Should I go into law school or investment banking?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Ron Mexico

Re: Should I go into law school or investment banking?

Postby Ron Mexico » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:36 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
LRGhost wrote:also l-o-fucking-l at a Junior with a 3.5 at a shitty school making a shit ton of money in banking. Rethink your priorities. Big Law is not the path to riches either, bro.

dont listen to this negative bs, op

i think if you can pull that gpa up to 3.6, you can def get an IB job depending on how prestigious the state school is. one of my brother's friends got a job with about that and said it was super easy

uh, Op said it doesnt even appear on USNEWS top-200. It's probably an unknown rinky dink directional school.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:43 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:
LRGhost wrote:also l-o-fucking-l at a Junior with a 3.5 at a shitty school making a shit ton of money in banking. Rethink your priorities. Big Law is not the path to riches either, bro.

i think if you can pull that gpa up to 3.6, you can def get an IB job depending on how prestigious the state school is. one of my brother's friends got a job with about that and said it was super easy

uh, Op said it doesnt even appear on USNEWS top-200. It's probably an unknown rinky dink directional school.

Maybe OP goes to a prestigious canadian school

star fox

Postby star fox » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:48 pm

LRGhost wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:

Maybe OP goes to a prestigious canadian school

He said state school not provincial school :wink:

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:51 pm

And there really aren't any prestigious Canadian schools, at least to the extent that you'd get a sizeable boost.

star fox

Postby star fox » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:59 pm

drawstring wrote:And there really aren't any prestigious Canadian schools, at least to the extent that you'd get a sizeable boost.

I think McGill is on par with all the fancy overpriced private schools in the US.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:02 pm

I don't see McGill as fitting in with the likes of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, or MIT, and I'd be surprised if adcoms did.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:08 pm

I always thought a McGill is one of those fish sandwiches at McDonalds. Apparently it's a school I'm supposed to be impressed by?

Sorry Canada, not gonna happen

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:16 pm

Hmmm...former IBer here. I don't think many IBs hire out of law schools nowadays (I was in banking a while ago). It was quite rare then, and hiring is much tighter now. I think your life plan needs some work.

I know this is going to sound cliché, but...find something you are actually interested in. Passion can lead to results, and prestige does not always equal money. Why do you even thing you'd be good at banking? or at law? Just because you have an OK GPA doesn't mean you're gonna kill it at either one, especially not if your heart's not in it. Are you passionate about markets? Deals? Working really hard for very little praise? I second the suggestion to go over to Wall Street Oasis for some real dish...banking (and biglaw, for that matter) are not all glamour...not by a longshot. The money's good but the jobs can be bad. So I encourage you to think far more broadly. 65k base is really not that much money if you literally never leave the office. Trust me...I know.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:34 pm

You wont get a high finance gig out of undergrad with a 3.6 from a shit school. Actually , you would have already had to apply and be interviewing/accepting a summer internship with a bank or consulting firm right now if you even wanted a chance.

Ive said it before, but it unfortunately bears repeating: Law school is not a backdoor to finance. That isn't how it's done. Legal work, even corporate/transactional, is different from banking and PE. You aren't being hired to do the same work.

You wont ever get those jobs. The people telling you that you can are being sarcastic, whether or not you can appreciate the irony.

HOWEVER, since even many top law programs will take 3.6 gpa's from shit schools, you can still "make a lot of money" in law if you 1) get a 170+ on the LSAT, 2) get at least median but hopefully above grades as a 1L, and 3) bid smart & interview well at OCI and pray you don't get no-offered.

Best of luck

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:36 pm

john7234797 wrote:Learn how to program if you want lucrative career opportunities for the 21st century. Seems you're still caught in the previous century.

This.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:22 am

I agree that the best way you'll probably make money out of an unranked UG with a slightly above average GPA is by learning how to code. Developers make pretty solid starting salaries and they only care about your ability at coding so UG prestige doesn't come into play.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:48 pm

jingosaur wrote:I agree that the best way you'll probably make money out of an unranked UG with a slightly above average GPA is by learning how to code. Developers make pretty solid starting salaries and they only care about your ability at coding so UG prestige doesn't come into play.

learning to code purely for the salary is a terrible idea if you have no interest in it

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:12 am

californiauser wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I agree that the best way you'll probably make money out of an unranked UG with a slightly above average GPA is by learning how to code. Developers make pretty solid starting salaries and they only care about your ability at coding so UG prestige doesn't come into play.

learning to code purely for the salary is a terrible idea if you have no interest in it

i mean...can we just agree that pursuing any given career path purely for salary is a terrible idea if you have no interest in that career path? choosing a career that you have no absolutely no interest in (other than the compensation it provides) is a recipe for misery once you realize there are things in life money can't buy.

a.sleepyhead

Postby a.sleepyhead » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:15 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:
californiauser wrote:

i mean...can we just agree that pursuing any given career path purely for salary is a terrible idea if you have no interest in that career path? choosing a career that you have no absolutely no interest in (other than the compensation it provides) is a recipe for misery once you realize there are things in life money can't buy.

Also tbh learning to code might be slightly easier than landing an IB job for OP

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:27 am

BigZuck wrote:I always thought a McGill is one of those fish sandwiches at McDonalds. Apparently it's a school I'm supposed to be impressed by?

Sorry Canada, not gonna happen

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Law School FAQ”