Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawschool111
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby lawschool111 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 am

I was recently accepted into a few schools that are ranked in the 30s and 40s.

If I were to place top 5-10% of my class in my first year, would I have a very high chance of transferring to UC Berkeley-Boalt, UCLA or USC? (I would like to stay in California which is why I listed these 3 schools)

I've heard instances of people going to lower ranked T1 schools and even T2 schools and then transferring on to top 20 law schools. What does it take to get this done?

Thanks

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 am

It's a terrible idea to attend anywhere with the plan of transferring. By definition top 5-10% will not happen 90-95% of the time.
Last edited by Hutz_and_Goodman on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 am

lawschool111 wrote:I was recently accepted into a few schools that are ranked in the 30s and 40s.

If I were to place top 5-10% of my class in my first year, would I have a very high chance of transferring to UC Berkeley-Boalt, UCLA or USC? (I would like to stay in California which is why I listed these 3 schools)

I've heard instances of people going to lower ranked T1 schools and even T2 schools and then transferring on to top 20 law schools. What does it take to get this done?

Thanks


There is an 90% chance that you won't be in the top 10%. Everyone else attending your school has the same plan - be in the top 10%. Only go to a law school at which you would be satisfied graduating in the middle of the class.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 am

Come back when you actually find yourself in this position. It's too unlikely to plan on. As people have said, plan on being Joe Average. If the employment situation for Joe Average from a particular school is unacceptable for you, then don't go to that school.

lawschool111
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby lawschool111 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:42 pm

I know that it is easier said than done. I understand that everyone is trying to be at the top of their class. My question simply was what does it take in order to transfer to a school like UC Berkeley, UCLA or USC? Given that I place top 5-10% of my class. That is all.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:00 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Also keep in mind that even if you somehow best all of the other reasonably intelligent people in your section you have to hope that your professors submit their grades on time and that you are able to get a letter of rec from a professor. These things often do not happen on time and can make transferring very difficult - even if you somehow manage to get the right grades.

So let's do this. I'll make you a real bet right now. $50 says you are not in the top 5% of your class at the end if the year. You want in?

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby cron1834 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:14 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Transferring from a T50 to a T10, like Berkeley, will require that you're in the top 5% of your class (perhaps top 10%, but things become a little more dicey at that point). That's it. So easy a caveman could do it.


:lol:

reasonable_man wrote:Also keep in mind that even if you somehow best all of the other reasonably intelligent people in your section you have to hope that your professors submit their grades on time and that you are able to get a letter of rec from a professor. These things often do not happen on time and can make transferring very difficult - even if you somehow manage to get the right grades.

So let's do this. I'll make you a real bet right now. $50 says you are not in the top 5% of your class at the end if the year. You want in?


If there is action, I want in.

lawschool111
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby lawschool111 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Also keep in mind that even if you somehow best all of the other reasonably intelligent people in your section you have to hope that your professors submit their grades on time and that you are able to get a letter of rec from a professor. These things often do not happen on time and can make transferring very difficult - even if you somehow manage to get the right grades.

So let's do this. I'll make you a real bet right now. $50 says you are not in the top 5% of your class at the end if the year. You want in?


Let's raise the bet to a few grand

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby twenty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:20 pm

If I actually thought OP would pony up the dough when he loses, I'd jump on this.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby patogordo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:23 pm

i'm willing to escrow

Jchance
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby Jchance » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:25 pm

lawschool111 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Also keep in mind that even if you somehow best all of the other reasonably intelligent people in your section you have to hope that your professors submit their grades on time and that you are able to get a letter of rec from a professor. These things often do not happen on time and can make transferring very difficult - even if you somehow manage to get the right grades.

So let's do this. I'll make you a real bet right now. $50 says you are not in the top 5% of your class at the end if the year. You want in?


Let's raise the bet to a few grand


OP has 95% chance of losing, is he retarded?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15505
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:29 pm

If only there were a way for someone with a 3.55/153 to improve his chances of getting into top schools without having to count on getting top 5-10% grades in 1L. I just can't think of what someone in that situation could do.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby Fiero85 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Jchance wrote:
lawschool111 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Also keep in mind that even if you somehow best all of the other reasonably intelligent people in your section you have to hope that your professors submit their grades on time and that you are able to get a letter of rec from a professor. These things often do not happen on time and can make transferring very difficult - even if you somehow manage to get the right grades.

So let's do this. I'll make you a real bet right now. $50 says you are not in the top 5% of your class at the end if the year. You want in?


Let's raise the bet to a few grand


OP has 95% chance of losing, is he retarded?


I'll take that action LS111 :lol: . Assuming you're not trolling and don't retake like you should....

Volake
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby Volake » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:03 am

Only do this if you find the worse outcome acceptable to you, as it's difficult to know how your skills will translate into law school exam-taking. That being said, if you're willing to work your ass off and study intelligently, you've got a better shot than others are indicating, as at just about any school, there will be a significant portion of the class that doesn't take it as seriously. TLS has several guides on how to prepare your 1L year: these helped me and can potentially help you.

But if you get a better LSAT and start off at the higher ranked school, there is a much higher chance of a favorable outcome.

fenton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby fenton » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:44 pm

In addition to the reasons stated above (you have a 90% chance of not being in the top 10%), you should not plan on transferring because transferring sucks. All law school friendships are made in the hellish first year. Transfers, on the other hand, will be treated as social pariahs and will have a very hard time making any friends whatsoever. People will assume (rightly) that you didn't have the numbers to get into "their" school as a 1L. They will be upset (again, rightly so) that your GPA and class rank will not be based on 1L core courses graded on a curve, but rather on a bunch of "Law and ..." classes that have no curve. Not having friends while in law school sucks, but what is worse is not having any sort of network of law school friends and colleagues after law school. Your drinking buddies in law school will someday be the ones referring clients to you and offering you partnership in their firm.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby toothbrush » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:46 pm

fenton wrote:In addition to the reasons stated above (you have a 90% chance of not being in the top 10%), you should not plan on transferring because transferring sucks. All law school friendships are made in the hellish first year. Transfers, on the other hand, will be treated as social pariahs and will have a very hard time making any friends whatsoever. People will assume (rightly) that you didn't have the numbers to get into "their" school as a 1L. They will be upset (again, rightly so) that your GPA and class rank will not be based on 1L core courses graded on a curve, but rather on a bunch of "Law and ..." classes that have no curve. Not having friends while in law school sucks, but what is worse is not having any sort of network of law school friends and colleagues after law school. Your drinking buddies in law school will someday be the ones referring clients to you and offering you partnership in their firm.

this is a terrible post

fenton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby fenton » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:57 pm

toothbrush wrote:
fenton wrote:In addition to the reasons stated above (you have a 90% chance of not being in the top 10%), you should not plan on transferring because transferring sucks. All law school friendships are made in the hellish first year. Transfers, on the other hand, will be treated as social pariahs and will have a very hard time making any friends whatsoever. People will assume (rightly) that you didn't have the numbers to get into "their" school as a 1L. They will be upset (again, rightly so) that your GPA and class rank will not be based on 1L core courses graded on a curve, but rather on a bunch of "Law and ..." classes that have no curve. Not having friends while in law school sucks, but what is worse is not having any sort of network of law school friends and colleagues after law school. Your drinking buddies in law school will someday be the ones referring clients to you and offering you partnership in their firm.

this is a terrible post


How so? Guy is planning to go to one law school in order to transfer to another. People are telling him it is a bad idea because the odds are against getting good enough grades. I'm telling him that even if he gets good enough grades, transferring sucks. My wife and I both transferred (different schools) and both had this experience. Lots of friends in 1L, nobody would even look at us in 2L.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby patogordo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:07 pm

fenton wrote:I'm telling him that even if he gets good enough grades, transferring sucks. My wife and I both transferred (different schools) and both had this experience. Lots of friends in 1L, nobody would even look at us in 2L.

this might be a personal problem.

fenton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby fenton » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:11 pm

patogordo wrote:
fenton wrote:I'm telling him that even if he gets good enough grades, transferring sucks. My wife and I both transferred (different schools) and both had this experience. Lots of friends in 1L, nobody would even look at us in 2L.

this might be a personal problem.


Yeah, maybe. Although it really was the first time in my life that I experienced it.

Jchance
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby Jchance » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:11 pm

toothbrush wrote:this is a terrible post

+1

fenton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby fenton » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Jchance wrote:
toothbrush wrote:this is a terrible post

+1


Fine. Screw you guys. I'm gonna go hang out in the transfer student forum. Maybe they'll be my friends.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby patogordo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:16 pm

fenton wrote:
Jchance wrote:
toothbrush wrote:this is a terrible post

+1


Fine. Screw you guys. I'm gonna go hang out in the transfer student forum. Maybe they'll be my friends.

no way dude. suggesting that transferring is ever the wrong decision makes you an instant pariah in the transfer forum.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby toothbrush » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:22 pm

fenton wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
fenton wrote:In addition to the reasons stated above (you have a 90% chance of not being in the top 10%), you should not plan on transferring because transferring sucks. All law school friendships are made in the hellish first year. Transfers, on the other hand, will be treated as social pariahs and will have a very hard time making any friends whatsoever. People will assume (rightly) that you didn't have the numbers to get into "their" school as a 1L. They will be upset (again, rightly so) that your GPA and class rank will not be based on 1L core courses graded on a curve, but rather on a bunch of "Law and ..." classes that have no curve. Not having friends while in law school sucks, but what is worse is not having any sort of network of law school friends and colleagues after law school. Your drinking buddies in law school will someday be the ones referring clients to you and offering you partnership in their firm.

this is a terrible post


How so? Guy is planning to go to one law school in order to transfer to another. People are telling him it is a bad idea because the odds are against getting good enough grades. I'm telling him that even if he gets good enough grades, transferring sucks. My wife and I both transferred (different schools) and both had this experience. Lots of friends in 1L, nobody would even look at us in 2L.

I agree going to a school and planning to transfer out if a terrible idea. 100% I agree. I just think you made general advice without putting it in the context of your own experience. Also, I've spoken to quite a few people on TLS and at my school now that have said transferring was fine, in many regards, including social. Finally, your wife went to HLS with a huge transfer class. I find it suspect that 'no one would look at her' (paraphrasing other post). Sorry you had a bad experience, though. I can definitely see how it could be possible to transfer to a smaller school with a small class where everyone is already cliqued off.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Transferring to a top 10 or a top 20 law school?

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:52 pm

lawschool111 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Also keep in mind that even if you somehow best all of the other reasonably intelligent people in your section you have to hope that your professors submit their grades on time and that you are able to get a letter of rec from a professor. These things often do not happen on time and can make transferring very difficult - even if you somehow manage to get the right grades.

So let's do this. I'll make you a real bet right now. $50 says you are not in the top 5% of your class at the end if the year. You want in?


Let's raise the bet to a few grand



I'm practicing for 6 years pal - you're not going to scare me off by raising the stakes.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest