Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12910
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ymmv » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:07 pm

ashca2014 wrote:The responses here actually provided me with some comfort and encouragement about my decision to pursue law.

Based on my research and personal experiences, I arrived at the conclusion that I wanted to practice law a long time ago.
For me, a legal career isn't about capitalizing on the American dream of status and prestige...nor is it about delusions of grandeur, or seeking an elevated social status that will compensate for my personal insecurity and shortcomings. :D


So what is it about for you?

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby fats provolone » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:04 am

ashca2014 wrote:The responses here actually provided me with some comfort and encouragement about my decision to pursue law.

Based on my research and personal experiences, I arrived at the conclusion that I wanted to practice law a long time ago.
For me, a legal career isn't about capitalizing on the American dream of status and prestige...nor is it about delusions of grandeur, or seeking an elevated social status that will compensate for my personal insecurity and shortcomings. :D

my immediate mental response to your post: "kill yourself"

in law, you will be working for and with people exactly like me

enjoy

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22779
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:09 am

To be fair, a lot of people here say "law" when they really mean "biglaw." My colleagues and most opposing counsel are exceedingly chill.

Of course, in the public sector you get a different kind of burnout, particularly among the "help the indigent" kinds of jobs, so there's that.

User avatar
ashca2014
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:16 am

ymmv wrote:
ashca2014 wrote:The responses here actually provided me with some comfort and encouragement about my decision to pursue law.

Based on my research and personal experiences, I arrived at the conclusion that I wanted to practice law a long time ago.
For me, a legal career isn't about capitalizing on the American dream of status and prestige...nor is it about delusions of grandeur, or seeking an elevated social status that will compensate for my personal insecurity and shortcomings. :D


So what is it about for you?


Obtaining the means and influence to [hopefully] have a positive impact on people's lives.

As I mentioned earlier, I have dealt with depression for most of my life. I have also changed locations and living circumstances throughout my life. I've lived in the suburbs of Hawaii, a city in Japan, a college town in Germany, and I've been pretty much dead broke in no-where Indiana. In high school, I was a religious prude...in college, I was a hippie party girl. What I've learned through these experiences is that, for the most part, external factors rarely have a significant impact on one's overall happiness in life. I've been severely depressed in life circumstances that most people would assume would bring a person immense joy.
Any person who buys into the lie that money, prestige, and status bring happiness and fulfillment is terribly naive, and probably has had very little real world experiences. If a person is choosing a life path based on society's concept of success, or because they think it will make others respect and admire them...they are pretty much screwed.

I transferred from a small satellite school on a military post in Japan, to one of the top universities in the country. I thought I would encounter people with unmatched intelligence, passion, etc. But instead, I was met with a bunch of entitled, superficial, neurotic people who were driven to achieve financial success merely because it had been drilled into them at a young age.
They weren't happy. I met more alcoholics and pill poppers than I did people who truly had a passion for what they were studying. For most of them, it was about living up to the ridiculous expectations of their cold, strict parents. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to receive a great education...but I'm also thankful I had the opportunity to see that the "upper class" aren't any happier than the rest of us.

In my opinion and based on my personal experience, happiness and fulfillment comes from having self-confidence (which has to be cultivated introspectively...depending on external factors like prestige and the opinions of others cannot sustain a positive/healthy self-image), healthy and satisfying relationships with friends and family, and being able to do something you enjoy and are passionate about. I enjoy writing, research, debate, philosophy, legal history, and being an advocate for others.
As a black female, I feel I have a perspective that has afforded me unique insight and motivation when it comes to helping subjugated social groups.

But at the same time, I don't expect to change the world. I also don't expect for my career to be the central source of meaning and happiness in my life.
Last edited by ashca2014 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby fats provolone » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:17 am

i hope you do well honestly

User avatar
ashca2014
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:18 am

fats provolone wrote:
ashca2014 wrote:The responses here actually provided me with some comfort and encouragement about my decision to pursue law.

Based on my research and personal experiences, I arrived at the conclusion that I wanted to practice law a long time ago.
For me, a legal career isn't about capitalizing on the American dream of status and prestige...nor is it about delusions of grandeur, or seeking an elevated social status that will compensate for my personal insecurity and shortcomings. :D

my immediate mental response to your post: "kill yourself"

in law, you will be working for and with people exactly like me

enjoy


We'll see. ;)

User avatar
ashca2014
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:19 am

fats provolone wrote:i hope you do well honestly


D'awwww. :oops:

User avatar
ashca2014
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:22 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Of course, in the public sector you get a different kind of burnout, particularly among the "help the indigent" kinds of jobs, so there's that.


Yeah, that does concern me a bit, to be honest. We shall see I suppose. But I've kinda been burnt out on life since I was 14...so it can only get better or stay the same.
Last edited by ashca2014 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby fats provolone » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:31 am

ashca2014 wrote:
fats provolone wrote:i hope you do well honestly


D'awwww. :oops:

I'm drunk though

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:02 am

Happiness and fulfillment come from money and having the most impressive business card.

User avatar
ashca2014
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:45 am

kalvano wrote:Happiness and fulfillment come from money and having the most impressive business card.


Okay, Patrick Bateman. :wink:

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13415
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:24 am

ashca2014 wrote:
ymmv wrote:
ashca2014 wrote:The responses here actually provided me with some comfort and encouragement about my decision to pursue law.

Based on my research and personal experiences, I arrived at the conclusion that I wanted to practice law a long time ago.
For me, a legal career isn't about capitalizing on the American dream of status and prestige...nor is it about delusions of grandeur, or seeking an elevated social status that will compensate for my personal insecurity and shortcomings. :D


So what is it about for you?


Obtaining the means and influence to [hopefully] have a positive impact on people's lives.

As I mentioned earlier, I have dealt with depression for most of my life. I have also changed locations and living circumstances throughout my life. I've lived in the suburbs of Hawaii, a city in Japan, a college town in Germany, and I've been pretty much dead broke in no-where Indiana. In high school, I was a religious prude...in college, I was a hippie party girl. What I've learned through these experiences is that, for the most part, external factors rarely have a significant impact on one's overall happiness in life. I've been severely depressed in life circumstances that most people would assume would bring a person immense joy.
Any person who buys into the lie that money, prestige, and status bring happiness and fulfillment is terribly naive, and probably has had very little real world experiences. If a person is choosing a life path based on society's concept of success, or because they think it will make others respect and admire them...they are pretty much screwed.

I transferred from a small satellite school on a military post in Japan, to one of the top universities in the country. I thought I would encounter people with unmatched intelligence, passion, etc. But instead, I was met with a bunch of entitled, superficial, neurotic people who were driven to achieve financial success merely because it had been drilled into them at a young age.
They weren't happy. I met more alcoholics and pill poppers than I did people who truly had a passion for what they were studying. For most of them, it was about living up to the ridiculous expectations of their cold, strict parents. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to receive a great education...but I'm also thankful I had the opportunity to see that the "upper class" aren't any happier than the rest of us.

In my opinion and based on my personal experience, happiness and fulfillment comes from having self-confidence (which has to be cultivated introspectively...depending on external factors like prestige and the opinions of others cannot sustain a positive/healthy self-image), healthy and satisfying relationships with friends and family, and being able to do something you enjoy and are passionate about. I enjoy writing, research, debate, philosophy, legal history, and being an advocate for others.
As a black female, I feel I have a perspective that has afforded me unique insight and motivation when it comes to helping subjugated social groups.

But at the same time, I don't expect to change the world. I also don't expect for my career to be the central source of meaning and happiness in my life.


What job, exactly, do you have in mind for yourself? If you want to "help people" there are a thousand better ways to do it than through the law. Why not go work for UNHCR or get into public policy or start a company that doesn't treat people like shit?

If you really want to help people, going to law school seems like you are- at best- taking a three year detour, and more likely you're just driving off the path.

User avatar
ashca2014
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:42 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
ashca2014 wrote:
ymmv wrote:
ashca2014 wrote:The responses here actually provided me with some comfort and encouragement about my decision to pursue law.

Based on my research and personal experiences, I arrived at the conclusion that I wanted to practice law a long time ago.
For me, a legal career isn't about capitalizing on the American dream of status and prestige...nor is it about delusions of grandeur, or seeking an elevated social status that will compensate for my personal insecurity and shortcomings. :D


So what is it about for you?


Obtaining the means and influence to [hopefully] have a positive impact on people's lives.

As I mentioned earlier, I have dealt with depression for most of my life. I have also changed locations and living circumstances throughout my life. I've lived in the suburbs of Hawaii, a city in Japan, a college town in Germany, and I've been pretty much dead broke in no-where Indiana. In high school, I was a religious prude...in college, I was a hippie party girl. What I've learned through these experiences is that, for the most part, external factors rarely have a significant impact on one's overall happiness in life. I've been severely depressed in life circumstances that most people would assume would bring a person immense joy.
Any person who buys into the lie that money, prestige, and status bring happiness and fulfillment is terribly naive, and probably has had very little real world experiences. If a person is choosing a life path based on society's concept of success, or because they think it will make others respect and admire them...they are pretty much screwed.

I transferred from a small satellite school on a military post in Japan, to one of the top universities in the country. I thought I would encounter people with unmatched intelligence, passion, etc. But instead, I was met with a bunch of entitled, superficial, neurotic people who were driven to achieve financial success merely because it had been drilled into them at a young age.
They weren't happy. I met more alcoholics and pill poppers than I did people who truly had a passion for what they were studying. For most of them, it was about living up to the ridiculous expectations of their cold, strict parents. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to receive a great education...but I'm also thankful I had the opportunity to see that the "upper class" aren't any happier than the rest of us.

In my opinion and based on my personal experience, happiness and fulfillment comes from having self-confidence (which has to be cultivated introspectively...depending on external factors like prestige and the opinions of others cannot sustain a positive/healthy self-image), healthy and satisfying relationships with friends and family, and being able to do something you enjoy and are passionate about. I enjoy writing, research, debate, philosophy, legal history, and being an advocate for others.
As a black female, I feel I have a perspective that has afforded me unique insight and motivation when it comes to helping subjugated social groups.

But at the same time, I don't expect to change the world. I also don't expect for my career to be the central source of meaning and happiness in my life.


What job, exactly, do you have in mind for yourself? If you want to "help people" there are a thousand better ways to do it than through the law. Why not go work for UNHCR or get into public policy or start a company that doesn't treat people like shit?

If you really want to help people, going to law school seems like you are- at best- taking a three year detour, and more likely you're just driving off the path.


There may be better ways...but as I initially stated, I have an interest in law, and a desire to practice law as my career.
It's something I've wanted to for as long as I can remember. I was the weirdo kid who watched Courttv (now Trutv) instead of cartoons all summer, and liked to listen to political talk radio.

In our country, decent legal representation is often limited to those with the massive bank accounts to afford it. Why? Because a majority of people who pursue a legal career are white males (although, admittedly, that has been changing in recent years) who generally do so with the intention of making as much money as possible and achieving a social status that will make them envied and admired. They have no problem looking out for the legal interests of those that reflect their values and desired lifestyle.

In my opinion, the American legal field desperately needs people who come from a different perspective. I feel that as a black female, I can offer a level of insight, dedication, and empathy to clients who otherwise may be not be provided with adequate representation. Furthermore, I don't care about becoming rich, I don't need a fancy condo in NYC, and I don't dream about owning a $100,000 car to compensate for the shortcomings of my masculinity. Therefore, I'd be willing serve clients without demanding obscene amounts of money.

Basically, I think the inequity in legal representation in our society is bullshit...and I hope to do my part, however small, to change it. I would gladly offer my services to groups that focus on racism, sexism, ageism, disability rights, animal rights. Obviously, I will zero in on a speciality at some point...but yeah.

I am aware that there is a possibility that things may not turn out as I hope they will...but that's life. There are no guarantees.
I might go to law school, spend three years tired and miserable trying to maintain decent grades, then get run over by a bus the day before graduation. I don't think my goals are any less realistic than the dudes who are pursing law school with dreams of becoming obscenely rich and screwing super models for the rest of their lives (which pretty much seems to be the norm among those who salivate over the prospect of "biglaw").

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:48 pm

ashca2014 wrote:In our country, decent legal representation is often limited to those with the massive bank accounts to afford it. Why? Because a majority of people who pursue a legal career are white males (although, admittedly, that has been changing in recent years) who generally do so with the intention of making as much money as possible and achieving a social status that will make them envied and admired.

That's actually not at all why. You sound like a law school dean.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby pancakes3 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:56 pm

I find the OP's characterization of the types of people who go to law school to be fairly offensive. People are capable of pursuing financial security without being compensating for a small dick or motivated by supermodel pussy. In fact, I would say that most don't.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:03 pm

OP keep in mind this is true of other high stress/long hour professions
A lot of doctors tell undergrad pre-meds to do something else, even to become a dentist (bc better hours, low stress, good $)
A friend of mine who is a dr posted an article (with a graph) showing that the economic outcome is similar for someone who starts becoming a public school teacher out of undergrad vs. goes to med school, because the latter is very expensive plus you lose the salary from those years
Don't go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer or your don't have the traits to be successful

User avatar
ashca2014
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:27 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
ashca2014 wrote:In our country, decent legal representation is often limited to those with the massive bank accounts to afford it. Why? Because a majority of people who pursue a legal career are white males (although, admittedly, that has been changing in recent years) who generally do so with the intention of making as much money as possible and achieving a social status that will make them envied and admired.

That's actually not at all why. You sound like a law school dean.


May not be the sole reason...but I'd wager it definitely has an impact.

User avatar
ashca2014
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:30 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I find the OP's characterization of the types of people who go to law school to be fairly offensive. People are capable of pursuing financial security without being compensating for a small dick or motivated by supermodel pussy. In fact, I would say that most don't.


I wasn't referring to people who merely want financial security.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11941
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby Rigo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Drop the holier than thou attitude.
You took your diagnostic a few days ago.

User avatar
ashca2014
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Dirigo wrote:Drop the holier than thou attitude.
You took your diagnostic a few days ago.


And?

If you or others perceive me as having a "holier than thou" attitude...not my problem.
I'm not claiming to be some martyr, or self-sacrificing Mother Teresa. I'm pursuing fulfillment and career satisfaction just like everyone else...I just have my own definition of what it is.

User avatar
kjartan
Posts: 1367
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:49 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby kjartan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Your classmates are going to eat you alive.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12910
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ymmv » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:03 pm

kjartan wrote:Your classmates are going to eat you alive.


No they won't. Law schools are full of people this naive who form an echo chamber of enablement when congregated.

User avatar
ashca2014
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby ashca2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:07 pm

ymmv wrote:
kjartan wrote:Your classmates are going to eat you alive.


No they won't. Law schools are full of people this naive who form an echo chamber of enablement when congregated.


More comforting info.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11941
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby Rigo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:10 pm

ashca2014 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Drop the holier than thou attitude.
You took your diagnostic a few days ago.

And?

It's tactless.
ashca2014 wrote:If you or others perceive me as having a "holier than thou" attitude...not my problem.

Who wouldn't perceive that given your posts on this page?
ashca2014 wrote:I'm not claiming to be some martyr, or self-sacrificing Mother Teresa. I'm pursuing fulfillment and career satisfaction just like everyone else...I just have my own definition of what it is.

Cool. That isn't what I'm criticizing.
You're making inaccurate sweeping generalizations of others in order to prop yourself up as a better person. Citing the size of a man's anatomy for all the ills you perceive in the legal field/world is a bit much. You're making value judgements about people you don't know.
Also, know your audience. Many posters here are white males who are in biglaw/want biglaw. This isn't how you make friends and influence people.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Bombarded with People Saying "Don't do it!"

Postby fats provolone » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:21 pm

i have a huge cock and biglaw still sucks




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest