Anybody Ever Get Intimidated?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Fish127

Anybody Ever Get Intimidated?

Postby Fish127 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Not so much a question about the law school process, but more a question going out to others in the pre-law track with a goal of BigLaw or similar.

Personally, when I'm in classes in my UG or talking with my friends and family, I come out feeling like I could walk on water. Maybe it's arrogance, but I always come out of situations interacting with people in my daily life, noticing that I just seem to get a better grasp of things than those around me. I've also always been at or near the top of my class (albeit at a random state school). When I come on TLS though, or certain other places online, I can't help but feel intimidated or even inferior to others that I interact with.

I hear stories about people applying to T14 schools with successful patents, military awards, and published novels. I often just wondering how to compete in this arena. Does anybody else ever feel like this? I might have mentioned this before, but since I started UG, on the pre-law path, I always find myself bouncing back and forth between arrogance and self doubt, both to relatively extreme degrees. Just wondering if I was alone here or anybody else has had similar thoughts. At the moment I stress about my ability to get into a T14 law school, I don't even want to think about how bad it will be if/when I actually start.
Last edited by Fish127 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Re: Anybody Ever Get Intimidated?

Postby ph14 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Fish127 wrote:Not so much a question about the law school process, but more a question going out to others in the pre-law track with a goal of BigLaw or similar.

Personally, when I'm in classes in my UG or talking with my friends and family, I come out feeling like I could walk on water. Maybe it's arrogance, but I always come out of situations interacting with people in my daily life, noticing that I just seem to get a better grasp of things than those around me. I've also always been at or near the top of my class (albeit at a random state school). When I come on TLS though, or certain other places online, I can't help but feel intimidated or even inferior to others that I interact with.

I hear stories about people applying to T14 schools with successful patents, military awards, and published novels. I often find myself wondering how to compete with people like this. Does anybody else ever feel like this? I might have mentioned this before, but since I started UG, on the pre-law path, I always find myself bouncing back and forth between arrogance and self doubt, both to relatively extreme degrees. Just wondering if I was alone here or anybody else has had similar thoughts.

Yep. It can be tough. At my school there are Rhodes Scholars, HYSP summa/magna cum laude students, and students with all other sort of incredibly prestigious awards and backgrounds. You just got to believe in yourself. You got into the school, that means you can compete with everyone else. You just got to put your head down, work hard, and do your best and hope for the best. Also, you can take some comfort in that pre-law accommodates don't seem to be too predictive of law school success, as a general matter.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Fish127 wrote:I hear stories about people applying to T14 schools with successful patents, military awards, and published novels.

You know what all three of those have in common? Not one of them= doing well in law school.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:24 pm

The people are pretty normal. Mostly just people who did reasonably well in college and then got a high LSAT. That's pretty much it.

objecion

Postby objecion » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Her father is a famous surgeon, uncle Bob golfs with Trump, her mom flew her to the islands last weekend. Where did you summer? (They’re not always talking about firms). Personally, I don’t believe anyone tries to be intimidating, that’s the speak they are accustom to. If you do not know who Louis Vuitton is or that Chanel makes more than just perfume, life will be much simpler. It’ll all work out.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:45 pm

You're both cocky and riddled with self-doubt?

Try not to be too much of a gunner when you actually get to law school.

And yeah, you'll meet people who are richer than you, smarter than you, a better person than you, etc. But that's just life, that phenomenon is not limited to law school.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:47 pm

BigZuck wrote:You're both cocky and riddled with self-doubt?

Tbf, I am narcissistic as fuck while being incredibly insecure. It's not far-fetched.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:01 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Tbf, I am narcissistic as fuck while being incredibly insecure. It's not far-fetched.

Oh, for sure. There's tons of people like that in law school.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 pm

BigZuck wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Oh, for sure. There's tons of people like that in law school.

Also, about half the very successful people i meet tend to be just like that. Not when you initially meet them (they appear to be bonafied alpha males at that point) but after being drinking buddies for a year or two you see the insecurities in people.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:41 pm

bjsesq wrote:

me three!

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:42 pm

Also OP, just fake until you make it mang. There are a few good lectures on this kind of stuff by Amy Cuddy at HBS.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:28 pm

Don't be intimidated. You are about to enter the great equalizer. It is cool sometimes when you help out a peer and find out they are extremely wealthy or successful in other fields.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 am

You are certainly not alone in feeling both arrogant and insecure. It's called "narcissism," and law students/lawyers are famous for being afflicted by it. Hell, extend that to all sorts of "professionals," from programmers at Google to ibankers at JPMorgan. It's not that rare among the upper-middle and upper classes...not that this makes it healthy. See a shrink if you can.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:13 pm

The most productive periods of my life have been marked by an uncomfortable mix of confidence and insecurity. It keeps you from becoming complacent.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Well, obviously the ideal would be neither to be arrogant or intimidated -- which can only happen when you stop evaluating your own abilities in comparison to others. Just be happy where you are without competing.

But really, if you feel uncomfortable, spend a few years working/finding yourself. It never hurts to take more time off and I've never heard anyone regret taking time off, but I've heard plenty of K-JDs regret going straight through, even if they have good outcomes, because you miss out on having some fun before settling down in a career.

Return to “Law School FAQ”