Highly Considering Law after Graduation

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Shuey

Highly Considering Law after Graduation

Postby Shuey » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi,

First of all, feels great to be a part of this forum. Recently I've gotten very interested in studying law and possibly pursuing it as a career. What got me interested are a lot of the cases I read about and possibly changing the outcomes of these decisions. I'm currently pursuing a Bachelors in Business Administration at Parsons/The New School in Design and Management in my second year but recently started considering law as a graduate program.

The problem I'm having is I started picking up books to study for the LSAT and started reading into a few interesting cases, etc but I want to get more involved in knowing and learning about law and the problem is i'm super confused on where to start so I can hopefully grow my interests in the subject.

It could be american law/constitutional or like something historical of the sort like Hammurabi's Code. Just a good place to start learning about law/law theory/law practice/life of a lawyer/etc? Maybe a documentary? Hopefully the members on this forum can recommend me a book. It could be like a biography on the most famous of lawyers, any of the topics I've mentioned above, or perhaps a book on some of the most difficult cases, etc.

Also wasn't sure if this is the right forum for this. Moderators feel free to move it if not.
Thanks!

Shu

LawsRUs

Re: Highly Considering Law after Graduation

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:32 pm

A Civil Action.

But please do find a legal internship. Also, wrong forum.

I highly recommend going for an MBA over JD with your undergrad degree.
You might want to check out the Vale of Tears and student loan payments threads.

mods-move or lock?

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:36 pm

A good first step might be to take a hard look at the kind of work lawyer's produce. I would start by looking at the briefs from the Solicitor General's Office. They are among the best brief writers out there. If you read some of their briefs, and think to yourself that you really want to do what they do, then you might want to be a litigator (though you might still hate other parts of the job, like handling discovery, taking depositions, doing legal or factual research, etc.). If you think that producing that type of work product would be terrible, then you definitely don't want to be a litigator.

http://www.justice.gov/osg/supreme-court-briefs

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Shuey

Postby Shuey » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Nomo wrote:A good first step might be to take a hard look at the kind of work lawyer's produce. I would start by looking at the briefs from the Solicitor General's Office. They are among the best brief writers out there. If you read some of their briefs, and think to yourself that you really want to do what they do, then you might want to be a litigator (though you might still hate other parts of the job, like handling discovery, taking depositions, doing legal or factual research, etc.). If you think that producing that type of work product would be terrible, then you definitely don't want to be a litigator.

http://www.justice.gov/osg/supreme-court-briefs

Thanks! Will check some of these out! I did highly consider MBA and am currently looking into MBA programs/etc but Law is my other option that I'm more interested in. Either ways it's going to be between one or the other and at this point law just seems more interesting.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:17 am

The practice of law doesn't really involve much theoretical work. A lot of it is just tinkering with some slivers of laws or regulations as applied to facts. Lots of drafting, reviewing, and revising documents.

A good book to read is In the Shadow of the Law by Prof. Kermit Roosevelt III. It is fictional but does a good job of describing the grind of daily life for a junior lawyer in a large firm.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:33 am

Aeon wrote:The practice of law doesn't really involve much theoretical work. A lot of it is just tinkering with some slivers of laws or regulations as applied to facts. Lots of drafting, reviewing, and revising documents.

A good book to read is In the Shadow of the Law by Prof. Kermit Roosevelt III. It is fictional but does a good job of describing the grind of daily life for a junior lawyer in a large firm.

Haha I'm reading it now

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:21 am

law school sucks. Being a lawyer sucks because the jobs suck and the pay sucks if you don't get a six figure job. It really is a shitty degree.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:26 am

sparty99 wrote:law school sucks. Being a lawyer sucks because the jobs suck and the pay sucks if you don't get a six figure job. It really is a shitty degree.

this is accurate. you should reconsider law after graduation.

Return to “Law School FAQ”