How will an online degree and CLEP credits be viewed?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
DebtAverse

How will an online degree and CLEP credits be viewed?

Postby DebtAverse » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 pm

I've been lurking on the forums for a few months now and finally decided to join! This seems like a great community, and I am looking forward to joining discussions and learning more about the admissions process. I am an undergrad senior planning to apply to law schools this fall.

From what I have read on the forums, it seems that a good GPA is a good GPA, regardless of major or school. I am still a bit concerned though, since I did my first two years of college through CLEP exams and transferred to an online degree program to finish. I have a 4.0, but I am concerned that it may not be weighed equally with 4.0s from highly ranked, brick-and-mortar schools.

Should I be at all concerned about this? When I am writing applications essays should I focus on explaining my reasoning for choosing to do undergrad online and through CLEPs?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by DebtAverse on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Re: How will online degree and CLEP credits be viewed?

Postby cron1834 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:59 pm

I can't speak to law admissions, but I know that it hurts you in grad admissions (fairly, imho). Law admissions are different, though - if USNWR allows them to report a uGPA like yours in the same manner as any other uGPA, then you might be okay.

Everyone is going to tell you that this makes the LSAT doubly important, which sounds about right.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Make sure you have at least 60 graded credits, or LSAC will not calculate your 4.0.

This was my mistake, and I've paid for it dearly.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:21 pm

Is your degree from a regionally accredited college? Then mozel tov, no school outside of the T10 gives a crap what institution your 4.0 came from. Kill LSAT and enjoy a scholly at somewhere in the T25.

DebtAverse

Postby DebtAverse » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Thank you for all the replies so far!

@cron1834: That is interesting to hear that online degrees and/or CLEP credits could be an issue in other grad admissions.

@twenty: Oh, good point! That is too bad the credits ended up being a problem for you. I will have sixty exactly, so I guess that should work.

@spleenworship: Yes, the degree will be from a regionally accredited college. I am looking at a few schools in the top 10 as well though...do you think the undergrad institution will be a significant factor for those schools? Is it likely to put me at a major disadvantage with the T14 schools?

Thank you all again -- this feedback is very helpful.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 pm

I was told... So, you know, anecdotal... That the top ten schools actually cared about which institution. Now, if you went to a brick and mortars online/distance division and your classes aren't marked differently on your transcript, it won't matter. But if its only an online school... Well, it won't hurt you to try and let us know the results (apart from your application fees of course) but the rumor I heard is that the top schools do care. Take it for what that's worth.

I finished my BA entirely online, but my GPA was too low to try T14s even as a splitter, so I don't have any personal evidence. Got into one (at the time) T25 though, so I know they might not care.

DebtAverse

Postby DebtAverse » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:34 am

@spleenworship: That is great information, thank you! I went to the online division of a no-name brick and mortar school, so although the name of the institution is not going to do me much good, I have heard the credits will show up normally on my transcript. I guess I will just have to try it and see.

That brings me to another question though, which is how should I handle the fact that my degree was online? I guess my concern is that, had I not wanted to transfer two years of CLEPs, keep my job in my home town, and do my undergrad degree online, I never would have gotten my degree on-campus from the school I chose for online. Would it be beneficial to explain my reasoning for online undergrad and how I think it has made me a better student or should I just avoid drawing attention to the fact that it was done online?

Thanks again!

spleenworship

Re: How will an online degree and CLEP credits be viewed?

Postby spleenworship » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:55 am

I simply never mentioned that my degree came from an online division. I mentioned working and school at the same time. I let them draw their own conclusions. I also went to a small state schools online division.

Kimikho

Re: How will an online degree and CLEP credits be viewed?

Postby Kimikho » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:02 pm

If you have an LSAT score at or above a school's median backing up your fantastic GPA, I can't see them caring about where your GPA came from. But I don't think your GPA would pull you up if you were substantially below their LSAT median.

Return to “Law School FAQ”