How strictly do rolling admissions schools stick to R.A.?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
scootsy

How strictly do rolling admissions schools stick to R.A.?

Postby scootsy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:16 pm

I feel the neurosis setting in.

I applied to the UU which is a rolling admission school. Is the process fundamental? Do they review applications in the order they received? And if so, should I be more worried that applications that went complete over a month after mine have already received decisions while mine has not?

Kanye West

Re: How strictly do rolling admissions schools stick to R.A.?

Postby Kanye West » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:32 am

- Nah

- Mostly nah

- Nah

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:30 pm

more or less

did they give a timeframe?

scootsy

Postby scootsy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:25 pm

grungy89 wrote:more or less

did they give a timeframe?

yeah there is a time frame, and it isn't close to expiring. i am just getting overly anxious because i've seen a number of acceptances go to applicants who applied long after i did, and presumably before their review period should have even started.

i know i'm not a stellar candidate, but the whole process is playing head games with me.

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Don't worry. I think "rolling admissions" means that they review applications as they come in instead of letting them pile up and doing them in large batches, but I don't think it means they owe you a decision on a first-come first-served basis. "Early decision" is something different. Those that applied after you and already got in probably have better numbers, it is what it is. With applications falling everywhere the school probably is waiting for a better picture of what the entire cycle's worth of apps will look like. If you are above or near median LSAT, and to a lesser extent, GPA, I wouldn't worry. Does that sound like you?

Its also usually ok to call or email, although I think UTexas requests that you don't. Some other schools may also wish that you didn't.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:35 am

grungy89 wrote:Its also usually ok to call or email, although I think UTexas requests that you don't. Some other schools may also wish that you didn't.

H also requests you don't, but like, don't do it for any school, unless you didn't go complete or something.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Spivey has addressed this before. With a very limited number of exceptions (Yale) rolling admissions doesn't mean that they necessarily look at files in the order in which they go complete. It just means they're constantly reviewing people and offering admission. They'll still sort by numbers and look at the more competitive applicants first, among those who have submitted and not had a decision whenever they go to the pile.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:58 pm

midwest17 wrote:Spivey has addressed this before. With a very limited number of exceptions (Yale) rolling admissions doesn't mean that they necessarily look at files in the order in which they go complete. It just means they're constantly reviewing people and offering admission. They'll still sort by numbers and look at the more competitive applicants first, among those who have submitted and not had a decision whenever they go to the pile.

Thanks, I was about to answer this! I don't know what I am going to do without some of you folks next cycle, you are force multipliers.

Return to “Law School FAQ”