Soft factors

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
science burner

Soft factors

Postby science burner » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:07 pm

I'm about 1-1.5 years away from graduating with my PhD in genetics and genome sciences and I'm thinking about pursuing IP law.

I know uGPA and LSAT are the only things that really matter on an application, but as far as softs go where does a PhD in a life science rank for helping admissions? Do publications (number/impact factor) amount to anything meaningful? What about sitting for the patent bar?

Thanks for the help.

ILoveYou

Re: Soft factors

Postby ILoveYou » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:27 pm

I think all of that amounts to well above-average softs. Obviously, it's impossible to say how important any of these things will be to any given school's adcoms, but I would certainly say they're stronger than my softs.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Theyre strong softs for admissions but that doesnt mean much.. but more importantly, all those things (minus publications) will be AMAZING softs for OCI/job stuff. so just get in somewhere and firms will come after you.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:42 pm

I'm finishing up my Ph.D. in chem and applying this year, so far it's helped me punch a bit above my numbers. Granted, my cycle isn't done yet, but for example I'm in at Chicago with a median LSAT and between 25th and median GPA. AlanShore is correct according to every other Ph.D. I've talked to in IP, once you're in, you'll be interview bait for OCI recruiters, those three letters make a HUGE difference in getting jobs.

science burner

Postby science burner » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:29 pm

AlanShore wrote:Theyre strong softs for admissions but that doesnt mean much.. but more importantly, all those things (minus publications) will be AMAZING softs for OCI/job stuff. so just get in somewhere and firms will come after you.

ILoveYou wrote:I think all of that amounts to well above-average softs. Obviously, it's impossible to say how important any of these things will be to any given school's adcoms, but I would certainly say they're stronger than my softs.

Thanks for the help

antiworldly wrote:I'm finishing up my Ph.D. in chem and applying this year, so far it's helped me punch a bit above my numbers.

I have my reasons for considering a switch, but I'm not sure of the funding situation/job prospects for the physical sciences in general. Just curious what the reasoning is to why you're switching to law instead of looking at industry or faculty positions (postdocs). If you're comfortable with saying that is.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:40 pm

science burner wrote:
antiworldly wrote:I'm finishing up my Ph.D. in chem and applying this year, so far it's helped me punch a bit above my numbers.

I have my reasons for considering a switch, but I'm not sure of the funding situation/job prospects for the physical sciences in general. Just curious what the reasoning is to why you're switching to law instead of looking at industry or faculty positions (postdocs). If you're comfortable with saying that is.

I've always had an interest in IP, came to grad school w/ a toss-up between trying for a faculty position or going to law school, so it's been in the cards for a while. Academia is just a blood bath though, and although I've got the kind of background that would give me a shot at a R01 faculty appointment after a good post doc, but the 20% chance I don't think is worth the rewards considering the time wasted if it doesn't pan out. My fiancee and I are also looking at the timing for starting a family, and law fits much better with that than academia. As for industry, I worked in an industrial collaboration/summer internship setup during undergrad, and although it's ok, I like IP work more than the stuff I'd be doing in industry. Plus, law school is only three years, a post doc is two, so there's not a big difference in time to start a real job between the two paths.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:48 pm

I'd also add, feel free to PM me as you go through the process if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help with anything I learn as I progress.

science burner

Postby science burner » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:15 pm

antiworldly wrote:
science burner wrote:

I've always had an interest in IP, came to grad school w/ a toss-up between trying for a faculty position or going to law school, so it's been in the cards for a while. Academia is just a blood bath though, and although I've got the kind of background that would give me a shot at a R01 faculty appointment after a good post doc, but the 20% chance I don't think is worth the rewards considering the time wasted if it doesn't pan out. My fiancee and I are also looking at the timing for starting a family, and law fits much better with that than academia. As for industry, I worked in an industrial collaboration/summer internship setup during undergrad, and although it's ok, I like IP work more than the stuff I'd be doing in industry. Plus, law school is only three years, a post doc is two, so there's not a big difference in time to start a real job between the two paths.

I think we're in very similar situations, especially when it comes to starting a family. Although I'm not so sure how well positioned you'd be to get an R01 after only one or even two postdocs. I saw a stat today that there are more R01 recipients over 75 years of age than under 33 and, apparently, none under 30. Not to mention the competition there is out there for simply getting faculty positions at all is brutal. But hopefully this PhD will be good for something! Haha

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:05 am

Chemistry is at least a bit kinder in terms of faculty appointments than the bio departments, we only require one post doc and the correct pedigree. But every Ph. D. I've talked to who went into law has said it's paid off in spades having those three letters, so here's hoping!

Return to “Law School FAQ”