For those of you at YS... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jetsfan1

Silver

For those of you at YS...

Post by jetsfan1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Especially with numbers below their medians. What would you guess it was in your application that made you stick out? Know this is a general question that could generate general responses (great softs/personal story/yada yada yada). That's all great to hear, but would be cool if people shared specific examples as well.

Thanks!

RZ5646

Gold

Re: For those of you at YS...

Post by RZ5646 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Also, is there any chance for a 175+ 4.0+ applicant with weak softs?

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:31 am

I doubt you'll get many answers because sharing one's own unique softs will identify one, and sharing a classmate's is unseemly.

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:33 pm

I'm at S. I was below median LSAT, above median GPA and got in off the wait list.

I imagine I was wait listed because K-JD along with the borderline numbers, but I think I had a killer personal statement. My resume was average at best.

Feel free to PM.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:22 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Also, is there any chance for a 175+ 4.0+ applicant with weak softs?
Yes, a very good chance. Unless "weak softs" includes mediocre recommendations too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:Also, is there any chance for a 175+ 4.0+ applicant with weak softs?
Yes, a very good chance. Unless "weak softs" includes mediocre recommendations too.
Even at Yale? It was my understanding that non-URM K-JD at Yale just didn't happen. Am I mistaken?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:35 pm

SweetTort wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
Even at Yale? It was my understanding that non-URM K-JD at Yale just didn't happen. Am I mistaken?
yes

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:37 pm

anyone can get into Yale, you just have to believe

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:50 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
yes
If you have the best numbers, you tend to get in places.

I'm a white male from the middle class and a state UG, K-JD. I got in everywhere (including YHS), with the best scholarship offer everywhere that offered merit scholarships(Ruby, Hamilton, Mordecai, etc...). 179/3.97.

My softs are very strong for a K-JD, but nothing special compared to most of my class at SLS, based on what I know of everyone at this point. Your numbers matter. They can trump most things.

To answer the OP, there are people here below both medians. non URM people. Male people. SLS, and YLS based on my experiences with people in their administration, each focus on building a class. It's about the numbers as "can you cut it" and then at the very top, but for anything in between like 165 and 175, it's far more about how they think you'll fit into, contribute to, and represent the class of students.

Are you interesting? Have you traveled? Do you have diverse experiences? Will people be glad to have you next to them in class? For probably 85% of the class, those are the questions that matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks all for the responses. I know its a difficult/sensitive question, but actually got a lot of good info out of this. Keep it coming if there is more!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Instinctive wrote: To answer the OP, there are people here below both medians. non URM people. Male people. SLS, and YLS based on my experiences with people in their administration, each focus on building a class. It's about the numbers as "can you cut it" and then at the very top, but for anything in between like 165 and 175, it's far more about how they think you'll fit into, contribute to, and represent the class of students.
This range strikes me as way too wide, at least at Yale. You don't end up with the medians it has without caring *a lot* about LSATs. I agree with the general sentiment though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”