Would GPA of 3.03 vs 3.1 make a difference?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
rhee730

Would GPA of 3.03 vs 3.1 make a difference?

Postby rhee730 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Hey guys,

I took an extra semester fixing my GPA and finally made it to the 3.00. My GPA is 3.03 as of now. I will be a Fall graduate.

I repeated a course last summer but my school made a mistake of not replacing the grade with the new one. If I get this fixed, my GPA will be at 3.1. However, If I replace the GPA, then it also replaces the credit because I am repeating the course. If I replace the credit, then I can't graduate on time unless I take one more course this Spring or I can take one over the summer . Is 3.1 GPA worth the effort to hold off my diploma until later? I will be applying to Law School this fall and as of now, I have no intention of applying for a job but I want to keep my options open for an internship position or may be a part time job before I start Applying and attending Law School.

Would 3.1 GPA increase my chance of getting into T14 schools than a 3.03 with a 170 LSAT?

Thanks,

js1663

Re: Would GPA of 3.03 vs 3.1 make a difference?

Postby js1663 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:53 pm

You might want to check with LSAC's policies on this. I'm not so sure that a repeated course doesn't just count twice - I think you'd get both grades factored in, even if your school doesn't count one in it's grading calculations (though it it removes it from the transcript altogether that might be another story).

Edit: After reading the policies it does indicate that a class for 0 credits wouldn't be factored in.

As far as your original question, if you have nothing better to do it can't hurt (though you should retake and try to improve your LSAT score from 170 for scholarship purposes), but I doubt it'd really make a difference between the two, both are >3.0 which is a big cutoff and it's still going to be below the 25th of any decent school.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:57 pm

any increase on your GPA can matter in the long run IMO.

.03 to .1 could be the difference between being below the 25% and being at it depending on the school. Everything seems to be about holding medians, so any increase in your GPA you can make, go for it.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:02 am

Tbh, if you're already below the 25th it won't matter that much. If it's vreaking you into that 25th territory, it's far more important.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:08 am

RaiderRed wrote:any increase on your GPA can matter in the long run IMO.

.03 to .1 could be the difference between being below the 25% and being at it depending on the school. Everything seems to be about holding medians, so any increase in your GPA you can make, go for it.

Uh no. If the school is anywhere near that GPA for the 25th, OP needs to run away as fast as possible.

Won't make much of any difference at all, OP.

Tomasz

Postby Tomasz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:12 am

rhee730 wrote:Hey guys,

I took an extra semester fixing my GPA and finally made it to the 3.00. My GPA is 3.03 as of now. I will be a Fall graduate.

I repeated a course last summer but my school made a mistake of not replacing the grade with the new one. If I get this fixed, my GPA will be at 3.1. However, If I replace the GPA, then it also replaces the credit because I am repeating the course. If I replace the credit, then I can't graduate on time unless I take one more course this Spring or I can take one over the summer . Is 3.1 GPA worth the effort to hold off my diploma until later? I will be applying to Law School this fall and as of now, I have no intention of applying for a job but I want to keep my options open for an internship position or may be a part time job before I start Applying and attending Law School.

Would 3.1 GPA increase my chance of getting into T14 schools than a 3.03 with a 170 LSAT?

Thanks,

First of all the way your school calculates GPA may be different from LSAC. LSAC counts all listed grades, regardless of retaking I believe. Many schools will replace the grade for the purpose of degree GPA or honors, but LSAC will not.

And a 3.03 is pretty bad for law school. What makes you think you can get a 170 LSAT? Did you actually get that or are you just guessing? Your GPA is near the bottom for law school applicants but you're talking about a top of the top LSAT?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:40 am

Except USNWR only looks at the median, not the 25/75.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Clearly wrote:

I thought they switched off some years and look at the 25/75 instead of (or in addition to) the median. I've heard some years they average the 25 & 75 and thus schools are discouraged from having a super low 25 and thus a large spread.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Clearly wrote:

I thought they switched off some years and look at the 25/75 instead of (or in addition to) the median. I've heard some years they average the 25 & 75 and thus schools are discouraged from having a super low 25 and thus a large spread.

I see no record of this. Current methodology still lists only the median as counting.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:18 pm

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:22 pm

rhee730 wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks,

I doubt this would make a big difference, and isn't worth doing another semester for. Either way, you're below almost every respectable school's 25th, but are still above a 3. It's probably worth less than 1 LSAT point.

Return to “Law School FAQ”