Work Experience + LSAT + Low GPA Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
storpappa

Silver

Re: Work Experience + LSAT + Low GPA

Post by storpappa » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:29 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
Aurelius85 wrote:I know you asked about your chances...I can't answer that, I don't think anyone can, all anyone can do is give you approximations. My post addresses any doubts or fears you may develop after some of the posts your thread has received. This may be interpreted as irresponsible and nonsensical by many of the regular posters, nevertheless I understand where you're coming from and what you're going through so my advice would be that if you really want to go to law school, and I mean you're really committed to this field of study and you understand wholeheartedly the sacrifices and difficulties you'll probably have to experience (money wise, employment wise), I would encourage you to work like hell for the best possible score on the LSAT and load up on as much experience as possible before applying. Don't rule any school out just because the numbers prove otherwise. Principally, do your best on the LSAT, even if that means postponing it until you're regularly scoring in the 170's on PTs. You're still young and law school's not going to go away, so given your GPA you need to ensure that you score your highest on the LSAT, even if that means you don't go to law school next year or the year after that. In addition, load up on as much experience and volunteer work as possible. Even if some people say work experience and volunteering don't add anything, these experiences can't hurt you, so why not have them? Once you've got your +170 if you're able to reach it and you've got a wealth of work experience and volunteer work (along with LORs), apply to every school you're interested in. Attempt the impossible, perhaps you get a shot at a T14 school or another, it's at least worth trying. Don't let others talk you out of doing what you want to do. I know I'm gonna get flamed for my position...but if you're committed to this and you understand the hardships you'll suffer and you're okay with them, don't let others decide for you. You may fail or you may be in debt for the rest of your life, but at least you tried and you did what you wanted to do.
I love the wisdom on these threads, delivered with a lot of reality and humor :)

Return to “Ask a Law Student”