Is Emory Law a good choice? ($$$$) Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LSATobsessed

New

Re: Is Emory Law a good choice? ($$$$)

Post by LSATobsessed » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:15 am

cannibal ox wrote:LSATobsessed: "I had a 158 . . . coming in and I'm doing better than most people here."

The irony is delicious.
lmao

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:26 am

cannibal ox wrote:LSATobsessed: "I had a 158 . . . coming in and I'm doing better than most people here."

The irony is delicious.
lol I was gonna say something too

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:30 am

If you want to be employed by the school it's great

Ris19

New

Post by Ris19 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:37 am

Not to derail the conversation but I have a question on a related note. Is vanderbilt as regional of a school as emory? Both are T20 southern schools, yet I haven't heard as much about Vandy being limited in its placement.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:46 am

Emory sends 15-20% to nyc/cali... Evidently that's limited in placement?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ris19

New

Post by Ris19 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:49 am

lacrossebrother wrote:Emory sends 15-20% to nyc/cali... Evidently that's limited in placement?
Sorry, I didn't mean limited as inherently negative, just that the general tone of the thread is that Emory is strongly regional.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Ris19 wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:Emory sends 15-20% to nyc/cali... Evidently that's limited in placement?
Sorry, I didn't mean limited as inherently negative, just that the general tone of the thread is that Emory is strongly regional.
It is strongly regional. It's not in the same league as Vandy. Emory grads don't have an advantage over state flagships for those state markets. Sure, some NYC firms will come to Emory OCI and there won't be NYC firms at Alabama's. Doesn't mean Emory isn't strongly regional. Just means top of the class can land NYC.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:38 pm

Vandy clearly has stronger placement power and disperses its graduates more broadly than Emory. But if national mobility is an important consideration for you, I still would not suggest Vandy.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Ris19 wrote:
lacrossebrother is a troll account running a schtick which can occasionally be really funny but is kind of a fish out of water in the on topic portions of this website. For example, he's a hipster you see, but he also happens to be athletic. He also likes to rail against the most useful resources available to people trying to decide on a law school, such as the website Law School Transparency. Feel free to laugh with him or at him but don't take anything he says seriously.

But do make sure you vote for him as "most helpful poster" when this year's TLS superlatives are voted on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:51 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Ris19 wrote:
lacrossebrother is a troll account running a schtick which can occasionally be really funny but is kind of a fish out of water in the on topic portions of this website. For example, he's a hipster you see, but he also happens to be athletic. He also likes to rail against the most useful resources available to people trying to decide on a law school, such as the website Law School Transparency. Feel free to laugh with him or at him but don't take anything he says seriously.

But do make sure you vote for him as "most helpful poster" when this year's TLS superlatives are voted on.
:lol:

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:10 am

Law school transparency has its figurative nuts knobbed by this website even though it literally just reprints ABA data :lol: they hardly add anything helpful so I criticize them for that.

Going to a top 20 law school and graduating as a lawyer with no debt is a tremendous outcome. You guys use the word troll to try to annihilate opposing viewpoints without actually working hard to disprove them. you've accepted the t-14 or bust even with debt inanity from this website, yet refuse to embrace the emerging story of the peril of golden handcuffs in biglaw. You guys take the former advice as gospel and regurgitate as such, calling any dissenters trolls. What you're doing is absolutely insane.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:25 am

I agree with slack here. You've reached a special place of delusion when getting a free law degree from a good law school is a bad idea like the posters in here would have you believe.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:29 am

lacrossebrother wrote:Law school transparency has its figurative nuts knobbed by this website even though it literally just reprints ABA data :lol: they hardly add anything helpful so I criticize them for that.

Going to a top 20 law school and graduating as a lawyer with no debt is a tremendous outcome. You guys use the word troll to try to annihilate opposing viewpoints without actually working hard to disprove them. you've accepted the t-14 or bust even with debt inanity from this website, yet refuse to embrace the emerging story of the peril of golden handcuffs in biglaw. You guys take the former advice as gospel and regurgitate as such, calling any dissenters trolls. What you're doing is absolutely insane.
:D

(But yeah, just in case anyone takes this seriously:
1. LST synthesizes data and makes it easily digestible and presentable and is also a driving force for more transparency
2. US News Rankings are meaningless
3. This original poster would be paying about 8-10K a year in tuition and when you include cost of living, interest, loan origination fees, etc. even a 120K+ scholarship leaves a person 100K+ in debt
4. T-14 or bust is like so 2009 and, if anything, this site is overly debt averse and supports strong regionals for cheapsies as much as possible
5. TLS as a whole is so debt averse that even at tippy top schools people say sticker is a bad idea. If you're at a debt level where you will have handcuffs (golden or not), people tend to try and steer you away from that school and to another where you won't be handcuffed
6. This guy claims to be a hipster. And yet, somehow, he also manages to be athletic. I know, right?)

Eta: I guess this person has rent paid for so maybe only about 60ishK debt?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:36 am

BigZuck wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:Law school transparency has its figurative nuts knobbed by this website even though it literally just reprints ABA data :lol: they hardly add anything helpful so I criticize them for that.

1. LST synthesizes data and makes it easily digestible and presentable and is also a driving force for more transparency
3. This original poster would be paying about 8-10K a year in tuition and when you include cost of living, interest, loan origination fees, etc. even a 120K+ scholarship leaves a person 100K+ in debt
4. T-14 or bust is like so 2009 and, if anything, this site is overly debt averse and supports strong regionals for cheapsies as much as possible
5. TLS as a whole is so debt averse that even at tippy top schools people say sticker is a bad idea. If you're at a debt level where you will have handcuffs (golden or not), people tend to try and steer you away from that school and to another where you won't be handcuffed
6. This guy claims to be a hipster. And yet, somehow, he also manages to be athletic. I know, right?)

I honestly can't tell if this is a serious post. I mean, it has to be a joke, but you feel the need to try to justify attending your regional school in every thread on TLS.

OP wouldn't be making any worse of a choice attending Emory than you did choosing Texas, so you should probably stop criticizing him.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:44 am

JohannDeMann wrote:I agree with slack here. You've reached a special place of delusion when getting a free law degree from a good law school is a bad idea like the posters in here would have you believe.
The quality of the output depends on the quality of the inputs. Here the OP has a 4.05 GPA and could get a "free law degree" from a much better school than Emory if they retook the LSAT. A 129k scholarship at Emory is not a free law degree. Not even close. Emory's placement is considerably worse than schools that the OP could get more money from with just 3 more LSAT points.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:46 am

This thread is getting schticky AF

Bears- I do think you should take some notes here. Johann and Slackbrah's schticks are pretty well developed but right now you're just kinda farting in the wind. I think you have a few options:
1. Be funny (this is Johann and Slax's approach)
2. Say stuff that actually gets under people's skin and makes them mad (Hipsterbutslacker does a good job of this at times and I'm sure there are some posters at your law school that could help you in this regard)

I hope this was a teachable moment for you

(not concern trolling, I sincerely hope your schtick sticks and gets you where you want to go)

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:47 am

Mullens wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:I agree with slack here. You've reached a special place of delusion when getting a free law degree from a good law school is a bad idea like the posters in here would have you believe.
The quality of the output depends on the quality of the inputs. Here the OP has a 4.05 GPA and could get a "free law degree" from a much better school than Emory if they retook the LSAT. A 129k scholarship at Emory is not a free law degree. Not even close. Emory's placement is considerably worse than schools that the OP could get more money from with just 3 more LSAT points.
Right.

Also, the OP has no ties to the region the school reliably places in, which is pretty crucial when it comes to regional schools

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 am

Bigzuck is just awful. I'm done with this thread. My points have been made, I agree it's not as free as I imagined...but calling it regional is stupid, and the employment outcomes are safe also.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:43 am

21% of Emory's class of 2013 ended up in the "school-funded position" category; this is with a BL (100+ lawyers) +FC placement of 25%. Roughly 50% ended up in GA, 11% ended up in NYC, and 5% in CA.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:20 am

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:22 am

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:23 am

bearsfan23 wrote:I honestly can't tell if this is a serious post. I mean, it has to be a joke, but you feel the need to try to justify attending your regional school in every thread on TLS.

OP wouldn't be making any worse of a choice attending Emory than you did choosing Texas, so you should probably stop criticizing him.
Whatever school a poster chose to attend doesn't have anything to do with the quality of their advice.

Sanehka1803

New

Post by Sanehka1803 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:53 am

BigZuck wrote:

It funny how people who offer advice on that site don't even bother to read original post. With some extra income and just 5K in tuition Emory will leave me to borrow about 20K per year. Its about 65K in three years.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:00 am

OP, I think a lot of advice would've been different if you would've simply said "Emory would cost me 65k at debt repayment."

You'd probably be wasting your GPA, but spending $65k to become a lawyer at an overall good institution is not a bad choice. You probably won't get biglaw if you're outside of the top 1/4 and without ties, but you'd most likely be able to service your debt, regardless.

Is Emory a good choice for you? I think that's relative and my answer would be "not at all." Is Emory a defensible choice? Of course.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:57 am

Hikkomorist wrote:Did BZ go into major debt, or are you suggesting that Texas and Emory are equivalent offers?
70ishK debt at a school with better placement in a market I have ties to and that I want to be in long term
vs
60ishK debt at a school with worse placement in a market the OP does not have ties to and has no reason to think they want to be in long term

That's the equivalence

But Bears is just trying to develop a schtick here so let's not go around poking holes in what he posts. We should be building him up, not tearing him down.
Sanehka1803 wrote:It funny how people who offer advice on that site don't even bother to read original post. With some extra income and just 5K in tuition Emory will leave me to borrow about 20K per year. Its about 65K in three years.
Yeah, I missed (and then caught when I wondered why everyone keep saying it was free) that you had the hypothetical rental income. That's kind of the danger of posting just scholarship numbers and adding idiosyncratic personal situations and leaving it up to other people to do the math. It's why the sticky at the top of the choosing sub forum asks posters to calculate total cost of attendance and put the number down themselves. But clearly I should have deciphered the information better. Apologies.

I don't think it makes a ton of difference. You'll still have a nice and solid debt load at a school with "only" decent placement in a market you don't have ties to. There's an easy fix here but if you're hell bent on settling, knock yourself out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”