ATL author says that law students should unionize- For real?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

banjo

Re: ATL author says that law students should unionize- For real?

Postby banjo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:58 am

But setting up BATNAs can be tricky. For example, what if those who agreed to drop out decide to back out or were bluffing? What if transfer and non-legal job offers are revoked? Similarly, what if a group tuition reduction agreement has been reached but some members of the group decide to transfer or drop out anyway? How will any of these scenarios affect the bargaining power of the group? Because this BATNA relies on assuming future events, it can fall apart if the assumptions turn out to be false.

On top of that, law students are not employees and are therefore not protected by the NLRA. The school has no statutory obligation to come to the bargaining table.

It's much easier to opt out of law school ex ante than it is to form a law student union in spring of 1L year.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:14 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 am

EVERYONE GETS A'S
union!
boom

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 am

3 WEEK SPRING BREAK BITCH

r1tlv50

Postby r1tlv50 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:05 pm

I think most people who frequent TLS would know that from a financial standpoint alone dropping out is the best option if OCI doesn't pan out.

Getting another 299 students to agree with you, though....

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:08 pm

This sounds like someone who knows that other grad students at some schools are unionized and has completely overlooked the fact that those grad students are employed by their schools.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:This sounds like someone who knows that other grad students at some schools are unionized and has completely overlooked the fact that those grad students are employed by their schools.

it just sounds like an ATL article to me, knowing that absurdity= clicks. The whole "law is a nice career" blog doesn't really get as many retweets for some reason

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:53 pm

I know I'm sure convinced.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:53 pm

With that said, I do agree that law students could make better pledges to one another to help each other out. Number one would be to refuse unpaid or even underpaid private internships. It's really a bullsht problem. I saw on Bloomberg law the other day an article written by a miami lawyer encouraging law students to take these things. These jobs pop up all the time on our Facebook group and sometimes even symplicity. It's unethical, illegal, and devaluing

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Now, if law firm associates could unionize...

Return to “Law School FAQ”