Retaking LSAT when already accepted? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
uschopeful7

New

Retaking LSAT when already accepted?

Post by uschopeful7 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:58 pm

I've already taken the LSAT twice and have applied to schools. I've gotten 4 acceptances, some offered significant $$.

I applied ED to USC and was deferred to RD. My question is whether or not I can now choose to retake in Feb and still be considered for this cycle when I've already sent in my application.

Will the schools that already accepted me have any problem with me retaking the LSAT?
I know I have the ability increase a few points from my past two scores.

R. Jeeves

Gold

Re: Retaking LSAT when already accepted?

Post by R. Jeeves » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:00 pm

They won't have a problem with you retaking.

Are you asking if anything bad could happen at the schools you've been accepted to if your LSAT score drops?

Just the fact that youre retaking is not going to cause any problems.

uschopeful7

New

Post by uschopeful7 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:02 pm

pulstar1 wrote:They won't have a problem with you retaking.

Are you asking if anything bad could come out of dropping your LSAT score at the schools you've been accepted to?

Just the fact that youre retaking is not going to cause any problems.

Exactly! Will it hurt me if I did end up getting a lower score?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:00 am

uschopeful7 wrote:Will it hurt me if I did end up getting a lower score?
Not one bit. Nothing to lose, and $$$ to gain. Good luck.

LFCNY9

New

Post by LFCNY9 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:52 pm

I have a related question. I am a few steps behind uschopeful7, in that I have not yet send out my applications (I have everything pretty much ready to go, just cleaning up my PS). However, I feel that I can improve on my last LSAT score from December, and am considering registering late for the Feb LSAT and spending the next month buckling down and studying.

In my situation, is the best approach to send in my applications as planned, and let them know somewhere on the app that I am taking the LSAT again in Feb? If I do this, do I risk them looking unfavorably on my candidacy if I actually score worse?

Having a really hard time deciding what to do, and would really appreciate any advice. For the record, I unfortunately cannot really afford to delay my applications for another cycle, and need to apply for Fall 2015 either way.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:10 pm

LFCNY9 wrote:I have a related question. I am a few steps behind uschopeful7, in that I have not yet send out my applications (I have everything pretty much ready to go, just cleaning up my PS). However, I feel that I can improve on my last LSAT score from December, and am considering registering late for the Feb LSAT and spending the next month buckling down and studying.

In my situation, is the best approach to send in my applications as planned, and let them know somewhere on the app that I am taking the LSAT again in Feb? If I do this, do I risk them looking unfavorably on my candidacy if I actually score worse?

Having a really hard time deciding what to do, and would really appreciate any advice. For the record, I unfortunately cannot really afford to delay my applications for another cycle, and need to apply for Fall 2015 either way.

I wouldn't apply now if you run the risk of getting rejected based on your current numbers. Or, if that is the case I guess maybe you could apply, tell them you're retaking the LSAT, and see if they will wait to evaluate your file after that score comes in.

californiadreamin15

New

Post by californiadreamin15 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:19 pm

Some schools will continue to evaluate your application with a pending LSAT score. USC, however, automatically makes your file incomplete when you are registered for a future LSAT (even if you were complete before registering). So the only potential harm in retaking is not going complete again until your Feb results and competing for fewer spots/less scholly $$.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:24 pm

Srs question: Fewer spots/less scholarship money is just pure 0L flame, yes? My cycle (2 years ago) schools were accepting people in the summer that they had outright rejected early in the cycle, considering June LSATs for people applying in the summer when they said their deadline was in March, etc. There are even fewer people applying now, I can imagine schools rejecting or lowballing candidates that they desperately need.

Or did schools all of a sudden acquire some sense of shame?

LFCNY9

New

Post by LFCNY9 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:27 pm

BigZuck wrote:
LFCNY9 wrote:I have a related question. I am a few steps behind uschopeful7, in that I have not yet send out my applications (I have everything pretty much ready to go, just cleaning up my PS). However, I feel that I can improve on my last LSAT score from December, and am considering registering late for the Feb LSAT and spending the next month buckling down and studying.

I wouldn't apply now if you run the risk of getting rejected based on your current numbers. Or, if that is the case I guess maybe you could apply, tell them you're retaking the LSAT, and see if they will wait to evaluate your file after that score comes in.
Thanks. I'm sort of borderline at most schools I am applying to. One or two I have a very good shot at getting in. Most of T14 is a reach, but I believe I can get my LSAT score in range. I think I'll apply, let them know I am taking in Feb (can only help with $$ if nothing else at the schools I will get into anyway), and hope that they hold off reviewing fully until that score comes in.

But does anyone have an idea as to whether it will hurt my chances if the score is lower, or will they still accept my highest score? This would be my 3rd take btw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:31 pm

They'll just consider the highest. If you help their medians, you're likely in

LFCNY9

New

Post by LFCNY9 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks, think I have my answer. Time to hit the Feb takers thread and start my month-long hibernation period.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”