Type of Work Experience vs. Obsolete or Unrelated Work Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tasmith

New

Type of Work Experience vs. Obsolete or Unrelated Work

Post by tasmith » Wed May 07, 2014 1:17 pm

I recently earned my undergraduate degree and went straight to work full-time for a special district of government. Knowing that a lot of law schools do not consider applicants with little to no work experience, I decided to pursue this full time experience emphasizing the government aspect of it. In a year or so when I apply to law school, will my work experience and its association with the government carry more weight than other applicants with work experience that has no relation to the law, political science, or government administration?

-The special district of government is an Appraisal District for a very large county in the state of Texas.

Also my undergraduate GPA at the time of graduation was not superb but over the duration of my undergraduate career is rose very quickly from the low point it started out from due to a poor performance freshmen year. My major was Communications and my minor was Legal Studies. Will that minor aid in the application process in correlation to my undergraduate GPA and provide any sort of compensation where the GPA adds negative influence?

twenty

Gold

Re: Type of Work Experience vs. Obsolete or Unrelated Work

Post by twenty » Wed May 07, 2014 4:05 pm

tasmith wrote:Knowing that a lot of law schools do not consider applicants with little to no work experience
That is, VERY UNFORTUNATELY, not true. :|
In a year or so when I apply to law school, will my work experience and its association with the government carry more weight than other applicants with work experience that has no relation to the law, political science, or government administration?
Not really, no.
Also my undergraduate GPA at the time of graduation was not superb
They will care a lot about this.
but over the duration of my undergraduate career is rose very quickly from the low point it started out from due to a poor performance freshmen year.
They will care a little about this, but so little it won't even be noticeable in your cycle.
My major was Communications and my minor was Legal Studies.
If they care about this, it will hurt you. But they won't care about this.
Will that minor aid in the application process in correlation to my undergraduate GPA and provide any sort of compensation where the GPA adds negative influence?
Not even close. The only way you might be able to compensate for a really low GPA is to become a Navy SEAL, win a medal at the Olympics, be appointed to the president's cabinet, etc. Your best bet at this point is to take the LSAT super seriously (because that's the only thing you can control at this point) and do the best you can. If your GPA is higher than 3.0, you'll be a splitter, but you won't be locked out of top schools w/money if your LSAT is good enough. If your cumulative GPA is lower than 3.0, you're looking at Northwestern at sticker on the high end.

tasmith

New

Post by tasmith » Wed May 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Quote:

My major was Communications and my minor was Legal Studies.

If they care about this, it will hurt you. But they won't care about this.

-Why would that hurt me?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed May 07, 2014 4:49 pm

Because communications is hugely inflated and even more worthless. You might have gotten some minor leeway if you were a STEM major and had a terrible GPA (though again, not much).

But even still, no one will care what your major was in.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed May 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tasmith

New

Post by tasmith » Thu May 08, 2014 9:37 am

Makes sense, looks like I'll bust my ass working and studying for the LSAT until the time comes to take it. I can always start off at a subpar law school and then transfer, as several friends have taken that route. UNT Law's first inaugural class starts in the fall, which is potentially good so I wouldn't have to leave DFW. There is also Wesleyan which is now A&M which changes things. Either way I appreciate the input.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu May 08, 2014 9:56 am

As a rule, do not go to a school you wouldn't be proud to graduate from, and do not go to a school with the intent to transfer to another.

Law school is not like undergrad; you can't start at a community college, do OK, then easily transfer into a good state school without concern. Transfer admissions are really competitive -- you would have to have been a serious candidate as a OL, and, particularly if you're at a brand new school, finish at the very top of your class to transfer anywhere worth going. And even if you get in as a transfer, it'll probably be at sticker price, and you'll likely be disadvantaged at OCI. Retaking the LSAT requires so, so much less work, and is a far surer bet.

There are a ton of law schools in Texas, but if you can't get into one of UT, SMU, Houston and maybe Baylor, it's most likely a pretty/really bad idea to go. You've got to retake!

tasmith

New

Post by tasmith » Thu May 08, 2014 10:18 am

TTU would be great since I completed my undergrad there and have several references from retired higher ups there, but I don't think I could spend 3 more years out in west Texas and leave the lady behind. Most of these responses are somewhat dissuading but I'll keep a positive attitude and mindset and work hard on the LSAT. I've overcome academic hardship before and I can do it again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”