Waitlisted: How can I improve my chances?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawschool111

Waitlisted: How can I improve my chances?

Postby lawschool111 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:16 am

Thus far, I have been wait-listed by 5 schools. For each law school I have submitted a Letter of Continued Interest. What more can I do to improve my chances?

My resume hasn't changed much. My job has stayed the same, but since submitting my application I have become a member of several clubs and organizations. Could I also perhaps send an updated resume, although much hasn't changed?

Having been wait-listed by 5 schools is quite frustrating, but I'm just trying to figure what I can do on my part to further improve my chances. I would greatly appreciate any insight/advice.

Thanks

BigZuck

Re: Waitlisted: How can I improve my chances?

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:48 am

Retake the LSAT

apartius

Postby apartius » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:51 am

BigZuck wrote:Retake the LSAT

I thinking if you want $$$ this might be the path to take. But you can always ask for another letter of recommendation that might seal the deal for you, meet with folks at the admissions office, take a tour, and also network with some alumni that might push you over the top.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:41 am

apartius wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Retake the LSAT

I thinking if you want $$$ this might be the path to take. But you can always ask for another letter of recommendation that might seal the deal for you, meet with folks at the admissions office, take a tour, and also network with some alumni that might push you over the top.

Why wouldn't you want money?

A higher LSAT score is by far the best thing you can do to go from waitlist to accepted.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Is a June LSAT too late to be helpful as a retake for waitlist and/or scholarship purposes? I am amenable to retaking l, but I didn't have enough time to prepare properly for Feb, and I fear the same boat as OP.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:20 pm

cron1834 wrote:Is a June LSAT too late to be helpful as a retake for waitlist and/or scholarship purposes? I am amenable to retaking l, but I didn't have enough time to prepare properly for Feb, and I fear the same boat as OP.

It's definitely not too late.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:30 pm

I think I will, then. I'll likely get into some of the lower T14s, but I probably wouldn't attend with $0 in the bargain. If the consensus is that there's money left following a June LSAT score, then I almost have to retake.

That does seem late for money, tho! Maybe I'm just used to grad admissions, where money = labor pool, and the coordination is different.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:52 pm

cron1834 wrote:I think I will, then. I'll likely get into some of the lower T14s, but I probably wouldn't attend with $0 in the bargain. If the consensus is that there's money left following a June LSAT score, then I almost have to retake.

That does seem late for money, tho! Maybe I'm just used to grad admissions, where money = labor pool, and the coordination is different.

Two cycles ago I was comitted to a school, retook June, had a big jump and went from sticker to a large scholarship.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Many thanks. That's precisely what I'm shooting for. I do have a strong gpa, a few years WE, and a lgbt diversity statement, so it's not impossible for me to outperform my LSAT by a LITTLE. Still, I will plan to hit the books April and May unless I get some unexpectedly good news first.

Appreciate your insight.

Return to “Law School FAQ”