How do I politely withdraw an already accepted offer? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
aviators

New

How do I politely withdraw an already accepted offer?

Post by aviators » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:29 pm

I accepted an offer to School 1 months ago and paid two deposits for a total of $1000. School 1 gave me a generous scholarship after extensive negotiation, which I was thrilled about. However, I got off the wait list at School 2, and will be attending School 2 instead. How do I politely inform School 1 that I will no longer be attending their school? I feel guilty because School 1's administration was so kind to me when they gave me the scholarship offer.

Thank you for your help.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Re: How do I politely withdraw an already accepted offer?

Post by rwhyAn » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:39 pm

To Whom It May Concern:

I regret to inform you that I will be withdrawing my acceptance. I was recently accepted off the waitlist at school X and will be matriculating there in the fall. Thank you so much for the generous scholarship and all your help along the way, but I believe school X is a better fit for me.

Sincerely,

aviators

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:40 pm

rwhyAn wrote:To Whom It May Concern:

I regret to inform you that I will be withdrawing my acceptance. I was recently accepted off the waitlist at school X and will be matriculating there in the fall. Thank you so much for the generous scholarship and all your help along the way, but I believe school X is a better fit for me.

Sincerely,

aviators
rude

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:41 pm

aviators wrote:I accepted an offer to School 1 months ago and paid two deposits for a total of $1000. School 1 gave me a generous scholarship after extensive negotiation, which I was thrilled about. However, I got off the wait list at School 2, and will be attending School 2 instead. How do I politely inform School 1 that I will no longer be attending their school? I feel guilty because School 1's administration was so kind to me when they gave me the scholarship offer.

Thank you for your help.
Don't overthink it. Happens all the time; it's a business to them, and you should see it the same way.

Something along the lines of "Regretfully, I am writing to inform you that I will be withdrawing from _____ law school" and something thanking them for their time/consideration/interest/etc. Just stay professional. No need to express overwhelming remorse or anything.

aviators

New

Post by aviators » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:46 pm

Thank you very much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”