A quick question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
badluckchuck

New

A quick question

Post by badluckchuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:39 pm

I've experienced quite a bit of crap in my life (not here to whine, I promise), and I want to include my struggle in my adendum. I've had a divorse in the family seeprating pretty much everyone, my father has suffered 2 heart attacks and 3 heart surgeries, 2 stents leaving him bed ridden (I have to take care of him), and my sister had cancer, all while I was working 40+ hours a week and running my own tiny business all the while having medical problems of my own.

I ended up pulling a near 3.0 with all of that crap (which isn't great, but hell, life happens). My question is -- would all that effect my adendum? Are adendums even effective? My life has settled quite a bit and I am going to be far more capable of handling law school. So in short, would law schools even bother to look, assuming I have a high LSAT score, and, would it impact my admission what so ever?

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Re: A quick question

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Unfortunately, no, these struggles are probably not going to make much of a difference in admissions.

But if you crush the LSAT, that can be something of a panacea. Good luck!

badluckchuck

New

Post by badluckchuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:Unfortunately, no, these struggles are probably not going to make much of a difference in admissions.

Unfortunately, even if I slaughter the LSAT with 175+, I wouldn't get into UCLA. Bummer :(

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:51 pm

badluckchuck wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:Unfortunately, no, these struggles are probably not going to make much of a difference in admissions.

Unfortunately, even if I slaughter the LSAT with 175+, I wouldn't get into UCLA. Bummer :(
what

DrSpaceman

Bronze

Post by DrSpaceman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm not an adcomm, but I disagree with the poster who said it's not going to help; that sounds like the exact kind of thing that GPA addenda are for. That's not to say that anyone is obliged to take that into account in any kind of formulaic way, but if that really is something that contributed to what you see as under-performance, why wouldn't you explain it?

As with all things, present explanations as "this is what I faced and how I overcame it. Though it resulted in a lower GPA than I feel I'm capable of under more favorable circumstances, the experience has made me a better person and a better prospective law student." Don't whine or come off as though you expect special treatment.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:54 pm

You can write an addendum to put your low GPA in context, but you will probably still be judged on your 3.0. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

It doesn't seem like you'll be shut out from UCLA if you get a 170+.

badluckchuck

New

Post by badluckchuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:55 pm

DrSpaceman wrote:I'm not an adcomm, but I disagree with the poster who said it's not going to help; that sounds like the exact kind of thing that GPA addenda are for. That's not to say that anyone is obliged to take that into account in any kind of formulaic way, but if that really is something that contributed to what you see as under-performance, why wouldn't you explain it?

As with all things, present explanations as "this is what I faced and how I overcame it. Though it resulted in a lower GPA than I feel I'm capable of under more favorable circumstances, the experience has made me a better person and a better prospective law student." Don't whine or come off as though you expect special treatment.

Good luck.
Oh I dont plan on whining, I looked into how adendums should be written. I'm not one to complain either. Thank you!

badluckchuck

New

Post by badluckchuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 pm

[quote="Dirigo"]You can write an addendum to put your low GPA in context, but you will probably still be judged on your 3.0. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I was looking at some of the older people who had applied with GPA's similar to mine, and they got wait listed and denied.

Also, sorry double post

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:58 pm

badluckchuck wrote: I was looking at some of the older people who had applied with GPA's similar to mine, and they got wait listed and denied.
I highly doubt UCLA discriminates against older students. If anything, the more separation you have from your GPA, the better.
How old/non-traditional are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:59 pm

Yeah I mean law school is generally not a good path to attempt when you have a GPA that low. There are good situations to be had if you crush the lsat, but those situations will almost certainly not involve schools in California.

If you're from California and staying is important to you, I would strongly advise you to find another career path. More generally, if you're risk-averse, you don't want to commit four years and a lot of debt to an uncertain future, and you have any alternative potential paths in life that you think would make you happy, I would not try to do this. Unfortunately -- and in many circumstances, unfairly -- the two biggest indicators of and factors for success as an attorney are your undergraduate GPA and LSAT score. It's going to be a tough with a 3.0 -- no way around it. We're here to help if it's what you end up choosing, though.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:02 pm

Dirigo wrote:You can write an addendum to put your low GPA in context, but you will probably still be judged on your 3.0. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

The thing is, even if he gets into UCLA, there's not going to be much money to be had. Taking even tuition-level debt at UCLA is a very scary option.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
Dirigo wrote:You can write an addendum to put your low GPA in context, but you will probably still be judged on your 3.0. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.
The thing is, even if he gets into UCLA, there's not going to be much money to be had. Taking even tuition-level debt at UCLA is a very scary option.
True, but I mainly wanted to show OP that UCLA is in fact a possibility.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:05 pm

DrSpaceman wrote:I'm not an adcomm, but I disagree with the poster who said it's not going to help; that sounds like the exact kind of thing that GPA addenda are for. That's not to say that anyone is obliged to take that into account in any kind of formulaic way, but if that really is something that contributed to what you see as under-performance, why wouldn't you explain it?
Please present the data that refutes LSN's decade-old hard cutoff lines for literally every school but Berkeley in the T17.

Yes, it could make a difference if OP is on the margins. Thing is, with that GPA, he's simply not going to be on the margins without an extraordinary LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

badluckchuck

New

Post by badluckchuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Hypothetically, what would be a better options if one where to get a 175? I'd like to stay within california, but if there are no other options...

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Northwestern or WUSTL would be the classic options in such a scenario. Not exactly easy to get back to Cali from either, though.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:21 pm

badluckchuck wrote:Hypothetically, what would be a better options if one where to get a 175? I'd like to stay within california, but if there are no other options...
It looks like a better chance at getting money out of UCLA, but about the same chance of being admitted.
Every LSAT point counts, for sure. However, once you're over a school's 75th percentile, you experience diminishing returns.

badluckchuck

New

Post by badluckchuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:54 pm

better get the adendum prepped then. Hopefully, it'll hold enough weight to shift the balance a bit more in my favor

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:07 pm

badluckchuck wrote:better get the adendum LSAT prepped then. Hopefully, it'll hold enough weight to shift the balance a bit more in my favor
ftfy

badluckchuck

New

Post by badluckchuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:53 pm

ballcaps wrote:
badluckchuck wrote:better get the adendum LSAT prepped then. Hopefully, it'll hold enough weight to shift the balance a bit more in my favor
ftfy
Why not both?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:56 pm

because improving on the lsat will actually make a difference

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”