Quality of undergrad and success in law school... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
solitarymatch

New

Quality of undergrad and success in law school...

Post by solitarymatch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:22 pm

It seems that where you went to undergrad doesn't play much of a factor in the law school admissions process.

However, does the quality of your undergrad education strongly correlate with whether one succeeds or flounders at a top-tier law school?

I only ask after observing others nearby go on to reputable schools, only to transfer to lower tiered institutions. I remember in college asking several professors for advice, and the relationship concerning undergrad quality was implied.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Re: Quality of undergrad and success in law school...

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:24 pm

It doesn't matter.

thequigley

Bronze

Post by thequigley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:It doesn't matter.
^^^

thequigley

Bronze

Post by thequigley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 pm

thequigley wrote:
^^^

^^^so much so that I know many who went to great undergrad institutions that are now bottom 15% at TTT.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 pm

solitarymatch wrote:I only ask after observing others nearby go on to reputable schools, only to transfer to lower tiered institutions. I remember in college asking several professors for advice, and the relationship concerning undergrad quality was implied.
Do you mean this happened in undergrad (people transfering to lower-tiered schools)? Because undergrad admissions and grading are so completely different from law school that you can't really compare. So no, you don't need to go to some elite undergrad to be able to succeed at a top law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:32 pm

solitarymatch

New

Post by solitarymatch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
solitarymatch wrote:I only ask after observing others nearby go on to reputable schools, only to transfer to lower tiered institutions. I remember in college asking several professors for advice, and the relationship concerning undergrad quality was implied.
Do you mean this happened in undergrad (people transfering to lower-tiered schools)? Because undergrad admissions and grading are so completely different from law school that you can't really compare. So no, you don't need to go to some elite undergrad to be able to succeed at a top law school.
No. Some people who graduated from my undergrad went on to very good law schools, but either quit after first semester or transferred to a lower tiered law school after the first year.

Thank you for your answers.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleakchimera2

New

Post by bleakchimera2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:37 pm

"Transferred to lower tiered schools?" Is this a thing? Why on earth would anyone do this?

ETA: besides like maybe geographical considerations, I guess?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

solitarymatch

New

Post by solitarymatch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 pm

bleakchimera2 wrote:"Transferred to lower tiered schools?" Is this a thing? Why on earth would anyone do this?

Coursework apparently was too difficult? Or something happened?

One of my advisors had told me the best anyone from my undergrad got was a full ride to Georgetown, but the student in question "dropped out." Then she talked about being realistic, not being allured by names and money, etc. I was turned off at this point, but she wasn't the only person with this vibe. Then I heard outrageous stories. Like how someone at HLS murdered another because her grades were better. It all seemed like BS, but I was more curious regarding whether quality of undergrad matters. I see that it doesn't.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:46 pm

I'd argue there's some correlation. At least at my school the law review has a greater # of "elite" undergrads. I think the advantage is subtle, but two fold. Ivy-league educated people tend to be more confident in their intelligence, and confident people are less likely to get flustered under pressure. In addition, the education at top universities is better so assuming that all students had the exact same IQ, a student who went to an elite undergrad had great writing teaching.

A more interesting comparison would be to equivocate Big Law with the NBA and make a documentary called 160 Dream. to take high school students with the same #'s, have one go to Harvard and have the other go with a full ride somewhere. We'd track them both going to law school afterwards, follow them through 1L and see who wins.

If one of them gets big law, and one of them strikes out, and goes ambulance chasing. We have a potential Oscar Winner. Of course, all rights would belong to me under this post.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Your adviser is an idiot. Lol at the boomerism about being realistic. Study your ass off for the LSAT and go to a great school. No one is going to try to murder you at Harvard. Are you sure your adviser didn't see the trailer for that awful new law school tv show and make up a story?

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:52 pm

solitarymatch wrote:
bleakchimera2 wrote:"Transferred to lower tiered schools?" Is this a thing? Why on earth would anyone do this?

Coursework apparently was too difficult? Or something happened?

One of my advisors had told me the best anyone from my undergrad got was a full ride to Georgetown, but the student in question "dropped out." Then she talked about being realistic, not being allured by names and money, etc. I was turned off at this point, but she wasn't the only person with this vibe. Then I heard outrageous stories. Like how someone at HLS murdered another because her grades were better. It all seemed like BS, but I was more curious regarding whether quality of undergrad matters. I see that it doesn't.
You probably went to a small school with a population underrepresented by family members in law. A better question might be to just get figures on how many people from your school take the LSAT, which these offices should have. How's this bro raking in 50k/year to just look at charts, and still not use the right charts. We could get him a charismatic TLS'er with a 180 to both teach LSAT Classes for college credit, and provide the useful advice these guys can't all for the same 50k.

Colleges suck at using their endowments.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

solitarymatch

New

Post by solitarymatch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Mullens wrote:Your adviser is an idiot. Lol at the boomerism about being realistic. Study your ass off for the LSAT and go to a great school. No one is going to try to murder you at Harvard. Are you sure your adviser didn't see the trailer for that awful new law school tv show and make up a story?
You may read my past posts and see the environment wasn't supportive overall. I just wanted to know if there was any truth/reason to what was told to me, given that I had spoken with more than one prof. and received similar feedback.

And is there really a new tv show like that? I'm curious now. What was told to me about HLS came from someone who got their doctorate there.
Last edited by solitarymatch on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:53 pm

solitarymatch wrote:No. Some people who graduated from my undergrad went on to very good law schools, but either quit after first semester or transferred to a lower tiered law school after the first year.
Attrition at the top schools is very low, and it's really really really really hard to flunk out, so I'd suspect it's something other than not being able to hack the academics.
PepperJack wrote:I'd argue there's some correlation. At least at my school the law review has a greater # of "elite" undergrads. I think the advantage is subtle, but two fold. Ivy-league educated people tend to be more confident in their intelligence, and confident people are less likely to get flustered under pressure. In addition, the education at top universities is better so assuming that all students had the exact same IQ, a student who went to an elite undergrad had great writing teaching.
I mean, anecdotally, most of the Ivy kids at my law school weren't on law review - it was a lot of people who'd gone to the same UG as LS (state flagship). Also, I totally disagree with the bolded. All the elite schools value research over teaching (though the elite LACs will tend to require excellence in both), so there isn't a lot of incentive/reward for profs to be great teachers. The academic job market is also so glutted, anyone who gets a job anywhere is incredibly qualified. Top universities usually do provide a lot more opportunities, but not automatically better teaching/education.

But that said, OP, it's true your advisor doesn't know what they're talking about.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:40 pm

No real correlation. I went to a TTTT state school and beat out some of them Ivy peeps. Some of them Ivy peeps kicked my ass.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Zero correlation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:02 am

Have not seen any such relation at my school

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:31 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
solitarymatch wrote:No. Some people who graduated from my undergrad went on to very good law schools, but either quit after first semester or transferred to a lower tiered law school after the first year.
Attrition at the top schools is very low, and it's really really really really hard to flunk out, so I'd suspect it's something other than not being able to hack the academics.
PepperJack wrote:I'd argue there's some correlation. At least at my school the law review has a greater # of "elite" undergrads. I think the advantage is subtle, but two fold. Ivy-league educated people tend to be more confident in their intelligence, and confident people are less likely to get flustered under pressure. In addition, the education at top universities is better so assuming that all students had the exact same IQ, a student who went to an elite undergrad had great writing teaching.
I mean, anecdotally, most of the Ivy kids at my law school weren't on law review - it was a lot of people who'd gone to the same UG as LS (state flagship). Also, I totally disagree with the bolded. All the elite schools value research over teaching (though the elite LACs will tend to require excellence in both), so there isn't a lot of incentive/reward for profs to be great teachers. The academic job market is also so glutted, anyone who gets a job anywhere is incredibly qualified. Top universities usually do provide a lot more opportunities, but not automatically better teaching/education.

But that said, OP, it's true your advisor doesn't know what they're talking about.
Agreed with Crowing that I haven't noticed it here, though who knows - we'll see when LR gets announced. But I'd be very surprised if there were any connection. Some of the people I know who did very well went to no-name undergrads.

The thing about elite undergrads is that it's very hard to do poorly in non-STEM degree programs - believe me, I tried my hardest to not do any work/not go to classes/be drunk all the time in undergrad, and graduated with a 3.65. There is an enormous safety net at these schools. Someone who did really well at a state flagship was actually the cream of the crop there, as opposed to someone who slacked off and may have had a similar GPA at a higher-ranked private university.

Most of my undergrad writing profs were grad-student TAs anyway. The school did focus on writing, but freshmen undergrads don't.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”