Best Options for Schools That Accept a June 2015 LSAT?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nv93

Best Options for Schools That Accept a June 2015 LSAT?

Postby nv93 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:29 pm

I am looking to go to the University of Florida but I also want some contingency options just in case of emergency. Miami says they accept a June LSAT for the current Fall 2015 class. Are there any good public institutions that would take that said LSAT? I am looking to score a 157-160 on my first LSAT and I need to bump up my score from a 152 (December last practice test w/ only studying Logic Games at the time). Forget the stats if they don't help you answer the question, it's just a little snippet into my predicament. Thanks to the guy who rear ended my car with Pontiac Firebird, injuries and stress forced me to focus on work and school and avoid studying for the LSAT until I started to feel better enough to study.

Rigo

Re: Best Options for Schools That Accept a June 2015 LSAT?

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:37 am

All schools will accept your score...next cycle.
Hth.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:01 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:17 am

none.

nv93

Postby nv93 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:01 pm

So people are going to tell me with my limited options (cannot take a year off) that applying and getting accepted to UNC, UGA, FSU, or other schools isn't worth it? I don't care about funding as much right now as my important goal is to get accepted beyond the one school that accepted me.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:04 pm

nv93 wrote:So people are going to tell me with my limited options (cannot take a year off) that applying and getting accepted to UNC, UGA, FSU, or other schools isn't worth it? I don't care about funding as much right now as my important goal is to get accepted beyond the one school that accepted me.

So you're in a hurry to get into LS?

NonTradLawHopeful

Postby NonTradLawHopeful » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:23 pm

nv93 wrote:So people are going to tell me with my limited options (cannot take a year off) that applying and getting accepted to UNC, UGA, FSU, or other schools isn't worth it? I don't care about funding as much right now as my important goal is to get accepted beyond the one school that accepted me.

The issue is getting admitted and getting scholly money.

Law schools admit on a rolling basis, so by that point schools have been admitting people for 8+ months. The only schools you'd get into are the ones desperately trying to still fill their class.

nv93

Postby nv93 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:00 pm

mvp99 wrote:

So you're in a hurry to get into LS?

Yes, I am.

nv93

Postby nv93 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:01 pm

NonTradLawHopeful wrote:

The issue is getting admitted and getting scholly money.

Law schools admit on a rolling basis, so by that point schools have been admitting people for 8+ months. The only schools you'd get into are the ones desperately trying to still fill their class.

I can get $ from Miami or private universities, but yes, it will be a problem. But admissions is my main concern. I want UGA as my top out of state target right now.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:08 pm

why don't you email them and ask. or apply and see. looks like you already know a few that you listed.

Westofeden

Postby Westofeden » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:53 am

Take the year off

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:08 am

It sounds to me like you know that you should wait to apply next cycle, but you're afraid of having to hustle to find employment. Enrolling at a school that would accept your June LSAT would take a small problem (I need to find a professional-sounding job over the next few months) and turn it into a gigantic, borderline life-ruining problem (after 3 years of investment, I still need to find a job -- only now, it's harder to find a job because I have a crappy credential in an over-saturated market, plus I'm hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt).

Advice: tackle the small problem while it's a small problem. Take the LSAT seriously, and apply on time next cycle. This is a decision that will impact the rest of your life. Don't make a bad decision in order to feel slightly more comfortable in the short term.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:10 pm

Don't be stupid OP. Retake and apply early. You're entering a difficult field, stick with what works...applying early with your best numbers. I can just about promise you that you would regret taking on 200,000+ in debt to attend whatever shitty school would accept an LSAT who's score is released 6 weeks before classes start lol. Whatever your reasons for not wanting to wait just one year are probably terrible, but in the interest of being fair, you have an opportunity to convince me why you can't take one year off.

thisone2014

Postby thisone2014 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:41 pm

kcdc1 wrote:Enrolling at a school that would accept your June LSAT would take a small problem (I need to find a professional-sounding job over the next few months) and turn it into a gigantic, borderline life-ruining problem (after 3 years of investment, I still need to find a job -- only now, it's harder to find a job because I have a crappy credential in an over-saturated market, plus I'm hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt).

Advice: tackle the small problem while it's a small problem. Take the LSAT seriously, and apply on time next cycle. This is a decision that will impact the rest of your life. Don't make a bad decision in order to feel slightly more comfortable in the short term.

+1

unless you have really, really compelling reasons that you must apply this cycle-- I mean extraordinarily unique reasons, the likes of which I can't exactly imagine at the moment-- this is a no-brainer

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:06 pm

apparently last year UCLA was taking applications to begin immediately that fall after the June 2014 LSAT results. That's probably the highest "ranked" school to pull such a move.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:19 pm

I don't see why you should be applying to UNC, UGA, and UF -- unless you're hunting full-rides at those schools. Those are all regional schools. You almost always to school in the state you want to work in (at a price that makes sense given the job prospects at the school).

Where do you want to work? What kind of work do you want to do? Where do you already have significant ties?

These are the questions you should be asking yourself right now.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:28 pm

This is America. Land of choice, and destiny. Unemployment and debt are vital quests, and they cannot wait. So many people pursue success, and it's pretty close minded to close yourself off to the nobility of pursuing failure.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:53 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:This is America. Land of choice, and destiny. Unemployment and debt are vital quests, and they cannot wait. So many people pursue success, and it's pretty close minded to close yourself off to the nobility of pursuing failure.

Preach

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:50 am

In 2012 Chicago, Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell, and GULC all agreed to review an app in the last week of July from somebody who had taken the June LSAT. (The person who contacted their admissions offices shared the emails with me.) This was three years ago, so at this point you could probably get just about everybody south of YHS to do this, and I'm not too sure about H.

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Paul Campos wrote:In 2012 Chicago, Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell, and GULC all agreed to review an app in the last week of July from somebody who had taken the June LSAT. (The person who contacted their admissions offices shared the emails with me.) This was three years ago, so at this point you could probably get just about everybody south of YHS to do this, and I'm not too sure about H.

Wow, that is very interesting.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:50 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:In 2012 Chicago, Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell, and GULC all agreed to review an app in the last week of July from somebody who had taken the June LSAT. (The person who contacted their admissions offices shared the emails with me.) This was three years ago, so at this point you could probably get just about everybody south of YHS to do this, and I'm not too sure about H.

Wow, that is very interesting.

Yeah those schools would probably review an application from an applicant with LSAT/GPA stats near or above their respective medians. But OP hopes to score 157-160, which places him/her in a range of schools much different than those listed by Mr. Campos.

Not sure if you're making the correct move, OP.

Many people have taken at least one additional year just to increase their chances at a successful career, which I think is something you should strongly consider. Rushing yourself to get into law school with a 157-160 (assuming you actually achieve that) this year would without a doubt be the wrong move; one that I, and many others on this site, almost made a couple of years ago. IMO, you should really consider taking another year off, saving money for whatever reason, retaking the LSAT (more than once if possible) to score as close to 180 as possible, and profit.

Could be the difference of FSU and T14/Strong regional with full ride.

Listen to what everyone above me is telling you. Although it isn't what you want to hear, as it wasn't when I asked similar questions a couple years ago, it's great advice. I listened to it and I went from almost attending Miami at sticker two years ago to now having much much better options. I saved myself a couple hundred thousand dollars.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:08 pm

It will probably come down to what the school needs. Just like lawyers may unexpectedly need another case to reach billable hours, there may be a scenario where a school unexpectedly needs 1 high LSAT or high GPA.

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Very few schools would tell you straight up to not apply. At the very least a school should/would be happy to add one more app to their volume so the decline doesn't look so bad.

And I would think most schools would not cut off their nose to spite their face by telling an above median applicant to go away no matter how late they applied.

So IF you're able to get your LSAT above median at your target schools then you probably have a shot at getting in. But getting in isn't the end of the story. Unless they just REALLY need your LSAT, chances are they won't have much, if any, scholarship money for you. And if they do, chances are decent that you could get more with the exact same numbers were you to apply earlier.

I have several examples of applicants not getting in solely because they applied too late scores that were "good enough" but too low to admit late because we were on a razor's edge with respect to our targets. They then were admitted easily the next year when they applied early.

I imagine the situation Uschoolqb10 described should be more common, but isn't because people feel some weird pressure to hurry up and get to school. (Seriously, I've been having this conversation with 20 year olds practically weekly this cycle.) Not saying there aren't good reasons to not want to wait out a year, but experience tells me that such reasons are extremely rare.

Like others said, you can do whatever you want. You will be in a law school somewhere. It's up to you to make the decision that gives you the most/best options, and that's most likely to wait.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

tyleanav93

Postby tyleanav93 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm

[quote="nv93"]So people are going to tell me with my limited options (cannot take a year off) that applying and getting accepted to UNC, UGA, FSU, or other schools isn't worth it? I don't care about funding as much right now as my important goal is to get accepted beyond the one school that accepted me.[/q

IDK OF SCHOOLS IN YOUR AREA, BUT I'D SAY APPLY TO WHOEVER TAKES THE SCORE AND THEN TRANSFER WHERE YOU REALLY WANT TO GO.
SCREW THE BAD ADVICE TO TAKE A YEAR OFF....
AND TO WHOEVER SAID " A SCHOOL THAT ACCEPTS A JUNE LSAT SCORE ISN'T WORTH GOING TO...THAT'S JUST A SAD SOUL

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:29 pm

tyleanav93 wrote:
nv93 wrote:So people are going to tell me with my limited options (cannot take a year off) that applying and getting accepted to UNC, UGA, FSU, or other schools isn't worth it? I don't care about funding as much right now as my important goal is to get accepted beyond the one school that accepted me.[/q

IDK OF SCHOOLS IN YOUR AREA, BUT I'D SAY APPLY TO WHOEVER TAKES THE SCORE AND THEN TRANSFER WHERE YOU REALLY WANT TO GO.
SCREW THE BAD ADVICE TO TAKE A YEAR OFF....
AND TO WHOEVER SAID " A SCHOOL THAT ACCEPTS A JUNE LSAT SCORE ISN'T WORTH GOING TO...THAT'S JUST A SAD SOUL

You're either a new troll, or a moron. In either case, stop it.

Return to “Law School FAQ”