Asking for a deadline extension

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
moejoe193

Asking for a deadline extension

Postby moejoe193 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:24 pm

Hey TLS. Right now, I have an offer for a full-ride from WUSTL. However, their deadline for accepting the offer is April 1st. Right now, both my gf and I (planning on living together during grad school) are still waiting to hear back from all our choices before we make a decision. I would like to ask for an extension, but wanted to hear from anyone who's had experience in asking for them.

1. How likely are they to give the extension, and is there any chance they could rescind the offer if I ask for an extension?

2. How's the best way to phrase asking for the extension? Is it better to upfront and say I want to hear from all my choices before weighing my options, or is there a better way to put it?

Thanks for any input!

Auxilio

Re: Asking for a deadline extension

Postby Auxilio » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:46 pm

I believe most schools are pretty willing to give an extension if they think you have a legitimate reason. Your truthful one may be enough, one that I often seen thrown around is saying you want to visit a school before you commit, but cannot get time off until x.

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:46 pm

Can someone toss out some more potentially legitimate reasons? I've already visited the school in question so I can't use that as an excuse.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:56 pm

commandercup wrote:Can someone toss out some more potentially legitimate reasons? I've already visited the school in question so I can't use that as an excuse.

I do not know if these have every been successful before, but off the top of my head I can think of: want to visit other schools before making decision, need to see how big a loan you can get approved for first, SO is also applying to schools and want to see where they are accepted to, honestly saying you are still awaiting a financial aid packet from a competing school.

Return to “Law School FAQ”