Will law schools fund a 0L to go to a conference?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Drowninmyowntears

Will law schools fund a 0L to go to a conference?

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:26 am

there's a law conference over the summer that I really want to go to but can't afford. Do you lost schools ever fund their students to go to conferences? And if so would my perspective school fund me to go over the summer if I've already submitted an SIR? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rinkrat19

Re: Will law schools fund a 0L to go to a conference?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:18 pm

I cannot imagine any reason they would. What would they get out of it? (Nothing.)

Also, what do you think you would get out of it? It's not like you can use CLE credits, and you probably wouldn't understand half of what's going on. Plus I imagine you'd look really weird and try-hard to the lawyers attending.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Plus even if your future school did give funding for this sort of stuff, you won't be a student yet over the summer

swampman

Postby swampman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:24 pm

What? No. That money would be coming from tuition dollars, and you are not paying tuition. Even if you were, most schools wouldn't cover it.
Also don't go to a legal conference as an 0L.

umichman

Postby umichman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:29 pm

no

SmokeyBar

Postby SmokeyBar » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Last edited by SmokeyBar on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:16 pm

But that doesn't have anything to do with the OP's question.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:19 pm

On a slightly more helpful note - while the 0L conference thing is just silly, one perk at least some schools provide is access to their CLE programs and symposia. So various conferences and whatnot that really excite you and ordinarily cost $1K or more, you get for free.

Although I echo what someone said upthread - that going to legal conferences as a student or 0L is kind of weird. I learned recent case law on a couple things but really it seems like a networking opportunity for established lawyers.

SmokeyBar

Postby SmokeyBar » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:31 pm

Last edited by SmokeyBar on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:45 pm

SmokeyBar wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But that doesn't have anything to do with the OP's question.

It does, although indirectly. If OP can't get funding from the law school, OP could try to get a discount from the organizers of the conference. If it's the ABA though, good luck!

You could have stated that directly rather than seizing the chance to rant about the ABA.

SmokeyBar

Postby SmokeyBar » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
SmokeyBar wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But that doesn't have anything to do with the OP's question.

It does, although indirectly. If OP can't get funding from the law school, OP could try to get a discount from the organizers of the conference. If it's the ABA though, good luck!

You could have stated that directly rather than seizing the chance to rant about the ABA.

edited

Drowninmyowntears

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:09 pm

Just to be clear, this is a conference for lawyers, law students, and activists. I want to go because I'm genuinely interested in learning about the topic, not because I'm a "try-hard" looking to act like a lawyer when I'm not yet. As I will be a law student in only a few months, it doesn't seem like a stretch for me to want to go.

Also, I don't think it's that ridiculous that a law school might fund students to go to conferences. A lot of grad schools fund their students to go to conferences so the idea that law schools might do so is not that outlandish. Is it kind of crazy that they would fund a 0L? Of course! But I want to go and I don't have the money so i thought I would ask.

Ya'll play nice! Damn, people are ruuuuude on this thread. Lol.

Return to “Law School FAQ”