Is Emory Law a good choice? ($$$$)

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Saddle Up

Re: Is Emory Law a good choice? ($$$$)

Postby Saddle Up » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Given the OP’s stats I am surprised that s/he received a significant break in tuition. Maybe this year’s LS apps are lower than suggested in the stories I’ve read. IMO, pick up the ball and GO!

My sister is an Emory grad and now a JA at an Atlanta firm. She had her choice of 3 very nicely paying firms during her OCI days. She too could have gone to a LS ranked in the top half of the T14 but instead chose a near free ride (like myself) she resided at home, 15 minutes from the school.

BTW: If you live in the south and think Atlanta, cheap COL doesn’t come to mind (granted our COL is not on par with Manhattan or Bev Hills). If you receive the same offer from Duke or UVA, you might consider them, only because of the COL.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Saddle Up wrote:Given the OP’s stats I am surprised that s/he received a significant break in tuition. Maybe this year’s LS apps are lower than suggested in the stories I’ve read. IMO, pick up the ball and GO!

My sister is an Emory grad and now a JA at an Atlanta firm. She had her choice of 3 very nicely paying firms during her OCI days. She too could have gone to a LS ranked in the top half of the T14 but instead chose a near free ride (like myself) she resided at home, 15 minutes from the school.

BTW: If you live in the south and think Atlanta, cheap COL doesn’t come to mind (granted our COL is not on par with Manhattan or Bev Hills). If you receive the same offer from Duke or UVA, you might consider them, only because of the COL.

At equivalent cost the OP should consider Duke or UVA only because of the cost of living difference?

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:I honestly can't tell if this is a serious post. I mean, it has to be a joke, but you feel the need to try to justify attending your regional school in every thread on TLS.

OP wouldn't be making any worse of a choice attending Emory than you did choosing Texas, so you should probably stop criticizing him.

Whatever school a poster chose to attend doesn't have anything to do with the quality of their advice.

It's relevant when that poster starts getting aggressive and also helps to underscore where they are coming from in their advice. If someone says "Dont go to TTT northwestern," it's relevant to know if they go to Yale, Thomas Jefferson, or Northwestern.

The fact that BigZuck goes to Texas is relevant because it's confusing as to why he is so anti-Emory. This ties thing is a bit weird, as is his definition of a "regional school." Normally, I'd think someone saying going to Texas, which has similar numbers as Emory, saying "don't go" would be meaningful if that person had some reason to think that Texas was also not a good choice. But it seems like BigZuck refuses to look at numbers or something, because Emory's FTLT 2013 # is 6% better than Texas (84/78) and it also legit put a higher number of people into New York despite having 50 less grads (33 to NY vs. 21).

tldr, and I think as I already posted: it seems like BigZuck is familiar with Texas numbers, and just assumes that Emory's numbers are similar & a shade worse. understanding this helps to understand why he is giving terrible advice.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:40 pm

I personally think Emory is one of the worst rip offs of all the top 30 law schools. That being said it's not for the OP because of that scholarship. Going there with that debt load isn't a bad idea if you're cool with working in the SE.

Also, this whole "just retake the LSAT and raise 5 points" thing is something that gets pushed far too hard on here. Yes people can improve their LSAT scores but for the most part people who take the exam seriously (which OP probably did) get as high as they're going to. Unless he/she didn't study seriously the likelihood of him jumping up by the score that people are suggesting (especially where he is on the range of scores) isn't great. Certainly not enough to really make waiting an additional year and going through the whole process again worth it.

P.S. I'm not so sure about Charlottesville being cheaper than Atlanta. They're probably about the same depending on location in each locale.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:42 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:I honestly can't tell if this is a serious post. I mean, it has to be a joke, but you feel the need to try to justify attending your regional school in every thread on TLS.

OP wouldn't be making any worse of a choice attending Emory than you did choosing Texas, so you should probably stop criticizing him.

Whatever school a poster chose to attend doesn't have anything to do with the quality of their advice.

It's relevant when that poster starts getting aggressive and also helps to underscore where they are coming from in their advice. If someone says "Dont go to TTT northwestern," it's relevant to know if they go to Yale, Thomas Jefferson, or Northwestern.

The fact that BigZuck goes to Texas is relevant because it's confusing as to why he is so anti-Emory. This ties thing is a bit weird, as is his definition of a "regional school." Normally, I'd think someone saying going to Texas, which has similar numbers as Emory, saying "don't go" would be meaningful if that person had some reason to think that Texas was also not a good choice. But it seems like BigZuck refuses to look at numbers or something, because Emory's FTLT 2013 # is 6% better than Texas (84/78) and it also legit put a higher number of people into New York despite having 50 less grads (33 to NY vs. 21).

tldr, and I think as I already posted: it seems like BigZuck is familiar with Texas numbers, and just assumes that Emory's numbers are similar & a shade worse. understanding this helps to understand why he is giving terrible advice.

Everyone providing outside advice though fails to consider the posters desperation for going though. This is the biggest information gap on this forum. Nobody on here would advise someone to go to a TTT other than probably me. But that's because they fail to understand of the desperation where maybe a 20% chance at a good outcome is still better than their current dead end life. I don't really know what OP is doing now or how desperate they are to go to law school right now and roll the dice, but this is a relevant factor. The most relevant factor imo. Maybe Zuck was more desperate to go to law school when he did. Maybe he's learned stuff since he made that decision. Maybe OP has great other alternatives.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:50 pm

For the most recent year, Emory big law/clerkships is 25%. UT is 43%.
Non-gamed long term full time legal employment 9 months out is roughly 60% to 75%.

Also, UT has nothing to do with any of this, I wouldn't suggest the OP attend UT either. I constantly tell people that UT probably isn't a good choice for them. Like, all the time.

I'm not anti-Emory so much as anti-going to random regional schools when you don't have ties to the market it places in, you don't have a strong desire to work in that market, and you can do so much better if you just take some stupid standardized test.

Please Lax, stop trolling if you're not going to be funny. This is why it almost never works when you start posting in the on topics. The "if you get bad grades in law school you'll obviously be a bad lawyer" line was funny. Do more of that.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:46 pm

UT is demonstrably better than Emory. Wtf? Doubly so when the hypothetical UT student is from Texas and the hypothetical Emory student has no GA connect. How is this even being debated?

OP, there are definitely safer paths than a primarily-regional school you have few regional ties to... but a small debt load is nice. I wouldn't personally go to Emory, but there are worse choices and it's your life.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 pm

I have to echo the support for UT over Emory. There really is no comparison, despite the fact that Emory is only ranked a few spots lower.

Emory is a good school. It has a good reputation, particularly in the south, and it will open doors for your if you do well. However, there is no denying that Emory's employment numbers are not as strong as its ranking suggests. It's important to be aware of that going in. Its Biglaw numbers are lower than schools like BU, BC, and ND, and though it does do fairly well in clerkships, I'm not so sure you should be making a decision about law school based on that factor alone.

Overall, going to Emory for free seems like a pretty good deal, as long as expectations are kept relatively low.

fescriptonchild

Postby fescriptonchild » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:35 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Emory law has a 100% employment rate and is a top 20 school in a warm and cheap city. You have a massive scholarship and have some more income so you can graduate nearly debt free. Why you would take a year off doing something you don't want to do so you can potentially raise your score to go to a school where you will pay more money to have a slightly better chance of getting a job at a firm where no one is happy if it turns out that you're terrible at law school/law is beyond me. Why assholes in this thread think that their life decisions are so ironclad as to call dissenters "trolls" is even more inconceivable. "Take a year off" of your life in general to do something you don't like is obnoxious striver advice and they should feel ashamed.

+1
(though, to be perfectly candid, Emory's employment rate right out of law school is 67.8% [according to USNews]; while Emory's employment rate 9 months after [and after the bar exam] is ~98% [according to Emory's 2014 employment report]... still pretty promising with reference to other T20 schools)

Another thing PO should keep in mind: As long as you work hard to score within the top 15% of your class, you will also have a great chance to transfer to a T14 school if you're not satisfied post-matriculation. Second and obviously following Georgia, Emory alum are most present in New York [according to Emory's brochure 800 of which are presently working in firms, and 300+ employed who were most recently reported in the 2014 employment report].

At the end of the day, consider the stats, visit the campus, match everything with your own prospects and make your decision. Congrats on getting accepted and earning the highest non-Woodruf scholarship reported on TLS so far!!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:43 pm

fescriptonchild wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:Emory law has a 100% employment rate and is a top 20 school in a warm and cheap city. You have a massive scholarship and have some more income so you can graduate nearly debt free. Why you would take a year off doing something you don't want to do so you can potentially raise your score to go to a school where you will pay more money to have a slightly better chance of getting a job at a firm where no one is happy if it turns out that you're terrible at law school/law is beyond me. Why assholes in this thread think that their life decisions are so ironclad as to call dissenters "trolls" is even more inconceivable. "Take a year off" of your life in general to do something you don't like is obnoxious striver advice and they should feel ashamed.

+1
(though, to be perfectly candid, Emory's employment rate right out of law school is 67.8% [according to USNews]; while Emory's employment rate 9 months after [and after the bar exam] is ~98% [according to Emory's 2014 employment report]... still pretty promising with reference to other T20 schools)

Another thing PO should keep in mind: As long as you work hard to score within the top 15% of your class, you will also have a great chance to transfer to a T14 school if you're not satisfied post-matriculation. Second and obviously following Georgia, Emory alum are most present in New York [according to Emory's brochure 800 of which are presently working in firms, and 300+ employed who were most recently reported in the 2014 employment report].

At the end of the day, consider the stats, visit the campus, match everything with your own prospects and make your decision. Congrats on getting accepted and earning the highest non-Woodruf scholarship reported on TLS so far!!

You're misrepresenting the employment outcomes at Emory. Also, people can't just bootstraps their way to top 15% at a school like Emory.

Just stop.

Return to “Law School FAQ”