2 Questions On GPA Gradient & Using One LSAT Score

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
NavidsonRecord
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:25 pm

2 Questions On GPA Gradient & Using One LSAT Score

Postby NavidsonRecord » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:44 pm

.
Last edited by NavidsonRecord on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: 2 Questions On GPA Gradient & Using One LSAT Score

Postby cron1834 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:41 pm

I think you need to be on an SSRI.

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: 2 Questions On GPA Gradient & Using One LSAT Score

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Even if someone could answer these questions for you, what the hell would you do with that information? This isn't going to change anything.

Stop freaking out, calm down, and go read a book. If you're this anxious pre-law school, you're heading for a quarter life crisis right around October of your 1L year.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: 2 Questions On GPA Gradient & Using One LSAT Score

Postby Kimikho » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:14 pm

At least with the GPA, you can play with numbers on LSN to prove that they look at the hundreds place:

3.70-3.73, 170-179:
Image

3.77-3.79, 170-179
Image

Not many people put in 3.79 (they just go to 3.8, I think), and I used a wide LSAT range because otherwise there were barely any data points. Anecdotally, I think it looks like they look at the hundreth place because my Chi interview request round seemed to be pretty clearly people above a 3.8, but one or two high 3.7Xs slipped in, and the next round the floor seemed to be a 3.7, but a few high 3.6Xs slipped in. Also, if you just think about medians--the GPA is part of the US News and World Report, and law schools want to maintain their medians. the US News counts any decrease on any point (any of the 25th percentiles, enrollment, yield, an increase in admissions offers) against the school, even if it is a hundredth of a point.

As for the LSAT, from what I've seen they don't seem to look at it the first time around (a 178 is treated the same as a 160-165-178). I personally think it must play a factor in extending WL offers or tiebreakers. So if there is another 3.79/178 person but that person has two other takes, you might win out.

starrydreamz3 wrote:Even if someone could answer these questions for you, what the hell would you do with that information? This isn't going to change anything.

Stop freaking out, calm down, and go read a book. If you're this anxious pre-law school, you're heading for a quarter life crisis right around October of your 1L year.


I don't think this is freaking out all that much, especially on TLS. These are reasonable questions. There definitely wasn't need for this response, and if this is all you can offer the OP (who was essentially asking: do schools look at the hundredth place, and do they care about retakes, two very common questions), you probably don't need to post. HTH.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: 2 Questions On GPA Gradient & Using One LSAT Score

Postby cron1834 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:59 pm

LOL at several Type A overachievers squabbling about the proper level of Type A-ness. Just cop that serotonin and be happy.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: 2 Questions On GPA Gradient & Using One LSAT Score

Postby Kimikho » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:04 pm

cron1834 wrote:LOL at several Type A overachievers squabbling about the proper level of Type A-ness. Just cop that serotonin and be happy.


Do they average or just look at the highest? Asking for a friend.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: 2 Questions On GPA Gradient & Using One LSAT Score

Postby cron1834 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:10 pm

N/A: modal score.

ETA - Seriously OP, the correct response here is "keep calm and enjoy the 178."

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: 2 Questions On GPA Gradient & Using One LSAT Score

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:38 pm

scoobers wrote:At least with the GPA, you can play with numbers on LSN to prove that they look at the hundreds place:

3.70-3.73, 170-179:
Image

3.77-3.79, 170-179
Image

Not many people put in 3.79 (they just go to 3.8, I think), and I used a wide LSAT range because otherwise there were barely any data points. Anecdotally, I think it looks like they look at the hundreth place because my Chi interview request round seemed to be pretty clearly people above a 3.8, but one or two high 3.7Xs slipped in, and the next round the floor seemed to be a 3.7, but a few high 3.6Xs slipped in. Also, if you just think about medians--the GPA is part of the US News and World Report, and law schools want to maintain their medians. the US News counts any decrease on any point (any of the 25th percentiles, enrollment, yield, an increase in admissions offers) against the school, even if it is a hundredth of a point.

As for the LSAT, from what I've seen they don't seem to look at it the first time around (a 178 is treated the same as a 160-165-178). I personally think it must play a factor in extending WL offers or tiebreakers. So if there is another 3.79/178 person but that person has two other takes, you might win out.

starrydreamz3 wrote:Even if someone could answer these questions for you, what the hell would you do with that information? This isn't going to change anything.

Stop freaking out, calm down, and go read a book. If you're this anxious pre-law school, you're heading for a quarter life crisis right around October of your 1L year.


I don't think this is freaking out all that much, especially on TLS. These are reasonable questions. There definitely wasn't need for this response, and if this is all you can offer the OP (who was essentially asking: do schools look at the hundredth place, and do they care about retakes, two very common questions), you probably don't need to post. HTH.


Except OP didn't ask what the difference was between a 3.7 and a 3.8 (a question that could be pertinent to which school you should apply to, I suppose.) He/She asked whether an admissions committee member would treat a 3.78 more like a 3.7 or a 3.8. I don't think the tables can give a real answer to the question. To answer that question, you would need to get into the psyche of an admissions committee member.

Since that question is pretty much unanswerable, I think OP should calm down and not worry about something that has no bearing on decision making. I honestly believe its helpful advice for people who are willing to accept it.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bns212, Thelaw23 and 5 guests