Retaking LSAT in June for increased scholarship? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
megs2015

New

Retaking LSAT in June for increased scholarship?

Post by megs2015 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:44 pm

I've read several threads on this topic but figured I would ask again for new insight. If I feel that a June retake would result in a improved score, could that possibly result in increased scholarship $ from schools I have already been admitted to? I am not referring to increasing my score and reapplying next cycle, but to increasing for more $ to accompany my admits for Fall 2015.

My score is low enough to possibly merit a retake/year off anyway... but my thought process is that if I'm already admitted to schools I like and am just lacking $, with a June retake+improvement I could avoid taking the extra year off. Am I completely off base here?

Specifically, does anyone have any experience regarding June retakes and increased $ from WUSTL, Notre Dame, Vandy or Ohio State (my state school)?
Last edited by megs2015 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peger

Bronze

Re: Retaking LSAT in June for increased scholarship?

Post by peger » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:41 pm

You would get your score back a few weeks before orientation. I would imagine most schools would have their scholarship decisions set in stone by then, but your best bet is asking the schools directly what their policy is.

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Another thing to consider is that by June, and by the time you get your score in the summer, you would have already committed to a school (right?). The school has no incentive to give you any more money if they've already gotten your money (or a promise from you that you will give them your money).

shockingly_cavalier

New

Post by shockingly_cavalier » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:52 pm

I did this. I decided to retake in June after applying the previous cycle. I had been waitlisted at WUSTL originally, got my new (much higher) score back at the beginning of July, called admissions, and within a few days I got a full tuition scholly offer from WUSTL. I also got an e-mail from Emory (where I also had been waitlisted) admitting me and saying that they would make me a scholarship offer, but I told them I had already accepted WUSTL. Retaking in June is a smart choice, you really have nothing to lose so I'd say go for it. Can't imagine where I'd be now if I had decided not to do it.

megs2015

New

Post by megs2015 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:58 pm

I should have specified that I would likely deposit at my top two choices, and then eat one of the deposits. Losing a couple hundred bucks and gaining a significant scholarship seems like a small price to pay.
shockingly_cavalier wrote:I did this. I decided to retake in June after applying the previous cycle. I had been waitlisted at WUSTL originally, got my new (much higher) score back at the beginning of July, called admissions, and within a few days I got a full tuition scholly offer from WUSTL. I also got an e-mail from Emory (where I also had been waitlisted) admitting me and saying that they would make me a scholarship offer, but I told them I had already accepted WUSTL. Retaking in June is a smart choice, you really have nothing to lose so I'd say go for it. Can't imagine where I'd be now if I had decided not to do it.
Do you mind telling me how many points you increased your score? Or specifying where you were median-wise.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:15 pm

Though the timing of it all is precarious, some schools will be desperate to hold medians that late in the game and many schools will be insecure about people not showing up for orientation.
This cycle (with applications down) will be the best cycle ever to play hardball with a June LSAT score. Results will surely vary, but retaking will not be all for naught. You will get some traction somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”