Finding housing as a 1L (how far is too far?) Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tmkm

New

Finding housing as a 1L (how far is too far?)

Post by tmkm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:13 pm

I was just wondering, how far of a commute would be too far of a commute for a 1L? I moved out to Los Angeles from the east coast and am currently apartment hunting with my wife. We wanted to find an apartment within walking distance from the school but we didn't like any of the ones we saw (we saw about 6). We found better options, but they were farther away from the school (6-7 miles away and 17 min drive according to google maps). That travel time can be deceiving due to Los Angeles traffic...

All told, for anyone of you who have already experienced 1L before, do you think that living that distance away from campus will/can have a negative impact on my studies?

Thank you!

ymmv

Diamond

Re: Finding housing as a 1L (how far is too far?)

Post by ymmv » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:15 pm

tmkm wrote:I was just wondering, how far of a commute would be too far of a commute for a 1L? I moved out to Los Angeles from the east coast and am currently apartment hunting with my wife. We wanted to find an apartment within walking distance from the school but we didn't like any of the ones we saw (we saw about 6). We found better options, but they were farther away from the school (6-7 miles away and 17 min drive according to google maps). That travel time can be deceiving due to Los Angeles traffic...

All told, for anyone of you who have already experienced 1L before, do you think that living that distance away from campus will/can have a negative impact on my studies?

Thank you!
I would say 20-25 minutes average commute your be your maximum, ideally. You might surprised how often you find yourself rushing to get to campus in under half an hour, and anyway you don't want to waste more than an hour a day commuting.

Unfortunately we're talking LA, where commutes are about as predictable as rain showers in Miami. 6-7 miles away is probably fine though. Just give yourself at least an hour to get to campus each day in case of traffic disasters. At the very worst you'll show up 40 minutes early to class and have extra time to review.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”