How to create "ties" to an area? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

How to create "ties" to an area?

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:57 pm

I grew up in the Northeast but don't want to go back and work there. In any case, I would literally love to work just about anywhere but the Northeast including South, Midwest, Pacific Northwest and/or SoCal. Problem is - how does one go about convincing firms that they will stay in that specific area without familial "ties" or any cognizable connection to the area? Appreciate any info or experiences from those who have trodden the path before - thanks!

jthomas.7489

New

Re: How to create "ties" to an area?

Post by jthomas.7489 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:09 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:I grew up in the Northeast but don't want to go back and work there. In any case, I would literally love to work just about anywhere but the Northeast including South, Midwest, Pacific Northwest and/or SoCal. Problem is - how does one go about convincing firms that they will stay in that specific area without familial "ties" or any cognizable connection to the area? Appreciate any info or experiences from those who have trodden the path before - thanks!
Join the National Guard of a state where you would like to live should do it.

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:30 pm

lol that's certainly a strong sign of commitment

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 pm

lie

manillabay

Bronze

Post by manillabay » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:34 pm

Meet & Greet. Buy people drinks. Take them to your dad's country club, things like that. You just gotta wag some tails for a bit but upward mobility isn't hard w/ a little money & personality

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:36 pm

Summer 1L and 2L years in a specific city you love, have a convincing reason why you love that city, and graduate at the top of your class.

If you haven't started law school yet, work in that city for a year or two.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:39 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:I grew up in the Northeast but don't want to go back and work there. In any case, I would literally love to work just about anywhere but the Northeast including South, Midwest, Pacific Northwest and/or SoCal. Problem is - how does one go about convincing firms that they will stay in that specific area without familial "ties" or any cognizable connection to the area? Appreciate any info or experiences from those who have trodden the path before - thanks!
The need for ties becomes less necessary the higher ranked school you can attend and the better your GPA is. So my advice would be to get into the best school possible and do as well as possible (which is the standard TLS advice for everybody).

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:46 pm

Work in the area for two years after graduation. Go to school in the area. Start seriously dating someone in the area (and get married in 3L before you start big law). Edit: Or just say you will.

Getting grilled on ties sucks. The sooner you get past that topic the sooner you can have a natural, fun conversation. Of course, if you grew up in the same town as the partner you're interviewing with, you get an offer.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:51 pm

manillabay wrote:Meet & Greet. Buy people drinks. Take them to your dad's country club, things like that. You just gotta wag some tails for a bit but upward mobility isn't hard w/ a little money & personality
God, you are such a terrible poster.

OP, I think it is possible to create ties to a region by attending law school there. It's not just that going to law school there shows you want to be in that region (though this is part of it), it's that if you're local you can more easily do all the other things that create ties: work (over the summers, obviously, but also during the school year); join a local Inn of Court & go to meetings; go to local free CLEs (more useful if you know what practice area you're interested in, but if you do they can be a good way to meet people); do informational interviews; join the local bar association and go to events. Also all the stuff that was described in the recent networking post (http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... g#p7561986) - if you do that intensively in a particular market, and make clear to all the people you talk to that you want to stay in that market, I think it will help.

(And, of course, have the other qualifications that make you a competitive candidate. :P )

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks everybody this was all very informative - in summary meet & greet lunches and networking opportunities will be key along with grades, 1L and 2L summer jobs, and potentially finding a SO with same area in mind (as an anchor point of insurance for the firm) all of which could potentially function cumulatively to my benefit during OCI to improve my chances of landing the job in desired area/city - appreciate the insight everybody!

Tuxedo

New

Post by Tuxedo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:14 am

This is a helpful thread.

By the time I attend law school, I will have lived in my current city for 8 years. I might not attend law school here, but I will probably try to find a job here. I have lots of ties (from a teaching gig, grad school, getting married, church, etc.) to the area as well. One of my mentors throughout the whole law school application process is a partner at a large firm here.

Assuming that the firm was hiring, would that be a shoe-in? Or would ties to such a partner be a good thing in the city regardless of where I was applying?

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:49 pm

pretty sure 8 years is enough of a tie.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”