Is it too early to send a LOCI?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
pn1124

Is it too early to send a LOCI?

Postby pn1124 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:43 am

Hi all!

First post here, and just want to thank this incredible community for all of the law school wisdom that is continuously shared on this blog.

I've been thinking about sending LOCIs for a few school, but I'm not sure if it's too early in the applications to do so. Few questions:

1. I applied to most schools at the end of September and still haven't heard back from many of them. Would you recommend sending LOCIs to these schools now, or should I wait till the end of the month and see if any more decisions come my way?
2. I had my early decision to NYU sent to regular decision -- is it a good idea to send a LOCI to them?
3. I submitted my Georgetown application in September, and received an email saying that they are going to hold off on my decision until the end of February -- is it a good idea to send a LOCI before then?

I have a good amount of work projects that I have completed since I applied and I've recently been given more important responsibilities at work so I do have some things to bring up in my LOCIs. But, one worry of mine is that if I write my LOCI now and discuss my recent accomplishments then I won't have much else to write about if I get waitlisted at schools and have to write another LOCI for them.

What do you all think? Thanks for the help!
Last edited by pn1124 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Re: Is it to early to send a LOCI?

Postby Clearly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:45 am

1)judgement call
2) no
3) no way

pn1124

Re: Is it to early to send a LOCI?

Postby pn1124 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:59 am

Clearly wrote:1)judgement call
2) no
3) no way

Thanks for the feedback, Clearly.

What's your reasoning for 2 and 3? Is it better, in general, to send a LOCI after a school makes their decision?

Clearly

Re: Is it too early to send a LOCI?

Postby Clearly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:05 am

No, because that wouldn't be a LOCI. My reasoning is that the purpose of it is to remind them you exist, and maybe give you a little yield reassurance if they act. NYU already knows whatever you are gonna say because you EDed, but maybe one would be appropriate depending on when they sent you to RD, if it was recently I wouldn't do it. GULC explicitly told you when they would make a decision and it would be pestering and pretty odd to send them one.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:07 am

TBH i dont think I'd send one for any of them

pn1124

Postby pn1124 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:10 am

Clearly wrote:No, because that wouldn't be a LOCI. My reasoning is that the purpose of it is to remind them you exist, and maybe give you a little yield reassurance if they act. NYU already knows whatever you are gonna say because you EDed, but maybe one would be appropriate depending on when they sent you to RD, if it was recently I wouldn't do it. GULC explicitly told you when they would make a decision and it would be pestering and pretty odd to send them one.

That makes sense, thanks for your help!

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:10 am

Return to “Law School FAQ”