Questions about Working as a 1L Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mono172000

New

Questions about Working as a 1L

Post by mono172000 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:55 am

Apologies in advance for the dumb question. I'm trying to figure out if I can get my job's year-end bonus while still starting school at the end of August. The bonuses aren't paid out until early September, and while I have enough time-off accrued that I could certainly coast through the first weeks of law school, I would still technically be employed (and collecting a paycheck) for the first couple weeks of being a law student. I know there are rules about being employed as a 1L, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't in violation of anything.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Re: Questions about Working as a 1L

Post by Ron Don Volante » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:57 am

mono172000 wrote:Apologies in advance for the dumb question. I'm trying to figure out if I can get my job's year-end bonus while still starting school at the end of August. The bonuses aren't paid out until early September, and while I have enough time-off accrued that I could certainly coast through the first weeks of law school, I would still technically be employed (and collecting a paycheck) for the first couple weeks of being a law student. I know there are rules about being employed as a 1L, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't in violation of anything.
the first few weeks of law school are useless. as long as you make a passing attempt to read your shit, go for it.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:41 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
mono172000 wrote:Apologies in advance for the dumb question. I'm trying to figure out if I can get my job's year-end bonus while still starting school at the end of August. The bonuses aren't paid out until early September, and while I have enough time-off accrued that I could certainly coast through the first weeks of law school, I would still technically be employed (and collecting a paycheck) for the first couple weeks of being a law student. I know there are rules about being employed as a 1L, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't in violation of anything.
the first few weeks of law school are useless. as long as you make a passing attempt to read your shit, go for it.
This. The first few weeks of 1L semester 1 are useless and mostly a waste of time. I'd check with your school to see if this is allowed though because I think there is an ABA (maybe NALP?) rule against working.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:43 pm

20 hour week ABA limit has been lifted. go nuts.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:45 pm

onionz wrote:20 hour week ABA limit has been lifted. go nuts.
not like it was an actual factor to begin with. they have no possible way to enforce it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”