Chromebook for law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
whm0829

New

Chromebook for law school?

Postby whm0829 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Is this a bad idea? How will a CB limit your abilities to function as a law student?

sims1

Bronze

Re: Chromebook for law school?

Postby sims1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Thinking about the same thing for taking notes since my current laptop is 17". Don't see any issues with it since you are just using it for word processing and web browsing.

florida1949

Bronze

Postby florida1949 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:30 pm

You can't install ExamSoft on a CB and you can't use Microsoft Office on a CB. But neither of these are necessarily problems, you can take exams on another laptop and work on your memo/brief in Google Docs (although I wouldn't recommend this because Google Docs sucks for anything beyond simple notetaking). Also, everyone will expect to receive documents from you in .doc form and when you save Google Docs to .doc format, the formatting will often mess up, so that's something to look out for.

Nonetheless, I use to CB to take notes and I love it.

ymmv

Diamond

Postby ymmv » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:44 pm

florida1949 wrote:You can't install ExamSoft on a CB and you can't use Microsoft Office on a CB. But neither of these are necessarily problems, you can take exams on another laptop and work on your memo/brief in Google Docs (although I wouldn't recommend this because Google Docs sucks for anything beyond simple notetaking). Also, everyone will expect to receive documents from you in .doc form and when you save Google Docs to .doc format, the formatting will often mess up, so that's something to look out for.

Nonetheless, I use to CB to take notes and I love it.

Yeah, I think examsoft and Word/Pages compatibility are basic prerequisites for any law school laptop. CB is only acceptable if you have another machine.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:46 pm

LAWYER2

Silver

Postby LAWYER2 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:00 am

You don't need much beyond Internet capability and the ability to run word processing apps.

Crowing

Gold

Postby Crowing » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:07 pm

I actually would have considered this but I happen to go to a school that doesn't have internet in the classrooms

ymmv

Diamond

Postby ymmv » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Crowing wrote:I actually would have considered this but I happen to go to a school that doesn't have internet in the classrooms

They have law schools in the Congo?

Crowing

Gold

Postby Crowing » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:14 pm

ymmv wrote:
Crowing wrote:I actually would have considered this but I happen to go to a school that doesn't have internet in the classrooms

They have law schools in the Congo?

LJL at this site: http://www.hg.org/law-schools-democrati ... -congo.asp

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Dads707

New

Postby Dads707 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:46 pm

sublime wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:You don't need much beyond Internet capability and the ability to run word processing apps.

examsoft is kind of important.

Any new support for examsoft with Chromebook?

Any issues with using Chromebook as a portable with a Windows as a backup?

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Dads707 wrote:
sublime wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:You don't need much beyond Internet capability and the ability to run word processing apps.

examsoft is kind of important.

Any new support for examsoft with Chromebook?

Any issues with using Chromebook as a portable with a Windows as a backup?

Not that I can tell. Using a chromebook for notetaking and other miscellaneous stuff would probably be fine, but you will want a reliable computer that runs examsoft for exams.

Babum

Bronze

Postby Babum » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:57 pm

I don't think it is that big of a deal. At my school you can take exams in the computers lab if you do not want to use your own laptop. Also, while Onenote won't work as an app (you could try their online app) there are other alternatives native to chrome. I would personally not get a CB for law school, but you do you.

Famous

New

Postby Famous » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:28 pm

Honestly, Chromebooks are overrated. I don't see the point in limiting your computing capabilities when you can buy a similarly priced and sized laptop that has Windows. You gain nothing from Chromebooks, besides maybe coming off as savvy for using a fad technology. Stick with the tried and true.

Dads707

New

Postby Dads707 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:52 am

Famous wrote:Honestly, Chromebooks are overrated. I don't see the point in limiting your computing capabilities when you can buy a similarly priced and sized laptop that has Windows. You gain nothing from Chromebooks, besides maybe coming off as savvy for using a fad technology. Stick with the tried and true.

Laptops with Windows under $200? Where do I find these?

Famous

New

Postby Famous » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:10 pm

Dads707 wrote:
Famous wrote:Honestly, Chromebooks are overrated. I don't see the point in limiting your computing capabilities when you can buy a similarly priced and sized laptop that has Windows. You gain nothing from Chromebooks, besides maybe coming off as savvy for using a fad technology. Stick with the tried and true.

Fair, not that cheap. But it's still worth dishing out a couple hundred more for a laptop with Windows.

Babum

Bronze

Postby Babum » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:29 pm

It really depends. I think Chromebooks are helpful when you already have a regular laptop and need one that is more mobile (a rather odd thing to say but I stand by it). It is a cheap alternative that you can use to travel, media, etc.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:00 pm

Dads707 wrote:

The HP Stream laptops were decently reviewed (they used Celeron processors to achieve the cost savings to hit that price point), though I'm not sure if they still make them.

Dads707

New

Postby Dads707 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:23 am

Famous wrote:Fair, not that cheap. But it's still worth dishing out a couple hundred more for a laptop with Windows.

bk1 wrote:The HP Stream laptops were decently reviewed (they used Celeron processors to achieve the cost savings to hit that price point), though I'm not sure if they still make them.

Thanks for the insight. Just looking for cheap portability so when I inevitably drop/throw it I won't be out much and will still have a back-up in the form of another PC at the apartment.

Came across this looking for the Stream:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView ... quantity=1

They show an MSRP of $299, but it drops to $199 when it goes in the cart.

Return to “Law School FAQ?