Taking semester off undergrad

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
SoapyIllusion

Taking semester off undergrad

Postby SoapyIllusion » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:59 pm

So I have about 3 semesters to go before I graduate but due to unforeseen circumstances it is very likely I will have to take a semester off and resume my undergraduate studies this upcoming fall. Obviously I am not very happy about this, but it is out of my control (for the record, it has nothing to do with bad grades or bad class standing). At this point, I am wondering about what I should be doing during this time off. I plan on getting a job and I have already registered for the LSAT this June. Should I continue studying for the LSAT and use this opportunity as a chance to study and score well on the LSAT and retake in September if I do not receive a desirable score? Also, will law schools view this gap in a negative light (if due to economic problems)?

Nonconsecutive

Re: Taking semester off undergrad

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Definitely look for a job, or meaningful volunteer/internship experience. I would also use it as study time for the LSAT, why not? As for it being a negative, some schools will ask you to explain it. I actually had two such gaps in my UG education, it doesn't seem to have hurt me at all since I'm performing a little above my numbers this cycle.

SoapyIllusion

Postby SoapyIllusion » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I have a job lined up that I plan on taking for the time being. I applied for an internship position at a local law firm looking for an assistant so I'll see how that goes. I also plan on explaining everything in the addendum.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:02 pm

SoapyIllusion wrote:Thanks for the response! Yeah, I have a job lined up that I plan on taking for the time being. I applied for an internship position at a local law firm looking for an assistant so I'll see how that goes. I also plan on explaining everything in the addendum.

Yep, I really don't think you'll have anything to worry about. Just be meaningful and concise in your addendum and I don't see you having any issues. As long as "economic problems" don't involve smuggling drugs or nuclear devices or anything. :lol:

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:32 am

Law schools won't look at it negatively. There's no rule that you must finish undergrad in 4 consecutive years. When you do apply, you will want to send a short addendum confirming that the break was NOT due to any academic probation or for bad grades.

During your time off, yes, definitely study for the LSAT. Schools will care about your GPA and LSAT, not about whether you took a semester off.
Getting a job would be a plus, but keep in mind, above all else... LSAT score LSAT score LSAT score.

Return to “Law School FAQ”