Asking Admissions... Why?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BM_1993

Asking Admissions... Why?

Postby BM_1993 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:02 pm

So I've had a rough cycle. Waiting it out on a couple of waitlists. Likely going to be retaking and applying again next year.

Was rejected from my top choices. Does it look desperate to e-mail admissions asking for what can be improved on my application for next year? I just want to show initiative so that they know I care. Has been does before? Is there a format? Is it too early?
Last edited by BM_1993 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemenceau

Re: Asking Admissions... Why?

Postby Clemenceau » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 pm

BM_1993 wrote:So I've had a rough cycle. Waiting it out on a couple of waitlists. Likely going to be retaking and applying again next year.

Was rejected from my top choices. Does it look desperate to e-mail admissions asking for what can be improved on my application for next year? I just want to show initiative sot hat they know I care. Has been does before? Is there a format? Is it too early?

Don't do this.

BM_1993

Postby BM_1993 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 pm

Is there a reason for why not?

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:12 pm

BM_1993 wrote:Is there a reason for why not?

Why not just get better stats?

sesto elemento

Postby sesto elemento » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:13 pm

If you are going to retake, then you already know what you need to do to improve your chances.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:24 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:58 pm

BM_1993 wrote:WL: Emory, UC Davis, Boston College
LOCI submitted for all
Pending: BU, Fordham, and Cornell

BM_1993 wrote:I'm from Texas. Family is in Texas. I went out of state for UG. LSAT is 159. [GPA 3.3]

That's why, buddy.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:30 am

Literally all they care about is numbers. Now you know what to improve

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:12 am

Clearly this applicant needs to retake to get the numbers, but I actually disagree with the firm rule not to do this. I did it, esp with t14s that I wasn't super sold on. I waited till after the cycle because they're obv busy with people they haven't already denied. I humbly expressed that I wasn't accepting another offer, was going to reapply and was still interested in that school. I had several reread my applications out of the goodness of their hearts, and when app season came we had already connected back and forth enough that I was clearly a high yield applicant with a proven interest and a good attitude. I didn't end up at those schools anyway, but I'm very confident that I built positive relationships with a few adcomms this way. That said, I could EASILY see how a striver could make this offputting. In my case I would say it was just an opportunity to start a dialogue, rather than gain substantive information from them, and I knew damn well why I got dinged anyway.

But yeah, whoever denied you did you a favor, now you can retake and go to better schools.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:43 am

Clearly wrote:I was clearly a high yield applicant

:)

Point taken though. OP- if you have the self-awareness to know how you would come off then this might make sense.

Do make sure you improve your numbers though because that's your real ticket in.

BM_1993

Postby BM_1993 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:05 am

K thanks

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Tue May 05, 2015 1:02 pm

It totally wouldn't hurt (unless you do it in some weird, Sheldon Cooper kind of way). Most will probably tell you no, but a few might give you the time later in the summer when things slow down. I make the offer to do this for every denied student right in our deny letter. I probably have barely 3-5 people actually take me up on the offer in any given year.

When I do it I put on my "counselor" hat and take off my "recruiter" hat. There can be a whole list of reasons why you underperformed. Some of the things I ask denied applicants (if I speak to them rather than just sending an email summary):

*You didn't "under perform", you "over applied".
*Your writing could be really bad. This is probably one of the biggest reasons we don't admit people with otherwise "good enough" scores. Few of you guys really learn how to write in college, but don't realize it.
*Your PS isn't good.
*Your resume isn't good.
*Character & Fitness issue(s)

It's not like every single person below median at a school is a splitter. But those people who get into schools with below-median LSATs AND GPAs are rare, and it's in these cases where all that other stuff people say doesn't matter really matters.

A lot of applicants have a much higher opinion of their applications that they should so I sometimes have to be pretty harsh and blunt about the weaknesses, e.g. thinking that a 3.2 GPA is "good".

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

BM_1993

Postby BM_1993 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks Dean Perez and everyone else who contributed. Though I understand that my numbers are low and do know the reason for why I probably didn't get into my top choices, the goal in approaching admissions and asking what is lacking is to show interest. I want to show that I am making an initiative.

You all are probably right in that I need to retake and reapply. Still hanging on by a thread for my waitlists and if somehow I get into these schools, I will end up going. If not, I will retake and keep you all updated.

Thanks for the input.

stego

Postby stego » Sun May 17, 2015 2:35 am

SPerez wrote: *You didn't "under perform", you "over applied".

What does that mean? Do you just mean they applied at a school that was a reach for them, or do you mean they applied to too many schools? Do law schools actually care what you put on the application when it asks what other schools you applied to?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun May 17, 2015 4:08 pm

stasg wrote:

What does that mean? Do you just mean they applied at a school that was a reach for them, or do you mean they applied to too many schools? Do law schools actually care what you put on the application when it asks what other schools you applied to?

It means your numbers aren't good, retake.

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Tue May 19, 2015 12:51 pm

stasg wrote:

Mostly the first thing, less so the second. If you're a 150/3.5 and ONLY apply T14, I would call that "over applying". Of course you should have a stretch or two in the mix, but ONLY applying to stretches can result in not getting in anywhere as you might guess. I think there are more than a few applicants right now that, thanks to a combination of inflated self-confidence and the hyperbolic language about how law schools are desperate right now (many are, others aren't so much), severely over estimate the strength of their application.

I can't say how much other law schools care about what other schools people apply to. I ask mostly because I'm nosey and find it interesting. Sometimes it can be helpful to answer the "Why TX/Texas Tech?" question for out-of-state applicants, e.g. if they're applying to other Texas schools. If I see a Texan applicant with just a few Texas schools, then a dozen D.C./NYC/LA/San Fran type schools, then I think that does tell me something about their mindset (i.e. I want OUT of Texas, even if it costs me a ton of money.) I don't read too much into what people put in their apps, though, because I have no way of knowing if the applicant really does apply to those schools, cherry picks by only listing the schools they think will make us "jealous" and want them more, or only lists the schools they've already submitted apps to and leaves out the 15 they are going to apply to.

bretby

Postby bretby » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:33 am

KaziMasum wrote:Hi,

It's really sad. But I will say you please not to loss your sprite. Having the determination of retake you already proved. I will tell you to go ahead.

Here is a link from where you can have editor.editing service

Well, I for one am convinced that he is offering some truly top-notch editing services!

bretby

Postby bretby » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:35 am

KaziMasum wrote:Hi,

It's really sad. But I will say you please not to loss your sprite. Having the determination of retake you already proved. I will tell you to go ahead.

Here is a link from where you can have editor.editing service

Well, I for one am convinced that he is offering some truly top-notch editing services!

Return to “Law School FAQ”