Good Idea to Have Multiple Laptops for Law School? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
scifiguy

Silver

Good Idea to Have Multiple Laptops for Law School?

Post by scifiguy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Do you keep a separate laptop for purely school work (and literally used for nothing else) in law school?

Wondering if there would be any unusually big drawbacks to that (notwithstanding the cost of having multiple computers, which would be fine for me). TVM. :)

sublime

Diamond

Re: Good Idea to Have Multiple Laptops for Law School?

Post by sublime » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:35 pm

tsutsik

Bronze

Post by tsutsik » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:36 pm

Why would you do that?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:42 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:45 pm

I watched a law student's video blog and he advised to purchase a monitor so that you had extra screen space to view documents. But I'm a 0L so I have no idea whether that's beneficial.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:47 pm

IgosduIkana wrote:I watched a law student's video blog and he advised to purchase a monitor so that you had extra screen space to view documents. But I'm a 0L so I have no idea whether that's beneficial.
Dual monitors are quite useful.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:54 pm

I had to buy a new computer for work a couple months before I started 1L. While I wasn't happy about it at the time, it is nice to have dual screens. However, I think I'd rather have a gigantic monitor instead of two laptops, as it can be a pain to run them both.

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:01 pm

sublime wrote:I have two laptops, but it was kind of because I had to.

I had a chromebook, which I use to take to class because it is light and easy to use. But because it wouldn't work with examsoft, I had to get a real laptop (15" Thinkpad) which I use mainly as a desktop, aside from for exams and do most of my work on.

I am not sure what you mean by disadvantages. Like, what are you concerned about?

How was the chromebook? Im thinking about using one for taking notes, as its so light, but was a little worried as there is no word, so How did u take notes? Google docs?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:14 pm

sublime wrote:
deebanger wrote:
sublime wrote:I have two laptops, but it was kind of because I had to.

I had a chromebook, which I use to take to class because it is light and easy to use. But because it wouldn't work with examsoft, I had to get a real laptop (15" Thinkpad) which I use mainly as a desktop, aside from for exams and do most of my work on.

I am not sure what you mean by disadvantages. Like, what are you concerned about?

How was the chromebook? Im thinking about using one for taking notes, as its so light, but was a little worried as there is no word, so How did u take notes? Google docs?

Yea, most of my classes don't allow laptops, but yea I mainly use google docs. Although I think there are Microsoft Office Web Apps that you can use that I have been too lazy to set up.

I think it is great for what it is: A cheap, light, quick laptop for webbrowsing, email, and basic word processing/spredsheet work in a pinch.
Thank you!, I think its pretty good for its price, and will look into it, and do you have that 250 dollar google one or the asus one.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:17 pm

scifiguy wrote:Do you keep a separate laptop for purely school work (and literally used for nothing else) in law school?

Wondering if there would be any unusually big drawbacks to that (notwithstanding the cost of having multiple computers, which would be fine for me). TVM. :)
There's no need to do this - as long as your laptop will run examsoft (or whatever exam software your law school uses, if it uses any at all), you can just use whatever laptop you use for the rest of your life for school stuff as well. I mean, if you have two laptops and want to do this, sure, and having a really light minimal thing for class notes and another computer for working at home makes sense, too, but it's not necessary. (And I know that I would invariably want something on the one computer while working on the other, which would annoy me.)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Keep everything in the cloud. Dropbox/Google/SkyDrive/whatever. Have it all syncing constantly. Have an external monitor (I recommend one that can turn vertically) for reading/writing work.

I have my old 17" beast of a laptop sitting on a shelf. I was glad for that when the hard drive died in my new laptop. I ran home and was up and running in the exact same file I'd been taking note in earlier in 20 minutes. But I wouldn't buy a second new computer just to have it on hand.

Now I have a Surface 2 with the Type Cover, and have actually used it instead of a computer in several classes. It's not a 100% laptop replacement, but it's synced to the same files, has full Office 2013, and just for straight note-taking it's fine. It's also really nice for reading PDFs of cases and articles--much nicer than leaning over a laptop at a desk.

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:22 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Keep everything in the cloud. Dropbox/Google/SkyDrive/whatever. Have it all syncing constantly. Have an external monitor (I recommend one that can turn vertically) for reading/writing work.

I have my old 17" beast of a laptop sitting on a shelf. I was glad for that when the hard drive died in my new laptop. I ran home and was up and running in the exact same file I'd been taking note in earlier in 20 minutes. But I wouldn't buy a second new computer just to have it on hand.

Now I have a Surface 2 with the Type Cover, and have actually used it instead of a computer in several classes. It's not a 100% laptop replacement, but it's synced to the same files, has full Office 2013, and just for straight note-taking it's fine. It's also really nice for reading PDFs of cases and articles--much nicer than leaning over a laptop at a desk.
hey! does the surface have the capability to run exam soft?, and do you use the surface to take notes in class? Thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:23 pm

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Keep everything in the cloud. Dropbox/Google/SkyDrive/whatever. Have it all syncing constantly. Have an external monitor (I recommend one that can turn vertically) for reading/writing work.

Is there anyway to do this with dropbox? I've noticed that it doesn't seem to sync automatically? For example, i'll write a paper, save it in my dropbox folder. Then i'll update it. But if I try and access it on the cloud within a day or two, only the 1st version will be available.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:32 pm

ph14 wrote:

Is there anyway to do this with dropbox? I've noticed that it doesn't seem to sync automatically? For example, i'll write a paper, save it in my dropbox folder. Then i'll update it. But if I try and access it on the cloud within a day or two, only the 1st version will be available.
You have to install the Dropbox software to your computer and it integrates with Explorer. It creates a local Dropbox folder on your system that automatically syncs, and you just store all your school stuff in there. It works perfectly.

I actually have my Dropbox nested inside my SkyDrive so that my Surface (works better with SkyDrive) can also sync. If I change a file on either of my laptops or on my Surface and save it, the changed file syncs to both clouds and then to every computer/tablet the next time it turns on.
deebanger wrote:hey! does the surface have the capability to run exam soft?, and do you use the surface to take notes in class? Thank you!
The Surface 2 can only install apps from the Microsoft Store. The Surface Pro 2 is more of a full computer (and costs full computer $$) and can install outside software, although I have no information about Examsoft in particular. I wouldn't want to use a Surface for exam-writing, though. Any loss of typing speed or ease navigating around multiple windows will hurt. I wouldn't even want to take an exam on a laptop smaller than 14" minimum, let alone a tablet.

I have used my surface for class note-taking. It's pretty decent for that, although I tend to carry my laptop anyway. I use it about half of the time in a class in a historic classroom where there's no laptop power and my laptop doesn't fit on the old wooden desks very well.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

You have to install the Dropbox software to your computer and it integrates with Explorer. It creates a local Dropbox folder on your system that automatically syncs, and you just store all your school stuff in there. It works perfectly.

I actually have my Dropbox nested inside my SkyDrive so that my Surface (works better with SkyDrive) can also sync. If I change a file on either of my laptops or on my Surface and save it, the changed file syncs to both clouds and then to every computer/tablet the next time it turns on.
Explorer? I have a dropbox folder on my system that purports to automatically sync, and I do store all my school stuff on there. But even when it updates and has the little green checkmark it doesn't always have the latest version (I think, mainly, when I am saving a new version of a document with the exact same name). I assume there is some sort of user error there, but not sure what.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:48 pm

ph14 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Explorer? I have a dropbox folder on my system that purports to automatically sync, and I do store all my school stuff on there. But even when it updates and has the little green checkmark it doesn't always have the latest version (I think, mainly, when I am saving a new version of a document with the exact same name). I assume there is some sort of user error there, but not sure what.
Are you opening the document IN that folder, working in it, and saving it right there in the folder, and closing it? No messing about with overwriting versions and such.

I've never had an issue except with OneNote, which seems to not actually close files when you exit (I think because it doesn't actually ever stop running). But if I make sure to actually close out of the file, it works.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Really surprised this question was taken seriously and that people recommend dual monitors and stuff.

Maybe it's the inner boomer in me asking but what exactly are you guys using these computers for (law school wise)? The only thing I do is type papers, briefs, outlines etc. and legal research. And then take exams at the end of the semester.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:Really surprised this question was taken seriously and that people recommend dual monitors and stuff.

Maybe it's the inner boomer in me asking but what exactly are you guys using these computers for (law school wise)? The only thing I do is type papers, briefs, outlines etc. and legal research. And then take exams at the end of the semester.
Anything that requires you to be looking at more than one thing at once. For example, writing a paper while conducting Westlaw research. Flip back and forth between Westlaw and your paper, or just have both up at once. Many, many other examples, especially with journal work, where you can put up a source and then compare to the document. Checking a block quotation? Enjoy flipping back and forth 10 times or you can just get dual monitors. Checking the online Bluebook, same thing, etc. etc.

There's tons of other possibilities out there of other ways you can make your life easier and more efficient by using multiple monitors.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:17 pm

ph14 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Really surprised this question was taken seriously and that people recommend dual monitors and stuff.

Anything that requires you to be looking at more than one thing at once. For example, writing a paper while conducting Westlaw research. Flip back and forth between Westlaw and your paper, or just have both up at once. Many, many other examples, especially with journal work, where you can put up a source and then compare to the document. Checking a block quotation? Enjoy flipping back and forth 10 times or you can just get dual monitors. Checking the online Bluebook, same thing, etc. etc.

There's tons of other possibilities out there of other ways you can make your life easier and more efficient by using multiple monitors.
Never done anything journal wise, that makes sense.

For legal research, I'm really weird in that I print out cases and then highlight them and write on the actual paper itself. #boomer4lyfe

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tsutsik

Bronze

Post by tsutsik » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Dual monitors are nice. But I don't know why anyone would think they need two laptops, with one devoted exclusively to law school.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:36 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ph14 wrote:

For legal research, I'm really weird in that I print out cases and then highlight them and write on the actual paper itself. #boomer4lyfe
I print out some things in PDF booklet format (my printer automatically prints 4 pages per sheet in such a way that I fold the stack over and staple it), but I try to avoid killing trees if I can. Plus you can't search a paper copy for text.

Every single lawyer's office I've been in has had two monitors, one oriented vertically. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I print out some things in PDF booklet format (my printer automatically prints 4 pages per sheet in such a way that I fold the stack over and staple it), but I try to avoid killing trees if I can. Plus you can't search a paper copy for text.

Every single lawyer's office I've been in has had two monitors, one oriented vertically. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
I don't like the asymmetry based on no rational reasoning. Is it just easier to read documents on a vertical screen? Maybe I should try it.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:46 pm

If you're using student loans to finance law school then no.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”