Is Emory Law a good choice? ($$$$)

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Sanehka1803

Is Emory Law a good choice? ($$$$)

Postby Sanehka1803 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Some starts:
Lsat 165. GPA 4.05

$129K scholarship over 3 years. No GPA stipulations.

Currently live in NYC, but open to moving to a new city.
Planning to finance living expenses/tuition balance. I will have about $800-1000 income from an apartment I have in NYC.
Is Emory a good choice? I got accepted to many other schools, but Emory has the highest ranking AND offered me the highest scholarship. Also Atlanta seems to be very cheap compare to Manhattan.

Ron Don Volante

Re: Is Emory Law a good choice? ($$$$)

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:05 pm

Unless you plan on spending a long time practicing in Atlanta/the immediate region, doing this would make no sense. Do better on the LSAT and go to NYU; a 165 doesn't do justice for your GPA.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:07 pm

What are your goals and where do you want to work permanently?

With a 4-5 point increase on the LSAT (yes, I know that means waiting a year to start law school, but bear with me), this thread could/would magically turn into

"Do you think a full ride at Emory v this $ at X T-14 is a good idea?"

or

" Emory (full) v Cornell $$$ v NYU $$ v Chicago v Duke $$$?"

This isn't an exaggeration. You seem like a very bright person (your GPA speaks for itself), so with an hour or two of solid research, you should be able to figure out why debt-financing Emory unnecessarily with your GPA is a foolish idea, regardless of your goals. Congrats on the GPA!

*and this isn't to say your LSAT is bad--it's just that a better score would open way more doors for you and that is 100% worth sitting out for

KissMyAxe

Postby KissMyAxe » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSATobsessed

Postby LSATobsessed » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:28 pm

I go to Emory, you'll be fine if you kill it here. From that GPA, you look like you could dominate in the classroom. Classes here are relatively easy and I don't think it would be difficult to end up in the top 10% and land that NYC job. I know 3Ls in that position.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:29 pm

LSATobsessed wrote:I go to Emory, you'll be fine if you kill it here. From that GPA, you look like you could dominate in the classroom. Classes here are relatively easy and I don't think it would be difficult to end up in the top 10% and land that NYC job. I know 3Ls in that position.

this is just horrible advice.

OP, you have absolutely no way of knowing how well you will do in law school. Retake the LSAT and head for greener pastures. Emory is objectively a bad move here.

LSATobsessed

Postby LSATobsessed » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:30 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
LSATobsessed wrote:I go to Emory, you'll be fine if you kill it here. From that GPA, you look like you could dominate in the classroom. Classes here are relatively easy and I don't think it would be difficult to end up in the top 10% and land that NYC job. I know 3Ls in that position.

this is just horrible advice.

OP, you have absolutely no way of knowing how well you will do in law school. Retake the LSAT and head for greener pastures. Emory is objectively a bad move here.

he or she will be absolutely fine. I had a 158/3.88 coming in and I'm doing better than most people here.

KissMyAxe

Postby KissMyAxe » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:34 pm

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:35 pm

LSATobsessed wrote:he or she will be absolutely fine. I had a 158/3.88 coming in and I'm doing better than most people here.

ones input stats mean very, very little wrt to actual performance. you know nothing about this person and telling them to uproot, move to Atlanta, and go to a crappy law school for situation because "classes are easy here" is fucking stupid and you should feel bad and stop giving advice.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:40 pm

Stop; just stop. You're a 1L from Emory who hasn't even gone through OCI yet. Even if you are in the top 10%, you have no personal experience with how employers view top 10% at Emory v median from a t-14. You also can't just say "I had a bad LSAT score and chose not to re-take, and it worked for me, so it'll work for you!" that's not how law school works.

LSATobsessed

Postby LSATobsessed » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:52 pm

runinthefront wrote:

stop. you're a 1L from Emory who hasn't even gone through OCI yet. Even if you are in the top 10%, you have no personal experience with how employers view top 10% at Emory v median from a t-14

spring OCI . . .

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Emory might not even be worth it for anyone with that scholarship, let alone for someone with above a 4.0 and who doesn't have a burning desire to work in Atlanta.

Retake/reapply next cycle

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:Emory might not even be worth it for anyone with that scholarship, let alone for someone with above a 4.0 and who doesn't have a burning desire to work in Atlanta.

Says the guy who attends Texas :roll:

You probably shouldn't be giving anyone advice

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:30 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Emory might not even be worth it for anyone with that scholarship, let alone for someone with above a 4.0 and who doesn't have a burning desire to work in Atlanta.

Not sure I understand the point you're trying to make

Eta: I will say that despite going to a regional school that places well in my desired market and being on track to getting my desired outcome and "only" going about 70K in debt I do sometimes wonder if 70K debt was too much to get that outcome.

As that relates to the OP: he/she would be spending well over 100K at a school with mediocre placement that doesn't place well into his/her home market. That's not worth it IMO.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Emory law has a 100% employment rate and is a top 20 school in a warm and cheap city. You have a massive scholarship and have some more income so you can graduate nearly debt free. Why you would take a year off doing something you don't want to do so you can potentially raise your score to go to a school where you will pay more money to have a slightly better chance of getting a job at a firm where no one is happy if it turns out that you're terrible at law school/law is beyond me. Why assholes in this thread think that their life decisions are so ironclad as to call dissenters "trolls" is even more inconceivable. "Take a year off" of your life in general to do something you don't like is obnoxious striver advice and they should feel ashamed.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:42 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Emory law has a 100% employment rate and is a top 20 school in a warm and cheap city. You have a massive scholarship and have some more income so you can graduate nearly debt free. Why you would take a year off doing something you don't want to do so you can potentially raise your score to go to a school where you will pay more money to have a slightly better chance of getting a job at a firm where no one is happy if it turns out that you're terrible at law school/law is beyond me. Why assholes in this thread think that their life decisions are so ironclad as to call dissenters "trolls" is even more inconceivable. "Take a year off" of your life in general to do something you don't like is obnoxious striver advice and they should feel ashamed.

You just earned my vote

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:

Eta: I will say that despite going to a regional school that places well in my desired market and being on track to getting my desired outcome and "only" going about 70K in debt I do sometimes wonder if 70K debt was too much to get that outcome.

As that relates to the OP: he/she would be spending well over 100K at a school with mediocre placement that doesn't place well into his/her home market. That's not worth it IMO.

Lol @ 60% placement of all grads into home state not being good placement :lol: I'm sure the 20% who "had" to go to ny/cali are super bummed about that placement number.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:48 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:

Lol @ 60% placement of all grads into home state not being good placement :lol: I'm sure the 20% who "had" to go to ny/cali are super bummed about that placement number.

Don't kill the joke duder

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:48 pm

If you go to emory and graduate debt free but unable to find a job, you should be ecstatic that you wont be doing a job that you're obviously terrible at. People taking legal jobs from the bottom 35% at top ten schools are getting bent over.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:51 pm

I don't know what you're talking about bigzuck. http://law.emory.edu/_includes/document ... ummary.pdf

Edit: I dived by 250 instead of 290. Ok, so 50% placement in Georgia alone. What the hell is wrong with that?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:53 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:I don't know what you're talking about bigzuck. http://law.emory.edu/_includes/document ... ummary.pdf

Edit: I dived by 250 instead of 290. Ok, so 50% placement in Georgia alone. What the hell is wrong with that?

I actually really liked the "won't be doing a job you're obviously terrible at" so I'm gonna let you cook away bro

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:55 pm

yeah this is a pretty clear go if you hate what youre doing right now. law isnt the end all be all but being debt free will open up the cooler law jobs.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:37 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:

The douchebag schtick isn't working for you bro I'd try to mix it up

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Go fuck yourself. And stop giving shitty advice.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:13 am

LSATobsessed: "I had a 158 . . . coming in and I'm doing better than most people here."

The irony is delicious.

Return to “Law School FAQ”