How easy is it to defer from a T14 and get a job? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
throwaway1901

New

How easy is it to defer from a T14 and get a job?

Post by throwaway1901 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:16 am

I'm applying this cycle and I'm pretty optimistic about being accepted into some good schools. Unfortunately, I have no substantive work experience going into law school and hope to change that if possible. My undergrad is far from prestigious, and honestly the job opportunities coming from here are bleak. However, I would imagine that if I apply to law-related jobs with a degree and an acceptance to a T14 in hand I might be successful in finding a one-year gig to get me some experience in the field. Is this likely to be the case?

Bronze

Post by 06162014123 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:13 am

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PepperJack

Silver

Re: How easy is it to defer from a T14 and get a job?

Post by PepperJack » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:10 am

The people who do teach for America do well at OCI.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:53 am

Just personal experience, but I basically mass mailed a ton of Biglaw firms and prosecutors offices the spring on my senior year of undergrad. I had a pretty decent GPA but knew I needed to get my LSAT up and wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into trying to be a lawyer.

Without exception, every firm and office wanted me to make an informal two-year commitment to working there. It doesn't make sense for them to train you if you're going to work less than that.

With that said, I would recommend working for a little, especially if you don't really know what legal work is like. I was one of those "always wanted to be a lawyer" types but figured out exactly what I wanted to do by working closely with attorneys.

Full Disclosure: I'm an 0L, deciding between lower T14 schools (and massive debt) at the moment :wink:

Chekhov'sGun

Bronze

Post by Chekhov'sGun » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:30 am

If you get in to a school you want, I would advise not to defer. I don't think the WE benefit will be worth it. If you don't get the school you want, gaining some WE and retaking the LSAT could be very beneficial. I applied to a lot of legal jobs after college and was open about my law school aspirations. Jobs like paralegal/legal assistant are hard to get in the first place but once I mentioned law school they stopped listening. They don't want to hire someone who will leave soon. I ended up working in a law firm mail room and then as a court clerk. Both of these places have high turnover and didn't seem to mind that I was leaving. The fact that I could talk about going to law school was helpful in networking which has probably been the biggest benefit in addition to getting a glimpse of what legal work is like and saving up a little money. Best of luck, whatever you decide!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:36 am

PepperJack wrote:The people who do teach for America do well at OCI.
+1 - Teach for America, Military and PeaceCorps look amazing. Anything short of that wouldn't be worth it - go to school and start your real career.

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Chekhov'sGun wrote:If you get in to a school you want, I would advise not to defer. I don't think the WE benefit will be worth it. If you don't get the school you want, gaining some WE and retaking the LSAT could be very beneficial. I applied to a lot of legal jobs after college and was open about my law school aspirations. Jobs like paralegal/legal assistant are hard to get in the first place but once I mentioned law school they stopped listening. They don't want to hire someone who will leave soon. I ended up working in a law firm mail room and then as a court clerk. Both of these places have high turnover and didn't seem to mind that I was leaving. The fact that I could talk about going to law school was helpful in networking which has probably been the biggest benefit in addition to getting a glimpse of what legal work is like and saving up a little money. Best of luck, whatever you decide!
I agree that you probably shouldn't defer if you get in to a school that you want. However, my personal experinece does not support the idea that places will not hire legal assistants if they might go to law school. The firm I work for has recently only hired legal assistants that go on to excellent schools after two years of working, i.e., my experience aligns with what Winter is Coming said.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Winter is Coming wrote: Without exception, every firm and office wanted me to make an informal two-year commitment to working there. It doesn't make sense for them to train you if you're going to work less than that.
The informal two year commitment thing is pretty standard. That said, if you leave after one year, no one is going to stalk you for the rest of your career telling prospective employers that you reneged on an informal commitment in order to go to law school. People leave jobs before the two year mark all the time for less understandable reasons.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”