Careers in International Law?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
residentemma

Careers in International Law?

Postby residentemma » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Can anyone speak to/direct me to a thread where someone explains career options in international law? Everyone on here seems to mock it as a non-existent field, but every law school has i'law classes and most have a pathway as well. As an international politics undergrad major, I'd like to see some discussion of what my options would be after law school if I decided to focus on i'law. Any (serious) help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

midwest17

Re: Careers in International Law?

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:46 pm

residentemma wrote:Can anyone speak to/direct me to a thread where someone explains career options in international law? Everyone on here seems to mock it as a non-existent field, but every law school has i'law classes and most have a pathway as well. As an international politics undergrad major, I'd like to see some discussion of what my options would be after law school if I decided to focus on i'law. Any (serious) help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

"International law" in the sense of working for the UN to resolve treaty conflicts or something basically doesn't exist. Go to YS if you really want to do that, and be prepared to still fail.

There's legal work outside of the country, though. Here's a thread discussing IHR work: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149331

residentemma

Postby residentemma » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks, never would've found that in the "choose a law school" forum, and was actually pretty helpful.

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:23 pm

International Arbitration is definitely growing, and a number of the big firms have practice areas dedicated to that. Definitely some interesting work there, though not black letter law.

A lot of American firms are opening up more overseas offices as well, at least in Korea (probably a corollary of the recent FTA).

Return to “Law School FAQ”