Pick a major that is intellectually challenging with subject matter you find fascinating. You go to a good school; liberal arts degrees are (more or less) interchangeable on the job market. The commodification of higher ed is so depressing.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:29 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:

Because again, a 19 year-old should be thinking about more than law school right now.

Also, your thoughts never changed throughout college? What if OP goes another year or two and decides that he/she doesn't want to do law school? What if OP graduates with a 4.0 but can't get a good LSAT score? There are too many uncertainties in life for this to be a good option.

I get your point. I just think sometimes TLS hivemind comes down hard on newbies essentially telling them their goals are invalid. I think a healthy dose of skepticism is appropriate but I mean if someone has a goal, it might be more productive to arm them with the tools to achieve it.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:31 pm

bretby wrote:
daisy33 wrote:Hi lovely people of TLS!

I'm currently a freshman at a top 20 university (if that matters for your advice giving purposes) and starting from this summer, I'll be taking classes pertaining to the major that I choose. Here is my dilemma:

>>I understand that law schools don't care about your major, they focus a lot more on GPA/LSAT
>>Thus, the consensus seems to be "major in whatever will get you the highest GPA"
>>I also understand that some people say don't major in anything in undergrad that is "prelaw" (such as legal studies) b/c adcom frowns upon that, but there seems to be more people who say it doesn't matter, just major in whatever will get you the highest possible GPA.
>>However, I chose legal studies b/c I liked my first class and think I can do well in it the next 3 years.

>>Within my frame of research of current law school students' majors/colleges done online, there are virtually NO legal studies majors. They all seem to have majored in more conventional subjects such as political science, rhetoric, classics, ethnic studies.

>>Which led me to question- is there actually some sort of inherent bias against the legal studies major by law school adcoms even though they and everyone else say major doesn't matter?

If so, then it clearly has some implications for me and my next 3 years in college. I have some other areas of interest that I can pursue, and I just wanted to gauge your opinions before signing up for classes next week. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it! :)

Don't pick your major based on what would look best on law school applications. Please don't pick your major based on expected GPA. For the love of all things good in this world, don't major in business. Pick a major that is intellectually challenging with subject matter you find fascinating. You go to a good school; liberal arts degrees are (more or less) interchangeable on the job market. The commodification of higher ed is so depressing.

A lot of people pay big money for a degree, it is not depressing that they should seek some tangible return on that investment.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Depends how you define tangible. If you mean job, just say job.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:39 pm

Yeah a job. That's the most realistic tangible ROI you can get from school.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:43 pm

This is hivemind-lite, at best.

Anyone 'dead set' on law school without a finalized GPA range and a strong LSAT score in hand should be mocked mercilessly. We get on people's cases when they're still practicing the LSAT - OP isn't even decently into undergrad yet. People have been holding back admirably.

Pre-law is objectively always wrong. You can a 3.5+ in ug (non-STEM) by just not touching yourself long enough to go to class. But a shitty major that somehow makes you more boring than law school alone will is just awful.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:50 pm

the safest bet - in terms of the risk/reward for lazy people - is to major in poli sci, only take the easy classes, and choose which side of the political aisle you are in. get straight A's, and do internships on the Hill and with powerful people in your political party. you're guaranteed a job if you do this (in case you decide law school isn't for you). sounds like an exaggeration but it's not. if you want to play w/ fire do econ. but prob not worth the risk for lazy ppl. in general, definitely don't do STEM, or philosophy/psychology. the former is too hard and sure if u get a 4.0 with either of the latter two you can waltz into law school but u might not want law school in 3 years, which means your SOL w/ a major that can't get u a job without serious luck or more school.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Agreed. But do you also think it's wrong for someone who "wants" to go to law school to choose a major partly based on outcome gpa's? If everyone in legal studies at OP's school gets 4.0s it might be lame, but would you call him wrong for trying to game a gameable system? GPA is such a big part of applications that >3.8 has a good shot at Berk with what? a 164?

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Agreed. But do you also think it's wrong for someone who "wants" to go to law school to choose a major partly based on outcome gpa's? If everyone in legal studies at OP's school gets 4.0s it might be lame, but would you call him wrong for trying to game a gameable system? GPA is such a big part of applications that >3.8 has a good shot at Berk with what? a 164?

The quotes you used here explain why OP shouldn't pick a major based on law school admissions criteria

You're literally providing the counterargument to your own point

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:00 pm

K-JD gunner + law review just makes it worse IMO

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:03 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Agreed. But do you also think it's wrong for someone who "wants" to go to law school to choose a major partly based on outcome gpa's? If everyone in legal studies at OP's school gets 4.0s it might be lame, but would you call him wrong for trying to game a gameable system? GPA is such a big part of applications that >3.8 has a good shot at Berk with what? a 164?

nah it's not wrong, it's actually right. but you have to allow for unforeseen circumstances. such as a bad LSAT score as a previous poster mentioned, or your discovering in 3 years that u love dinosaur fossils and, as a result of your legal studies major, can't get into the t-rex game.

daisy33

Postby daisy33 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:00 pm

zacharus85 wrote:This is hivemind-lite, at best.

Anyone 'dead set' on law school without a finalized GPA range and a strong LSAT score in hand should be mocked mercilessly. We get on people's cases when they're still practicing the LSAT - OP isn't even decently into undergrad yet. People have been holding back admirably.

Pre-law is objectively always wrong. You can a 3.5+ in ug (non-STEM) by just not touching yourself long enough to go to class. But a shitty major that somehow makes you more boring than law school alone will is just awful.

Firstly, zacharus85, you are bordering ridiculously close to major jerk status right now. How dare you say someone's goals and mindset deserves "merciless mocking"? Why is knowing what you want and gunning towards it looked down upon in society? I would rather be determined and work for goals from the outset than prance around in undergraduate trying out different majors and not knowing where my life is going. If the latter is what you believe merits praise, then so be it but don't go around mocking people for thinking differently than yourself.

Perhaps people have been "holding back admirably" because they are far more decent human beings than yourself.
Please get out of my thread and don't post again. I don't want opinions from people who aren't mature enough to convey their thoughts in a respectful manner.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Dammit, I was trying to defend your line of reasoning. But you just blew it. Congratulations you proved every criticism that the hivemind holds towards 0Ls.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:10 pm

daisy33 wrote:Firstly, zacharus85, you are bordering ridiculously close to major jerk status right now. How dare you say someone's goals and mindset deserves "merciless mocking"? Why is knowing what you want and gunning towards it looked down upon in society? I would rather be determined and work for goals from the outset than prance around in undergraduate trying out different majors and not knowing where my life is going. If the latter is what you believe merits praise, then so be it but don't go around mocking people for thinking differently than yourself.

Perhaps people have been "holding back admirably" because they are far more decent human beings than yourself.
Please get out of my thread and don't post again. I don't want opinions from people who aren't mature enough to convey their thoughts in a respectful manner.

lolol. Your general plan is borderline, for want of a better word, retarded. We are collectively holding back because we want you to listen to us, and because we were once nineteen year old morons, too. Don't major in legal studies, and stop thinking about law school for the time being.

daisy33

Postby daisy33 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
daisy33 wrote:Firstly, zacharus85, you are bordering ridiculously close to major jerk status right now. How dare you say someone's goals and mindset deserves "merciless mocking"? Why is knowing what you want and gunning towards it looked down upon in society? I would rather be determined and work for goals from the outset than prance around in undergraduate trying out different majors and not knowing where my life is going. If the latter is what you believe merits praise, then so be it but don't go around mocking people for thinking differently than yourself.

lolol. Your general plan is borderline, for want of a better word, retarded. We are collectively holding back because we want you to listen to us, and because we were once nineteen year old morons, too. Don't major in legal studies, and stop thinking about law school for the time being.

Get out.

Return to “Law School FAQ”