Is YHS really just YH? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
juzam_djinn

Bronze

Re: Is YHS really just YH?

Post by juzam_djinn » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:54 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:If we're comparing stupid unicorn outcomes, I'd rather be Peter Theil than any SOCTUS justice.
then you must not love the law, brother

LSATneurotic

Silver

Post by LSATneurotic » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:01 pm

hereisonehand wrote:Just the sort of thing that needed to be necro'd today; great fucking work.
Thank you, thank you. I couldn't let such a scintillating debate die so quickly.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:14 pm

It's Y..........H...S.

The idea that S>H was popular with some people recently but it's fading.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:47 pm

YS>C>H

kjartan

Gold

Post by kjartan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:56 pm

jrf12886 wrote:It's Y..........H...S.

The idea that S>H was popular with some people recently but it's fading.
You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

euskadi

Bronze

Post by euskadi » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:43 pm

3L at H who loves the school and has had an amazing experience

For the purposes of this conversation, to me it seems clear that S > H—I would prefer to graduate both at median and at the bottom of the class from Stanford.

Frankly, I think H only stands out if you're interested in business/banking/consulting, have solid grades, and a bit of social tact. If you put forth some energy, take advantage of HBS/networking, a lot of doors open (I've experienced this much as someone with a humanities background and a bit of unrelated experience). I have no data from Y or S to substantiate my claim that H is somehow better, though. Would be very happy to be wrong—would prefer that other students have similar opportunities.

If you want to be a lawyer—to litigate, to clerk, to work in government—my impression is that YS >> H. Nothing about my experience at H makes me think it's inadequate in any of these categories; the classmates I know seem to have had fantastic fortune. But it is wrong to assume that YS students could not do better, or to stand behind some misperceived historical sense of "prestige" simply because your high school classmates would think more highly of your having chosen H...

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Yeah. The clerkship stats we have, the atmosphere, and the job outcomes of the older students who have straight Ps are all really comforting at Stanford.

As someone who chose between all 3/Ruby/etc, I'm really happy with the choice to this point.

NEdelton1987

New

Post by NEdelton1987 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:07 pm

euskadi wrote:3L at H who loves the school and has had an amazing experience

For the purposes of this conversation, to me it seems clear that S > H—I would prefer to graduate both at median and at the bottom of the class from Stanford.

Frankly, I think H only stands out if you're interested in business/banking/consulting, have solid grades, and a bit of social tact. If you put forth some energy, take advantage of HBS/networking, a lot of doors open (I've experienced this much as someone with a humanities background and a bit of unrelated experience). I have no data from Y or S to substantiate my claim that H is somehow better, though. Would be very happy to be wrong—would prefer that other students have similar opportunities.

If you want to be a lawyer—to litigate, to clerk, to work in government—my impression is that YS >> H. Nothing about my experience at H makes me think it's inadequate in any of these categories; the classmates I know seem to have had fantastic fortune. But it is wrong to assume that YS students could not do better, or to stand behind some misperceived historical sense of "prestige" simply because your high school classmates would think more highly of your having chosen H...
Even if you're interested in business/banking/consulting, S is probably a better choice. At S, you have access to all of the banking/consulting opportunities that JDs at H have. At S, you also have access to VC/startup opportunities that JDs at H almost never have. At S, students have better access to top law firms, top clerkships, opportunities to work for professors' private consulting businesses, etc. on a per capita basis.

Disclaimer: I chose H over Y/S/Hamilton/Ruby, so I have no personal bias towards S. All of the above is based on what I heard from 10+ college friends at both places.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:39 pm

NEdelton1987 wrote:Disclaimer: I chose H over Y/S/Hamilton/Ruby, so I have no personal bias toward S
not biased, but...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:57 am

there was absolutely no justification for bumping this thread

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:02 am

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:15 am

its P > YS > H

PBJones

New

Post by PBJones » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:22 am

This website is a joke! People are actually stupid enough to base things off of Supreme Court justices? Why not, um, Supreme Court clerkships? (Which are made up of graduates from today, rather than from the 1950s, when H did=Y and Stanford was well below)

The real mystery is why Harvard is considered a peer of Yale. It is not in the same league as Yale. It is a peer of Stanford and Chicago. This is clear to anyone who bases their views on statistics rather than on what their fraternity brothers think of Harvard.

Per Wikipedia: "According to Harvard Law's 2013 ABA-required disclosures, 86.9% of the Class of 2013 obtained full-time, long-term, JD-required employment nine months after graduation.[8] Harvard Law School graduates have accounted for 568 judicial clerkships in the past three years,[when?] including one-quarter of all Supreme Court clerkships.[9] Adjusted for its student body size (Harvard's class is roughly three times bigger than those of most peer institutions), this put Harvard in second place, with 1 percentage point more clerkships than third-place University of Chicago Law School, and about half as many clerkships as Yale Law School."

And

"More than 120 from the last five graduating classes have obtained tenure-track law teaching positions.[35] Adjusted for student body size, this puts Harvard in second place among U.S. law schools, about 2 percentage points ahead of Stanford and Chicago (which tied for third place) but well behind Yale, which (adjusted for class size) had three times as many graduates appointed to tenure track teaching positions."

Harvard is not in the same league as Yale. And it's crazy to turn down a Ruby for Harvard. Everyone says that you have a much better chance of getting a unicorn job (academia, SCOTUS clerkships) from H than at C but none of the stats bear that out. Unlike TLS-ers, employers don't give two shits about lay rep.
Last edited by PBJones on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:25 am

Clerkships suck

Poopface

New

Post by Poopface » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:40 am

PBJones wrote:This website is a joke! People are actually stupid enough to base things off of Supreme Court justices? Why not, um, Supreme Court clerkships? (Which are made up of graduates from today, rather than from the 1950s, when H did=Y and Stanford was well below)

The real mystery is why Harvard is considered a peer of Yale. It is not in the same league as Yale. It is a peer of Stanford and Chicago. This is clear to anyone who bases their views on statistics rather than on what their fraternity brothers think of Harvard.

Per Wikipedia: "According to Harvard Law's 2013 ABA-required disclosures, 86.9% of the Class of 2013 obtained full-time, long-term, JD-required employment nine months after graduation.[8] Harvard Law School graduates have accounted for 568 judicial clerkships in the past three years,[when?] including one-quarter of all Supreme Court clerkships.[9] Adjusted for its student body size (Harvard's class is roughly three times bigger than those of most peer institutions), this put Harvard in second place, with 1 percentage point more clerkships than third-place University of Chicago Law School, and about half as many clerkships as Yale Law School."

And

"More than 120 from the last five graduating classes have obtained tenure-track law teaching positions.[35] Adjusted for student body size, this puts Harvard in second place among U.S. law schools, about 2 percentage points ahead of Stanford and Chicago (which tied for third place) but well behind Yale, which (adjusted for class size) had three times as many graduates appointed to tenure track teaching positions."

Harvard is not in the same league as Yale. And it's crazy to turn down a Ruby for Harvard. Everyone says that you have a much better chance of getting a unicorn job (academia, SCOTUS clerkships) from H than at C but none of the stats bear that out. Unlike TLS-ers, employers don't give two shits about lay rep.

Col > Chi

PBJones

New

Post by PBJones » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:06 am

Poopface wrote:
PBJones wrote:This website is a joke! People are actually stupid enough to base things off of Supreme Court justices? Why not, um, Supreme Court clerkships? (Which are made up of graduates from today, rather than from the 1950s, when H did=Y and Stanford was well below)

And

Col > Chi
Yep. It's better, even though it has about 1/3rd of the placement into academia and SCOTUS clerkships, because Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Ivy League. It's also better than Stanford because there have only been 2 SLS Justices, but there have been like 7 Columbia!

LSATneurotic

Silver

Post by LSATneurotic » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:38 pm

I think people try too hard to reduce this debate to simplistic statistics and numbers. Any student who does well at any of the three can go on to achieve anything he/she wants. And your grades in law school are not a function of clerkship rates or representation in academica: it's a funciton of how happy you are, how hard you work, and how well you fit into a school's culture, among other nonquantifiable factors. Futhermore, if you are blessed with choosing between H, Y, or S, I think it's safe to say that you are going to do just fine in school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:45 pm

YSCC imo

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:46 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:YSCC imo
YSCCNMVDCGTVCH

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:47 pm

fats provolone wrote:
YSCCNMVDCGTVCH
rancid anti-Penn trolling

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
fats provolone wrote:
YSCCNMVDCGTVCH
I don't even know what the last "C" is

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
fats provolone wrote:
YSCCNMVDCGTVCH
I don't even know what the last "C" is
Colombia

LSATneurotic

Silver

Post by LSATneurotic » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Or is it really just H?

fratstar1

Bronze

Post by fratstar1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:17 pm

txdude45 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:
unless ginsburg resigned, she's a cls grad - not all hy. also whoever they nominate to replace her could be SLS!
I'd bet on the next President going with an underdog T2 school. Gotta show some love to the legal proletariat.
subtle elizabeth warren nod ;)

kadyevna

Bronze

Post by kadyevna » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:00 pm

well, i sense a clear anti-H sentiment here but you are not going to blame HLS, or SLS if you cannot do well after LS. admittedly, YLS grads may have a slight edge, but i think at this point, it depends much more on you as an individual to an extent that the difference between YLS and HLS or SLS is irrelevant in most career paths

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”